Make glossy plastic look nice

Still don't know what I want to do with my speakers, but it's killing me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

It this a good idea for my monitor? I don't want to scratch up with screen. What do you guys think?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Still don't know what I want to do with my speakers, but it's killing me.

Sorry, missed your "little" post... ;) No idea. As with all the other things, test on something else and see the result you get. If you like it, do it to the speakers. But personally, with what I've been able to achieve, I think they would be able to look pretty bad ass if you manage to do it nicely. I would practice this a couple of times to get the skill level up and then get myself some killer looking speakers. :)

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

It this a good idea for my monitor? I don't want to scratch up with screen. What do you guys think?

We talked about monitors a bit earlier in the thread. The main issue we could come up with is if you have on screen buttons (on the screen bezel, not the actual screen...), because you might mess up the buttons. But we are not sure and since no one has tested, we don't know. If they are on the side of the monitor though, you should probably be fine. But what you are pointing out is something to keep in mind as well, you have to be careful when doing it to not scratch the screen. That would be pretty bad...

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

Sorry, missed your "little" post... ;) No idea. As with all the other things, test on something else and see the result you get. If you like it, do it to the speakers. But personally, with what I've been able to achieve, I think they would be able to look pretty bad ass if you manage to do it nicely. I would practice this a couple of times to get the skill level up and then get myself some killer looking speakers. :)

I need new speakers anyway since my sub lacks any kick.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I've always hated the glossy finish that came with my Razer abyssus mirror (the normal one wasn't available at the time) so I figured I'd try it.

It didn't look too good at first but then i kept doing it aaaand...

DLhiCtw.png

In person it doesn't look as good as that because the inconsistent surface and scratches, it's hard to get good outcomes with curved surfaces it seems xP

Then I tried it on something with a flat surface.

mWp3GXP.png

Gorgeous.

I've always hated the glossy finish that came with my Razer abyssus mirror (the normal one wasn't available at the time) so I figured I'd try it.

It didn't look too good at first but then i kept doing it aaaand...

-pic-

In person it doesn't look as good as that because the inconsistent surface and scratches, it's hard to get good outcomes with curved surfaces it seems xP

Then I tried it on something with a flat surface.

-pic-

Gorgeous.

Amazing results! I really like how the mouse looks. I hope the picture isn't lying too much because that was a true beauty.

You got yourself a really good result with the external harddrive (?) too. Thanks for sharing your results!

What method did you use btw, sandpaper, scouring pad or something else?

I would like to know what the most common method is and what method gives the best results so that I know what to use on my "nicer" devices... :P That is why I'm asking..

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

a fellow g930 user! brushed aluminum look seems good too

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

Amazing results! I really like how the mouse looks. I hope the picture isn't lying too much because that was a true beauty.

You got yourself a really good result with the external harddrive (?) too. Thanks for sharing your results!

What method did you use btw, sandpaper, scouring pad or something else?

I would like to know what the most common method is and what method gives the best results so that I know what to use on my "nicer" devices... :P That is why I'm asking..

Thanks! Sadly, I wouldn't recommend doing it on a curved surface because it's really hard to control the scratches! The picture looked deceiving good too, I'd refrain from performing this technique on a mouse unless you really want to get rid of the glossy surface, it feels infinitely nicer to use without the glossy surface though.

I think i overdid it because i couldn't get the brushed aluminum finish everywhere on the mouse so i kept brushing it and it ended up looking all dull and scratched haha. It looked really nice when its wet though, maybe if somehow i could spray it with lacquer or something then it would look better. (but that would ruin the whole purpose of getting rid of the glossy surface, wouldn't it?)

I used a newly opened scouring pad and cleaned the residue with Windex!

Thanks sir! That's the best tip I've ever got from LinusTechTips :3
And that thing he used is found like everywhere where I live! :D
Finally, I have a thing readily available that's used in a tutorial -_-

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

Thanks! Sadly, I wouldn't recommend doing it on a curved surface because it's really hard to control the scratches! The picture looked deceiving good too, I'd refrain from performing this technique on a mouse unless you really want to get rid of the glossy surface, it feels infinitely nicer to use without the glossy surface though.

I think i overdid it because i couldn't get the brushed aluminum finish everywhere on the mouse so i kept brushing it and it ended up looking all dull and scratched haha. It looked really nice when its wet though, maybe if somehow i could spray it with lacquer or something then it would look better. (but that would ruin the whole purpose of getting rid of the glossy surface, wouldn't it?)

I used a newly opened scouring pad and cleaned the residue with Windex!

Thanks for your response! A lot of good points. I do have to agree with you on the curved surface thing, this is probably more suited for flat stuff. Curved stuff just messes up the straightness of it. Again, thanks for sending pictures of your results! :)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

Thanks sir! That's the best tip I've ever got from LinusTechTips :3

And that thing he used is found like everywhere where I live! :D

Finally, I have a thing readily available that's used in a tutorial -_-

Why thank you :)

I know the feeling, I watch tons of stuff online which are nowhere to be found in local stores where i live (I think, at least I haven't found what I'm looking for ;) ) I was really happy to see that it was as simple stuff as this that was used in this tutorial though!

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

A Anyone done it on something other than black

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Any one tried it on something other than black

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Any one tried it on something other than black

It works on red plastic! My red phantom 410 is now brushed aluminum

It works on red plastic! My red phantom 410 is now brushed aluminum

First of all, why the spam? ;)

But anyways, I would love to see it so if you could take some nice pictures of the case that would be awesome. :)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

First of all, why the spam? ;)

But anyways, I would love to see it so if you could take some nice pictures of the case that would be awesome. :)

Forum was being stupid, acidental triple post. Will take pics

Tried this the other day with my G930 headset, looks nice but it's honestly not too much of a difference. Thanks for the tutorial

Forum was being stupid, acidental triple post. Will take pics

Ok ;) Great, I can't wait to see it. :)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

Ok ;) Great, I can't wait to see it. :)

OK well I can't take pics till Monday, I'm going on a trip