AMD, You Cocked up Your GPU Naming Scheme!

the name is to peaplo see in a easy way is true position in the scale of power of the card  B)

keep in mind that normal people may not have the knowledge for the differentiation of these issues  :ph34r:

so the new name help they "a lot" (and the world is not all about you after all lol)  :lol:

plus that, the new R9 285 have 1792 sp (big number friend)  ^_^

okay well lets explain.

the R9-285 has a gpu with the codename tonga

1762 stream processors (same as 280 / 7950)

2GB GDDR5

Gpu clock: 918Mhz

Effective memory: 5500Mhz.

Bus: 256bit.

Basicly it will perform arround the same. 280, only it has less Vram.

Its ment to be to fall between the 270X and 280X, but there is allready the 280 card.

I personaly dont realy see the point of this card, unless its on a realy cheap price point.

The tonga will probably be a bit more power efficient, then a 280.

But still, only if its allot cheaper then a 280, it would have a place in the market.

If its simmelary priced, i dont see the point of it.

The only point of this card, would be in my opinnion as a replace ment of the 270X, i have the idea, that they wanne abbandon the 270X. 7870GHz.

BEcause for the new upcomming 300 series gpu´s the 370X will most likely get the Tahiti Le gpu, with 1536 stream processors, this is the old 7870XT for wo remember that card lol :D

You are mistaken as his post was not an argument.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

The only point of this card, would be in my opinnion as a replacement of the 270X.

i have the idea, that they wanne abbandon the 270X. 7870GHz.

Because for the new upcomming 300 series gpu´s the 370X will most likely get the Tahiti Le gpu, with 1536 stream processors.

This is the old 7870XT for wo remember that card lol :D

If you think about this, then the puzzle comes together

The only point of this card, would be in my opinnion as a replace ment of the 270X.

i have the idea, that they wanne abbandon the 270X. 7870GHz.

Because for the new upcomming 300 series gpu´s the 370X will most likely get the Tahiti Le gpu, with 1536 stream processors.

This is the old 7870XT for wo remember that card lol :D

If you think about this, then the puzzle comes together

but Tonga is not Tahiti friend  ;)

Oh come on it's not that bad. It is the 285 because it is newer than the 280, simple as that. Performance wise it should be very similar to a 280, so even if you get confused and buy it it won't be the end of the world.

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

I think that the 285 will probably, be succesed next year with a R9-375 or something.

if you think about it, 370X with 1536 shaders Tahiti Le, and the R9-375 with 1792 shaders. Tonga.

THe 380 and 380X will be a new gen of gpu´s most likely.

Based on the Feij Gpu.

The 380X will "probably Get" 3072 stream processors and 3GB of Vram.

Note that this are just my personal thoughts !!! :D

Calm your anus bro, they might have made it between 280x and 290, but I think that will be the job for the r9 300 series.

but Tonga is not Tahiti friend  ;)

i know that, that is the reason why its called 285.

Its basicly very logical

Because its a diffrent gpu.

But i think that R9-275 was a better name for it...

The only thing that is bothering me is the 2GB vram on the card...

- snip -

Forgot the damn R9 280 thats better than the new 285 I believe other than 285 using less watts Edited by alpenwasser
thread profanity cleanup tour :)

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

- snip -

i say to you in the words of will smith  (iRobot) "stop cussing, cause you're not good at it"

Not the first time a higher number represents a lower tier product, and not just in pc hardware either.

GTX 465 is the first thing that came to my mind.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

They're thinking, hey, let's see if they're paying attention and actually researching a product before buying it.  

Pretty sure the confussion comes from the picture line up, they're all in the order of pricing not power.

285 is a mid tier card in between 280 and 280x with better efficiency for about the same performance at a lower cost.

another thing I never understood: we have R7 and R9... where is R8??? maybe this should have been a R8 275X λλλ

it's time for some jolly cooperation!

Its really not that confusing guys, the 285 is *replacing* the 280 in the lineup.

- snip -

@alpenwasser That censorship though. absolutely amazing xD!

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

i was thinking that the reason why the 285 is there is because

it is the rebrand of the HD7870XT card

basically the broken HD7950 chip which could not reach the speed of the HD7950 or HD7970

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Is it me or did a mod censor this? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch