Another heated discussion over on theverge

Sammael

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6075179/anita-sarkeesian-says-she-was-driven-out-of-house-by-threats

It's about the responses to the woman who did that kickstarter about tropes against women in games.  She's gotten death threats apparently and moved in with friends temporarily when someone suggested he knew her location.

Clearly that is overboard, but the topic itself is red meat to the sausage fest that occupies tech spaces the world over.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Cue people who say she's lying to get attention.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

She is an annoying c*nt.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

She is an annoying c*nt.

Real diplomatic. You represent your side very well.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Anika Sarkeesian is a pretty horrible human being.. 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

Oh watch me i'm getting naked and famous due to kickstarter... People lose completely their minds everyday!

Feminism...

Such an expression of stupidity.

(nowadays)

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Anika Sarkeesian is a pretty horrible human being.. 

Feminism...

Such an expression of stupidity.

(nowadays)

Again with the diplomacy. And you ask me to represent my case, I suggest you represent yours first.

I hope nobody here becomes a foreign policy drafter.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh boy... not this again!

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

Threats are terrible. The corruption involved is real, and being a sister site to Polygon, I have to question the article's bias.

Threats are terrible. The corruption involved is real, and being a sister site to Polygon, I have to question the article's bias.

... there is a conspiracy about polygon bias?  I missed the details, what happened to get this idea out there?  What did they do??!?!?!??   I need more dirt/gossip!

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

She is a total oxygen thief.

We've now gotten this far.

People are advocating death threats. Wow. Just wow. You must be really scared that there may not be as many boobs in future video games or something. Christ. I can't even believe I just read that.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

*clicks on thread*

*reads through*

*contemplating on abandoning thread*

What happened to respect to other humans?? I know this is the internet but let's at least remain civil...

We've now gotten this far.

People are advocating death threats. Wow. Just wow. You must be really scared that there may not be as many boobs in future video games or something. Christ. I can't even believe I just read that.

Have you watched her videos? Have you seen all the gameplay she took from other channels and said was her own? Have you read the things she has written?

She is an infuriating human being, I said I don't mind her getting a scare not that I want her to die or think that death threats are called for.

Have you watched her videos? Have you seen all the gameplay she took from other channels and said was her own? Have you read the things she has written?

She is an infuriating human being, I said I don't mind her getting a scare not that I want her to die or think that death threats are called for.

Death threats are fucking illegal. It's not just a scare, there's a reason it's called a threat.

I've seen nearly everything she's made. I've read nearly everything she's wrote.

I guess she infuriates you because you don't agree with her. Perhaps you should actually listen to what she's saying.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Death threats are fucking illegal. It's not just a scare, there's a reason it's called a threat.

I've seen nearly everything she's made. I've read nearly everything she's wrote.

I guess she infuriates you because you don't agree with her. Perhaps you should actually listen to what she's saying.

If you believe she is in real danger you're on your own out of the pair of us.

If you believe she is in real danger you're on your own out of the pair of us.

I don't believe she's in real danger, but there's no way to know. Death threats aren't funny, they can get you arrested and on top of that it's sick and twisted. Why do you think it's funny? If you like the idea of her getting a scare from a death threat, that essentially means you'd be willing to kill her yourself.

Just in case you still don't believe this actually happened, here's a smattering of examples from Twitter: https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/504718160902492160/photo/1

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I don't believe she's in real danger, but there's no way to know. Death threats aren't funny, they can get you arrested and on top of that it's sick and twisted. Why do you think it's funny? If you like the idea of her getting a scare from a death threat, that essentially means you'd be willing to kill her yourself.

Just in case you still don't believe this actually happened, here's a smattering of examples from Twitter: https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/504718160902492160/photo/1

Alright those look like rape threats to me, perhaps they are stronger than I assumed...

For the record though, the part you wrote that I have highlighted in red is seriously retarded and foolish.

Alright those look like rape threats to me, perhaps they are stronger than I assumed...

For the record though, the part you wrote that I have highlighted in red is seriously retarded and foolish.

Beliefs aside, why do you think death threats of any kind are okay? If you think it's okay to be threatened with death then by extension you think it's okay for that threat to be carried out.

There are death threats too, "I've seen your house I'll kill your parents"

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Beliefs aside, why do you think death threats of any kind are okay? If you think it's okay to be threatened with death then by extension you think it's okay for that threat to be carried out.

There are death threats too, "I've seen your house I'll kill your parents"

I still don't believe any of them are serious, I've read some equally disturbing things on youtube comments and on twitter. However I don't think it's OK, I never said it's justified or that I would do it, I merely insinuated that I darkly enjoyed hearing about it because I don't like the woman.

Also for the record, I don't think it's OK for any of it to be carried out.

If I had said "I wouldn't mind if she got killed" that would have been very different.

Any threats are terrible. Not only because it's a shitty, illegal thing to do, but because it detracts from the arguments raised against her. I don't find value in her position, but taking it to threats is immature at best.

News : A thunder has struck a woman...

Feminists : "OMG!BAN THUNDEERRSS!THEY'RE AGAINST US!"

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.