A New Era Of Computing Is Upon Us.

I just read a fantastic piece on WCCFTech "gasps" I know what a shocker ! but it was genuinely intriguing.
It explains how we are truly on a verge of a new era of computing and how this new era is going to bring us back to the "golden age of silicone valley" when CPU performance would literally double every year.

HSA.jpg
http://wccftech.com/article/exploring-amds-intels-architectural-philosophies-future-hold-part/

help @Askew

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

A new gold age would only begin if #1 HSA kicks off or #2 we find an alternative to silicone that clocks much higher at the same power.
I think both are eventually going to happen but we are already seeing #1 kicking off.

WTF is WCCFTech? Cos abbreviations.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

WTF is WCCFTech? Cos abbreviations.

The Huffington Post of tech news

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

The Huffington Post of tech news

Poorly designed mobile site, clickbait, irrelevant articles and outdated info?

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

Poorly designed mobile site, clickbait, irrelevant articles and outdated info?

the last 3 yes, but idk if their mobile site is shit though, still i don't care

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Either way, can we please kill off MS outlook? I notice that alot of business's use it, and it's terribad, they need to stop.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What is HSA ?

CPU : i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz. GPU : MSI Lightning GTX 770 @ 1300mhz. 16GB 1600mhz RAM

Either way, can we please kill off MS outlook? I notice that alot of business's use it, and it's terribad, they need to stop.

are you talking about the desktop client or the web version that replaced hotmail? because the later i think is superior to gmail

are you talking about the desktop client or the web version that replaced hotmail? because the later i think is superior to gmail

Both. I've never had any issue using gmail, but outlook continues to confuze and annoy me.

I just get tired of having to have "student email"'s and "professional email"s and what not. Why can I not just use my primary email address for everything?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

What is HSA ?

Heterogeneous system architecture, basically full access between the CPU, their cores, cache and the memory and GPU. This allows compute to be done the most effective way, by letting the high parallel float compute tasks getting done by the GPU and the inevitably single threaded tasks to be managed by CPU cores, without anyone bottlenecking the other one or access times limiting efficiency. Load leverages its way directly to the GPU or CPU (nowadays before going to the GPU it needs to get into the CPU first), GPU can get direct access to RAM, and a CPU core can access both the in and out of another core, or a cache pool that doesn't belong to it.

The problem is, everything needs to be coded (developed) to support this, tons of programs to be remade all over again. Hence they added "temporarily" on the last picture,where it says programming models and overhead.

Heterogeneous system architecture, basically full access between the CPU, their cores, cache and the memory and GPU. This allows compute to be done the most effective way, by letting the high parallel float compute tasks getting done by the GPU and the inevitably single threaded tasks to be managed by CPU cores, without anyone bottlenecking the other one or access times limiting efficiency. Load leverages its way directly to the GPU or CPU (nowadays before going to the GPU it needs to get into the CPU first), GPU can get direct access to RAM, and a CPU core can access both the in and out of another core, or a cache pool that doesn't belong to it.

The problem is, everything needs to be coded (developed) to support this, tons of programs to be remade all over again. Hence they added "temporarily" on the last picture,where it says programming models and overhead.

So HSA removes the bottleneck of PCIE express ? also what is the difference between HSA and OpenCL ?

CPU : i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz. GPU : MSI Lightning GTX 770 @ 1300mhz. 16GB 1600mhz RAM

A new gold age would only begin if #1 HSA kicks off or #2 we find an alternative to silicone that clocks much higher at the same power.

I think both are eventually going to happen but we are already seeing #1 kicking off.

Cough* Graphene Cough*

IBM has already built 400GHz chips with it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Both. I've never had any issue using gmail, but outlook continues to confuze and annoy me.

I just get tired of having to have "student email"'s and "professional email"s and what not. Why can I not just use my primary email address for everything?

yeah outlook works very different that gmail but is what i have used personally before gmail even existed and is not that much different of what it was before, it has change its looks a lot, but the way it works and use hardly at all, both have its strengths, gmail, automatic sorting spam and promotions in folders is a godsend, and its good for sending heavy attachments but i find it annoying to send emails we are i have to type a lot, and its text editor is very lack luster vs outlook, also outlook has integration with web office which is more powerful that google docs, docs is simple and effective but again it lacks a lot of features

ill say gmail, is like the jack of all trades but outlook is the master of productivity, which is something lots of people are interested

also your school forcing you to use that, well that's indeed shit, but you can't blame outlook for that, i do admit having all your stuff in a single email make it much easier to manage but i already have multiple ones for a time so i'm already used to

So HSA removes the bottleneck of PCIE express ? also what is the difference between HSA and OpenCL ?

OpenCL is a programming language. HSA is a hardware standard. And no it doesn't remove PCIe latency when working on the big iron, but it does allow an SOC(System on a chip) to very efficiently delegate tasks to specialized hardware vs. generalist. If a problem is small enough to be be a waste sending to the big iron, the iGPU will handle it meanwhile the CPU doesn't have to feed the GPU such as it does in the big iron situation. It's a highly efficient heterogeneous computing environment.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

hetero systems will go so far its still complicated in terms of software

devs dont really bother anymore

the next age of computing are stacked chips based on silicon (still)

then its gonna  be new material based CPUs like nanotubes or graphene (single atom) based CPUs

and then (maybe the last step) photonics/optical computing

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

There is no bottleneck in PCIe, the bottleneck is that while you have a beast GPU ready to crunch numbers that are too hard for your CPU, it doesn't get feed properly thanks today's system architecture, where in order for a GPU to get work requested the CPU needs to give the data in the RAM to it, through itself. With HSA the GPU can access directly the RAM, the CPU cores get to feed and access data within each other, and work can be redirected between GPU and CPU every time the load is easier on the other.

The main difference between OpenCL and HSA, is that HSA needs hardware support in order for it to work, HSA is not a language like OpenCL, but a program design. The only thing compatible with HSA today is an AMD Kaveri APU, if you make a HSA program for it, it can use both CPU and GPU side as a single, theoretically outperforming high end CPUs like an i7.

HSAil is another version of HSA, that doesn't depend on a hardware limit, and can be done on any CPU, Nvidia or Intel, it doesn't matter. It's not that effective but it certainly can boost performance if developed.

Don't discredit the article just because it's on WCCFTech. Discredit the article if it contains false information (which I don't believe this one does).

I find it very hypocritical that so many praise HSA and hope it gets integrated soon and yet out of the other side of their mouths, they bash the Kaveri APUs.  :mellow:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

hetero systems will go so far its still complicated in terms of software

devs dont really bother anymore

But if something like a HSA-enabled developing environment appears, where you don't have to think about optimizing each instruction for the hardware, it can get adopted. Both Hardware and Software side of things can still grow a lot to improve.

There is no bottleneck in PCIe, the bottleneck is that while you have a beast GPU ready to crunch numbers that are too hard for your CPU, it doesn't get feed properly thanks today's system architecture, where in order for a GPU to get work requested the CPU needs to give the data in the RAM to it, through itself. With HSA the GPU can access directly the RAM, the CPU cores get to feed and access data within each other, and work can be redirected between GPU and CPU every time the load is easier on the other.

The main difference between OpenCL and HSA, is that HSA needs hardware support in order for it to work, HSA is not a language like OpenCL, but a program design. The only thing compatible with HSA today is an AMD Kaveri APU, if you make a HSA program for it, it can use both CPU and GPU side as a single, theoretically outperforming high end CPUs like an i7.

HSAil is another version of HSA, that doesn't depend on a hardware limit, and can be done on any CPU, Nvidia or Intel, it doesn't matter. It's not that effective but it certainly can boost performance if developed.

Eh... That's not the whole story. A CPU can only send over so much per burst due to the encoding and doesn't have as many parallel PCIe controllers. Skylake-E is bringing PCIe 4 to address that part of the problem.

Don't discredit the article just because it's on WCCFTech. Discredit the article if it contains false information (which I don't believe this one does).

I find it very hypocritical that so many praise HSA and hope it gets integrated soon and yet out of the other side of their mouths, they bash the Kaveri APUs. :mellow:

The Kaveri APUs still kinda suck on the CPU side. The GPU is strong don't get me wrong, but it needs more cores on both sides and it still doesn't compete well with Intel except in LibreOffice Calc running simulations.