Let's Make A Game

Jack.EXE

Isn't that the person in N.O.V.A?

yup. pie head gets a cookie!

More like a Female Kal Warden (1 cookie for you if you know who it is)

so you mean mrs. master chief? 

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

so you mean mrs. master chief? 

Not really,

Crysis meets Halo maybe.

327px-Nova2_kal-wardin.jpg

Yes, a site would be great, but it needs to be done correctly, you should speak to kuzma, who is head of design, He knows what needs to be where, I don't really.

ok ill pm him now.

ok ill pm him now.

Awesome we need a better thing then 15 pages of comments that are mostly junk.

I still can't wait to see how this turns out, so it's great that it's getting more organized now.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Yes, a site would be great, but it needs to be done correctly, you should speak to kuzma, who is head of design, He knows what needs to be where, I don't really.

^_^ thanks for this xD didn't realise I had such an awesome title :3

The Entire Game is in the snow, it's sort of an ice age thing. caused by the moon explosion thing.

Nice setting I can see it being very nice.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Not really,

Crysis meets Halo maybe.

Nothing is sexier than a woman that can kick ass, but why can't she show off her body while doing it? 

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

Ok I am in contact with about the website kuzma plz pm me or kuzma about any ideas.

Nothing is sexier than a woman that can kick ass, but why can't she show off her body while doing it? 

^+1 We need body to be show for TressFX T+A

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

We should break it down into multiple groups. The coders, designers, artist, story writters. etc. :)

Ok so programers we need to start working on somthing post i am a programer and what laungue your are good at.
EDIT: also paste you skype or razor comms name too

CHECK LIST            

What programing laungue is the game going to use.

Website (iam working on it :) )
Name

What is the storyline (sort of done but vague)

Sounds

animations

Logo

Graphics

feel free to copy and paste and to write done next to somthing when it is done.

Anyprogress.

We need a checklist

You don't say?

After skim reading this entire thread there's things I have noted.

• You have spent over a month planning what you want in the game, with no planning on who is doing what
  • You are aspiring way to high, If you expect anything like the top level AAA games you are wrong
  • There has been little organisation over what systems you want to use in the game
  • From 20 pages of 1 thread it feels like a crowdsource for ideas, not a community making a game
  • You have all these ideas, And no name!?
  • There;s been no discussion of how you want to proceed with making the game, obviously its going to be closed source, and you will need a private repository for the code

Anyway, I'm willing to help, but you must be willing to work together and accept some of the things the programmers are going to tell you.

Some things that need deciding

Are you going to be using a game engine that's already available?

If so I suggest the Cafu engine, its free, open source, uses C++ and scripting in Lua, sounds perfect for something like this

What language? 

Well you want this game made properly don't you? Then there's only really one logical choice being C++, things we definitely are not using: Java - unless we need some form of server to run, then its a maybe, but that is not required and a bad point to aim for initially.

What Version control are we going to use?

I guess most people haven't even though about that, or even know what it is, A git repo would be great, if someone is willing to purchase a github pro account for a private repo there great, otherwise we need a server to run our own private git on.

What graphics system, OpenGL or DirectX?

Well people here have already said they want cross platform, so its OpenGL, but what Version?

Probably start with OpenGL 2.x and may move to 3.x if backwards compatibility is not an issue.

CHECK LIST            

What programing laungue is the game going to use.

Website (iam working on it :) )

Name

What is the storyline (sort of done but vague)

Sounds

animations

Logo

Graphics

feel free to copy and paste and to write done next to somthing when it is done.

Next I want to bring up some things, from this list you have your priorities all wrong..

We need to get the core game code written before we thing about things like sounds/graphics/animations

Without the core game code we can't implement any of this.

(Also please correct your literacy mistakes before posting its a pain to read..)

if it matters i have a diploma in 3d animation and game design 

This is good, take a look at the cafu engine and see what you think about it.

I just want to point out to everyone one thing, keeping a decent programmer on board with a community project is one of the hardest things to do.

Lastly! we need somewhere better to discuss this, once you come up with a name I'll make an IRC channel on freenode for the project.

All discussion will occur there and this thread will be updated with the main points, and will allow new people to come on board with the project.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

You don't say?

• You have spent over a month planning what you want in the game, with no planning on who is doing what
  • You are aspiring way to high, If you expect anything like the top level AAA games you are wrong
  • There has been little organisation over what systems you want to use in the game
  • From 20 pages of 1 thread it feels like a crowdsource for ideas, not a community making a game
  • There;s been no discussion of how you want to proceed with making the game, obviously its going to be closed source, and you will need a private repository for the code

Anyway, I'm willing to help, but you must be willing to work together and accept some of the things the programmers are going to tell you.

If so I suggest the Cafu engine, its free, open source, uses C++ and scripting in Lua, sounds perfect for something like this

What language? 

Well you want this game made properly don't you? Then there's only really one logical choice being C++, things we definitely are not using: Java - unless we need some form of server to run, then its a maybe, but that is not required and a bad point to aim for initially.

I guess most people haven't even though about that, or even know what it is, A git repo would be great, if someone is willing to purchase a github pro account for a private repo there great, otherwise we need a server to run our own private git on.

Well people here have already said they want cross platform, so its OpenGL, but what Version?

Probably start with OpenGL 2.x and may move to 3.x if backwards compatibility is not an issue.

Next I want to bring up some things, from this list you have your priorities all wrong..

We need to get the core game code written before we thing about things like sounds/graphics/animations

(Also please correct your literacy mistakes before posting its a pain to read..)

I just want to point out to everyone one thing, keeping a decent programmer on board with a community project is one of the hardest things to do.

Lastly! we need somewhere better to discuss this, once you come up with a name I'll make an IRC channel on freenode for the project.

All discussion will occur there and this thread will be updated with the main points, and will allow new people to come on board with the project.

We were thinking of using source 2 when it comes out, we are using OpenGL and OpenCL to keep from locking things down to one platform, we have no programming work as we are still waiting for an engine, but we could use source 1 and port it when it comes out.

You don't say?

What language? 

I didn't put them in any order.

The source engine is proprietary and expensive, to quote the valve website "Pricing Valve technology offers the most advanced features, tools, and support at extremely competitive prices. Discussed under NDA." Before you have even bought the software you are agreeing not to tell anyone how much it actually costs. The same goes for all well known game engines. Don't get me wrong the source engine would be great, but it is also expensive.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

You are literally naming game engines you know without actually thinking about the pros/cons. 

But again you didn't do your research, UDK doesn't support linux, and they want 25% of all royalties if we are planning on selling the game.

Pros of using the Cafu engine

• Open source with options for proprietary license
  • Uses OpenGL or DirectX
  • Works on Windows and linux currently with a MacOSX port soon
  • Has its own graphics and modeling program
  • Will compile to x86-64 and x86
  • Uses the bullet physics engine to manage most of the physics
  • Full lighting and shadows functionality

I really can't see anything wrong with it to be honest :)

You are literally naming game engines you know without actually thinking about the pros/cons. 

But again you didn't do your research, UDK doesn't support linux, and they want 25% of all royalties if we are planning on selling the game.

• Uses OpenGL or DirectX

Cafu engine doesn't look that bad either

• Uses OpenGL or DirectX

I have experience in 4 engines:

1. Unity //not using, bad multithreading support//

2. The Star wars battlefront engine (1942) //Not using, AINCIENT//

3. Source //Not using, up front costs too much

4. UDK //it's possible//

Pros of UDK

1. Lighting Effects //essential to make our game look awesome

2. Ease of programming //unreal is the most used engine ever!

3. Community support

The Unreal 4 engine demo looked awesome.

Even without *official* Linux support, we could bake some wine into the Linux release of the game.

I've never heard of Cafu before now, but we could look into it.

And about royalties? Without them, how would UDK even get fundin to keep on being awesome?

I have experience in 4 engines:

1. Unity //not using, bad multithreading support//

2. The Star wars battlefront engine (1942) //Not using, AINCIENT//

3. Source //Not using, up front costs too much

4. UDK //it's possible//

Pros of UDK

1. Lighting Effects //essential to make our game look awesome

2. Ease of programming //unreal is the most used engine ever!

3. Community support

The Unreal 4 engine demo looked awesome.

Even without *official* Linux support, we could bake some wine into the Linux release of the game.

I've never heard of Cafu before now, but we could look into it.

Yea.... Unity kind got multi-threading support with Unity4 :p so that con no longer exists and it has lightning effects support, easier programming than udk and multi-plaform support; it's looking like the best engine imo but that's just me ^_^