AMD, You Cocked up Your GPU Naming Scheme!

*facepalm*

SYSTEM SPECS

i7 4790k | LTT Edition Noctua NH-U12S | Gigabyte Z97-SOC Force | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer DDR3 | 120GB Samsung 850 EVO | 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | NVIDIA GTX 980ti | H440 Orange | EVGA 650B3 PSU

- snip -

WHAT THE WHOOP-DEE-DOO IS AMD THINKING?

can someone please explain what the flying *transmission error* AMD was thinking when they thought of this sexually active genus naming system?

Can someone walk over to the AMD main office and knock some sense into them please?

This is just going to confuse the holy ghost out of customers. 

I presume the R9 280x is more powerful due to the specs and price but the naming system does not support that theory at all........... But then again i could be completely wrong....

wow im soooo confused..... dammit AMD, trust you to do poopadilly like this...

attachicon.gifproduct-stack.jpg

Cheers folks, have a good one :)

lawl

best Moderator-Edited post ever. I probably cracked a rib laughing.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

It's using their new architecture so it could potentially be better than the r9 280.

Having said that, I would rather it be called the R9 380, as it is using their new architecture, and it would make more sense.

Its npt a different architecture. Still gcn like before. Its just a new chip called tonga, with some power optimisation. But not thay different from tahiti or bonaire or hawaii

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Pointless thread is pointless.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

i was thinking that the reason why the 285 is there is because

it is the rebrand of the HD7870XT card

basically the broken HD7950 chip which could not reach the speed of the HD7950 or HD7970

No. Its a completely different chip from anything before. Its new.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

No. Its a completely different chip from anything before. Its new.

yea i found out it wasnt a rebrand

it basically the R9 280 mobile GPU with 256 bit memory

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i was thinking that the reason why the 285 is there is because

it is the rebrand of the HD7870XT card

basically the broken HD7950 chip which could not reach the speed of the HD7950 or HD7970

No this is not the case.

the R9-285, has the same specs of a 280 / 7950, but then on a new tonga chip. with 2GB of vram.

The point of this card, is most likely be with an eye on the new upcomming 300 series.

The Tonga chip is basicly an updated Tahiti chip which is more power efficient.

That being said let me explain the name scheme.

Its most likely that in the 300 series Tonga is going to replace  pitcaim.

The 370 (X) will most likely be based on Tonga with 1536 stream processors (same as the the previous 7870XT Tahiti) for those who remeber that card...

If you keep that in mind, than its logical that they broaght out the 285, because this card will probably going to be the new 375, or maybe 370X.

So this what it could be in the future:

370 = 7870XT Tonga based - 1536 stream processors

370X = 280 / 7950  Tonga based 1792 stream processors

Or

370X = 7870XT Tonga based - 1536 stream processors

375   = 280 / 7950  Tonga based 1792 stream processors

This is what my Logical brains thinks about this lol :P

* THe 380 and 380X series will be most likely getting a new gpu called Fiji. (because of 4K ready) so yeah.

Maybe puzzle falls together now ;)

No this is not the case.

the R9-285, has the same specs of a 280 / 7950, but then on a new tonga chip. with 2GB of vram.

The point of this card, is most likely be with an eye on the new upcomming 300 series.

The Tonga chip is basicly an updated Tahiti chip which is more power efficient.

That being said let me explain the name scheme.

Its most likely that in the 300 series Tonga is going to replace  pitcaim.

The 370 (X) will most likely be GPU based on thonga with 1536 stream processors (same as the the previous 7870XT Tahiti) for those who remeber that card...

If you keep that in mind, than its logical that they broaght out the 285, because this card will probably going to the new 375, or maybe 370X

THe 380 and 380X series will be most likely getting a new gpu called Fiji.. so yeah

Maybe puzzle falls together now ;)

yea i got the new info from another user

it a lower TDP version of the 280 with 256Bit memory

they seem to be giving them name based on the volcanoes 

now where is my Mt Fuji codename GPU 

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

yea i got the new info from another user

it a lower TDP version of the 280 with 256Bit memory

they seem to be giving them name based on the volcanoes 

now where is my Mt Fuji codename GPU 

the R9-285, is basicly just a teaser for the new upcomming  midrange 300 cards, "probably" 370X or 375 ;)

the R9-285, is basicly just a teaser for the new upcomming  midrange 300 cards, "probably" 370X or 375 ;)

Eyjafjallajökull in the Iceland is the most active volcano maybe the new 390x will be named after it

What the flying transmission error @alpenwasser ?

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Unlike resolution and fps, this really is just a number...

The selling point here is the freesync.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Eyjafjallajökull in the Iceland is the most active volcano maybe the new 390x will be named after it

390X Bermuda XTX

- 4224 stream processors

- 4GB GDDR5

- ~ 1000Mhz gpu clock

- ~ 1750Mhz mem clock

likey like :P

To bad those numbers are still not offcialy confirmed, and still just rumors

yea i found out it wasnt a rebrand

it basically the R9 280 mobile GPU with 256 bit memory

What in meowmix is a R9 M280X? Is that even out yet?

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

What in meowmix is a R9 M280X? Is that even out yet?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2581/radeon-r9-m280x.html

it may be this

but the memory bus may be different

a lower TDP version of the 280

Damm thats not even bad for a mobile chip.

It has the same amount of stream processors (896) as an 7790. damm not bad ;)

That's awful for a mobile chip O_O. The 7970M/8970M/R9 M290X chips are full-cored 7870/R7 270X chips simply clocked to 850MHz or so (and pretty OC-able). Same 256-bit mem bus GDDR5 memory. I would count that as high-end midrange maybe? Something to deal with the 860M 2GB maxwell chip?

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

That's awful for a mobile chip O_O. The 7970M/8970M/R9 M290X chips are full-cored 7870/R7 270X chips simply clocked to 850MHz or so (and pretty OC-able). Same 256-bit mem bus GDDR5 memory. I would count that as high-end midrange maybe? Something to deal with the 860M 2GB maxwell chip?

yeah its offcourse not the most highend one, i mean for a midrange mobile chip.

Still interessting what maxwell is going to bring to the table.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R9-M290X.108643.0.html

if you are referring to the highest mobile ver 290X

it in the link above

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/notebook/r9-m200

yeah its offcourse not the most highend one, i mean for a midrange mobile chip.

Still interessting what maxwell is going to bring to the table.

I'd like to see what GM204 maxwell will do for the mobile market. The 780M is a great chip, but less power + boosted performance + runs cooler sounds like a triple-way win for me. 850M and 860M 2GB (for some reason nVidia decided to make two 860M chips; 2GB = maxwell and 4GB = Kepler) already proved that they could kick games around while being quite cool and overclockable (at least 860M; I know someone who ran that thing +235 core and +700 memory)