Intel 5960X Processor

I'm not really interested in the 5960x, but like the others I want to see how big of a difference the 28 vs 40 lanes makes. I have a 5820k on my wishlist and I'd rather put the extra $200 towards something else.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

Anandtech ran Handbrake with 2 4K video samples, Linus used 1080p

PCPer noted some limitations in Handbrake for the 5960X in their review.

handbrake.png

While we aren't using the version of Handbrake with AVX extensions included (and we will be updating this to do so soon) clearly we are running into some threading limitations of this particular encoder implementation. As a result, the 5960X is producing slightly slower results than the 4790K as well as the 4960X.

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

It seems another issue is no one might have ran the exact same HandBrake version. I myself use the latest Nightly builds as they have performance improvements, and are also working OpenCL acceleration, and also better AVX support.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

It seems another issue is no one might have ran the exact same HandBrake version. I myself use the latest Nightly builds as they have performance improvements, and are also working OpenCL acceleration, and also better AVX support.

Now if we can get all those working at the same time...

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

5930K benchmarks/ multi gpu performance please!  I may be upgrading to this next year and seeing it in action would be good.  Heck, a multi gpu showdown between the 3 processors would be really nice (hint hint).  Also benchmarks in cpu-bound games like Planetside 2 sound cool.

EDIT: It would also be useful to see what is a good threshold for what it's worth upgrading from.  especially for gamers.

PC Specs: MSI X99S SLI Krait Edition -- Corsair Carbide Air 540

2x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 -- Corsair H100i Watercooler -- EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 PSU

i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz -- 16GB Mushkin DDR4 2800Mhz -- 128GB Mushkin SSD + 120GB Kingston HyperX -- 3TB Seagate Barracuda

Now if we can get all those working at the same time...

They're working on it, although with Open collaborations like HandBrake it takes a tad longer usually. 

I'm really looking forward to it happening. ^_^

Great video. I think the multi-tasking tests would be very interesting as well as an in depth comparison of the PCI-e performance based on available lanes.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

Anandtech ran Handbrake with 2 4K video samples, Linus used 1080p

So is it the case then that more cores only helps with higher resolutions, and at 1080p or below the clock speed is more important? I said I appreciated the settings were different, but that doesn't explain the results. If 4K benefited from more cores enough to put the 5960X ahead of the 4790k, why is the 5820k slower despite having 2 more cores? Reason I ask is I do enough 1080p encoding with Handbrake that I'd consider getting a 5820k if it was going to be consistently faster than my 4770K (at 4790K speeds), but it doesn't seem like it is atm.

handbrake.png

Perhaps the stable release of Handbrake atm only supports 12 threads? Even then it wouldn't explain why the 5820k is slower than the 4790k in Anandtech's results...

Yeah that's always a problem. Personally I miss Intel QSV and I keep having to change which build I'm on to get h.265 without something else being broken. OpenCL acceleration should be interesting though.

I'll take the i7-5930K, I thank it's the best bang for you buck with the 40 lanes as a posed to the 28 lanes the 5920K has!

Compared to the 16 lanes that the i7-4770K has? (or any other LGA1150 CPU for that matter)

I see the 5820K as being a really good value for gaming, because having "only" 28 lanes shouldn't be any issue at all, even in multi-GPU configs.. I'd really like to see a comparison between the 5820K and 5930K to see if the PCI lanes make any difference, and IF it does make a difference, is the difference worth the extra $200 for the 5930K?

An overclockable Haswell hexcore for $390 is a great value. Granted, stock clocks are very low (which doesn't necessarily give me a lot of confidence in OC'ability) and platform cost is high (mobo/ram + cooling/etc), but this could make for a gracefully balanced beast machine.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Nice post, keep it up... & hats off to @nicklmg for the post,seems like you're the one posting all the new vids lately..

EDIT : linus is talking so fast , if i put a sample beat on to the video track from the begining to the end , it'll sound like a killer rap video about enthusiast grade CPU... Genius.. simply genius...

mqdefault.jpg

Do it.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

For six cores is not enough we mustith have moar, for the moar the better- Linus Book of Hardware chapter one section 3

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Hi, for the DDR4 memory comparison, I suggest using ArmA 3 as one of the benchmarks, as it's well known in the ArmA community, that giving it more memory bandwidth, yields more frames.

Specifically, going from 1600Mhz DDR3 to 2400Mhz DDR3 yields on average, 15% more frames per second.

I would be interested to see how far this scales, as nobody else seems to have done a definitive test for this scenario.

I'm thinking about getting this but I'm not sure about the board I want. I like the Asus WS but there is no USB 2 on the back.

I'm thinking about getting this but I'm not sure about the board I want. I like the Asus WS but there is no USB 2 on the back.

So? USB 3.0 is backwards compatible. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Would love to see some benchmarks between the three in regards with some maya vray 2.0 4k rendering :) 

So is it the case then that more cores only helps with higher resolutions, and at 1080p or below the clock speed is more important? I said I appreciated the settings were different, but that doesn't explain the results. If 4K benefited from more cores enough to put the 5960X ahead of the 4790k, why is the 5820k slower despite having 2 more cores? Reason I ask is I do enough 1080p encoding with Handbrake that I'd consider getting a 5820k if it was going to be consistently faster than my 4770K (at 4790K speeds), but it doesn't seem like it is atm.

Perhaps the stable release of Handbrake atm only supports 12 threads? Even then it wouldn't explain why the 5820k is slower than the 4790k in Anandtech's results...

I suspect HB uses both cores, and high clock speed, and both are very important, along with instruction sets.

My current 3.5Ghz 6 core Xeon Ivy, outperforms my old 3.33 Xeon W3680 by a good margin. A good combination of newer instructions sets, and a higher base clock.

I assume that the 4Ghz base quad brute forces its way ahead of the 5820K. Although the only way to truly know, is for everyone to use the exact same HB version, and of course having contacted the developers to explains how it works.

The way I see it, more cores for higher res, but along with high Clock speeds, and never instructions.

EDIT: I just found the  AnandTech Dual Xeon review, and in it the Highclocked 8 core 3.4Ghz Xeons Ivy-EP outperform the dual 12Core 2.7Ghz systems at Handbrake, and beat out the single new hassle-e 8 core. Although only at 4K, where even the 4790K beats out the Dual 3.4Ghz 8 Core Xeons ( E5 2687W v2 ) when it comes to 1080p

Although it does seems to have a max thread usability limit, while also strongly favouring high clock speed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8485/gigabyte-server-ga-7pesh3-motherboard-review-2p-or-not-2p/4

67546.png

67547.png

I guess you'd have to plug this problem device into the front of your case! Oh darn!  :P

USB 2 has far better BIOS/UEFI compatibility than USB 3. I've also found USB3 drivers a bit less 'plug and play'.

Damn good CPU but...I think I'll stay with my 3960X for a while yet...

I woulda like it if you guys made a video that detailed the cost and performance of the entry level x99 platform vs the already mainstream x79 i7, and I'd I were to build from scratch which would be better overall

These are too expensive!! 

It is a linear increase in price. You want more cores? That costs a chunk more than a 4790k setup. You want 8 cores that can overclock to the mid 4.x Ghz?... Well with bleeding edge tech, comes bleeding edge cost. Keep in mind the Xeon version of this was over $2,000 about 18 months ago.

btqfv.jpg

I guess you'd have to plug this problem device into the front of your case! Oh darn!  :P

Or get a USB 2.0 PCI card.

USB 2 has far better BIOS/UEFI compatibility than USB 3. I've also found USB3 drivers a bit less 'plug and play'.

I've had more USB 3 compatibility issues with Windows than with UEFI, which is a bit sad really.

Do a review of the 5920K 28 lanes vs 40 lanes in multi-gpu configs.Would be nice to know.

Agree,,  just make sure am i right to choose 5820k rather than 5930k.. 

need upgrade my old i3 2100 , whole board & ram, working after effects, for looong duration pc upgrade.. 

storage already have..

just got asus strix 780 oc & corsair RM 850 ( same purposes, for looooooong duration pc upgrade ) 

Thank you Before..