144Hz monitors with similar performance to IPS coming and 1440p as well

Faa

Before I link everything etc you have to understand that AHVA (Advanced hyper-viewing angles) panels which are made by AUO have completely nothing to do with VA (Vertical alignment) panels.

Below we bring you some news from AU Optronics about some of their forthcoming panels. Surely of most interest is a new 27" panel (M270DAN02.3) currently in development which will be based on AUO's AHVA panel technology, equivalent to LG.Display's IPS and with very similar performance characteristics. This is a 27" panel with a 2560 x 1440 resolution, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 350 cd/m2 brightness, sRGB gamut and 178/178 viewing angles. Nothing special you might think - wrong! This will be the first IPS-type panel to natively support 144Hz refresh rate, something buyers have been crying out for for a long time! 144Hz AHVA and 2560 x 1440 resolution, we can't wait!

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#144hz_ips

But AHVA isn't as good as IPS.

To date there has only been one AHVA panel produced, a 27" 2560 x 1440 resolution module which has been used in only one screen.

The BenQ BL2710PT featured this new technology and gave us some insight into the performance characteristics of AHVA.

Response time specs reach as low as 4ms G2G on paper but in reality the matrix does not perform any better than the faster IPS or PLS panels. Contrast ratios can reach up to the advertised 1000:1 and viewing angles are also very comparable to IPS. There is no off-centre contrast shift like you see on normal VA panels, but a pale glow is visible on dark content from an angle like with IPS/PLS. There is no support for higher refresh rates than 60Hz at this time. All in all AHVA does seem to be very comparable to IPS in practice. It remains to be seen whether AU Optronics will continue to invest in this technology much and whether other sized panels will emerge.

thye could have simply made a 144Hz  PLS or AH-IPS panel  since the response times are nothing special

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

....this is good news?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Quoting doesn't work for some reason

If AHVA has the viewing angles then it is good enough for me, I don't do professional color work, so that little bit of drift on the color accuracy doesn't really bother me.

The only thing I want to know is how its price stacks up against IPS

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Before I link everything etc you have to understand that AHVA (Advanced hyper-viewing angles) panels which are made by AUO have completely nothing to do with VA (Vertical alignment) panels.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/31.htm#144hz_ips

Very interesting indeed. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

AHVA has better blacks and same viewing angles, just the % rgb is not there. For a gaming monitor it will be more than enough.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I use an AHVA monitor-tv- and it is great for everything-but color work I guess.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

AHVA has the viewing angles, but the color accuracy doesn't match IPS.

You haven't even bothered to check my links, it was doing better than some IPS monitors. It's just pretty much on par with IPS in terms of colors.

are you guys kidding me IPS sucks big time. i returned a stupid dell ips after 2 days of use. the IPS GLOW and low contrast...never again

They could do a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor but as anything this days it will be expensive. Just look at the ROG Swift and the TN Panel in that is cheaper than an IPS panel. 

It's a good thing you tried every IPS panel in the world to come to that conclusion.

thats why i bought a dell. to not deal with that.big disappointment

and yes,every IPS panel in the world has low contrast

I take those two over the washed out colors and the color shift every day of the week.

I take those two over the washed out colors and the color shift every day of the week.

you are talking about TN.

I ordered ROG Swift 2 days ago =/

you did good... it's a great monitor..

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Dell isn't the end all be all, they have some nice monitors but every company makes cheap stuff. Acer makes a really high quality IPS display for 1080p and the contrast ratio is great. You can adjust it with the monitor settings anyway and the 8-bit color depth makes games look incredible.

I ordered ROG Swift 2 days ago =/

This panel is still under development, will take ages before we'd see it in the stores.

AHVA has better blacks and same viewing angles, just the % rgb is not there. For a gaming monitor it will be more than enough.

Yeah, this. 

Better than spending a small fortune on a crappy TN panel. Muh miliseconds

As long as the color quality isn't degraded then this sounds awesome to me! 

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|