The state of Android updates: Who’s fast, who’s slow, and why

Builder

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/the-state-of-android-updates-whos-fast-whos-slow-and-why/

Android 4.4, KitKat was released on October 31, 2013, or at least, that's what you can say about one device: the Nexus 5. For the rest of the ecosystem, the date you got KitKat—if you got KitKat—varied wildly depending on your device, OEM, and carrier.

FURTHER READING

THE CHECKERED, SLOW HISTORY OF ANDROID HANDSET UPDATES
We look at which OEMs and cell carriers might leave your handset an orphaned brick.
For every Android update, Google's release of code to OEMs starts an industry-wide race to get the new enhancements out to customers. So how did everyone do this year? Who was the first with KitKat, and who was the last? What effect does your carrier have on updates? How has the speed of Android updates changed compared to earlier years?

Very interesting indeed. So the situation is still excellent for Nexus devices and basically godawful for everyone else. I know what Android phone I'd get ;)

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wow this is not fair. Samsung cut off updates for my Tab 2 10.1 at Android 4.1. I wish there was a hack I could use to force a 4.4 install.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

This is the main reason I go for the Nexus devices, for the faster updates. Too bad the Galaxy Nexus was discontinued after Jelly Bean. KitKat is unofficially supported through AOSP builds and other custom ROMs. By that reasoning, even the Nexus one is still "supported". 

The new Nexus device will probably be my next phone. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Since I got my phone (3 years ago I think) OS updates have come out but I'm stuck on 2.3.5 (Gingerbread) . . . . . . . :wacko: :blink: :(

On 2.3.4

On 2.3.4

1.1, suckers!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think the whole problem stems from them not wanting to use stock Android. They have to differentiate on hardware instead, because they all suck hard at software. Maybe this will all change with Material UI and Android Silver. If it does, I just might switch, or at least try it.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Kind of interesting. This chart still describes it pretty well though.

htc_anatomy_of_android.jpg

Sorry, that's huge. That's what she said.

I don't know how to make it smaller so..

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Kind of interesting. This chart still describes it pretty well though.

htc_anatomy_of_android.jpg

Bro, longest picture I ever saw on this forum. Too much scrolling.

I think that pic was almost as long as the post in my sig...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Bro, longest picture I ever saw on this forum. Too much scrolling.

I don't use forums nearly enough to know how to put it in that Show box. *shrug*

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Stock Android easily runs on all hardware, but Manufacturers still wanted to provide something unique, hence the software modifications, which is basically a skin on top of Stock Android with a few extra unique apps. 

A more elegant solution would be to provide Stock Android on the device, with an optional app you can install from the Play Store to get the UI and other apps unique to the manufacturer. That way, users have more freedom - they can choose whether or not to install the particular manufacturers UI/apps. 

That's how Nexus devices work too. Stock Android, with Google Apps installed, all of which are available on the Play Store. You can still get pure Android by building it from source, without Google Apps. 

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

That's how Nexus devices work too. Stock Android, with Google Apps installed, all of which are available on the Play Store. You can still get pure Android by building it from source, without Google Apps. 

I wish Android was actually full GNU/Linux...then I would DEFINITELY switch.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I wish Android was actually full GNU/Linux...then I would DEFINITELY switch.

Well, technically it is. At least, the kernel is fully Linux (or modified Linux). 

The main problem with Android is the Dalvik VM and relying on Java. IIRC, Dalvik is based on a really old version of Java (due to licensing issues of using Java in a mobile environment, or something like that). The application framework is also based on Java, or very "Java-like".

Luckily for us, Dalvik is being completely replaced by ART in Android L, so that removes one issue with Android. Still uses a Java-like API. 

Well, technically it is. At least, the kernel is fully Linux (or modified Linux). 

I know, but I want the rest of GNU and the ability to install apps from Linux userland and a full terminal and stuff.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I know, but I want the rest of GNU and the ability to install apps from Linux userland and a full terminal and stuff.

Would be nice if that was available by default, yeah. Terminal can be installed by rooting the device. I've used it to manipulate files on the device when I had a Galaxy S. 

The closest thing to what you want though, would be Ubuntu Mobile. http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

Or https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/linuxonandroid 

Google has a lot of potential to make Android a full Linux "distribution" with all of its services also available on desktop Linux distributions (and Windows/OS X). Would make switching between Android, Windows, Linux and OS X seamless if they can achieve that level of integration. 

-dreams-

edit: Phones using x86 instead of ARM might make the above a lot easier. One OS across all devices, automatically scaled. Windows has already done it, OS X will probably follow as well. 

Wow this is not fair. Samsung cut off updates for my Tab 2 10.1 at Android 4.1. I wish there was a hack I could use to force a 4.4 install.

root and put the newer samsung os on there? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Still love my Nexus 4. Straight Android, no BS and no bloat. Always runs fast no matter what. Always get the latest Android updates right away. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Still love my Nexus 4. Straight Android, no BS and no bloat. Always runs fast no matter what. Always get the latest Android updates right away. 

Except after the 18-month support cycle is done. Nexus 4 is no longer supported, iirc. KitKat was your last official update. 

edit: Phones using x86 instead of ARM might make the above a lot easier. One OS across all devices, automatically scaled. Windows has already done it, OS X will probably follow as well. 

There's already linux available on ARM though. Also OS X will not follow suit, because that is not a good idea, as evidenced by Windows 8.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Except after the 18-month support cycle is done. Nexus 4 is no longer supported, iirc. KitKat was your last official update. 

That's fine. I'm happy with KitKat and will be happy with this phone for a long time. 

Phone hardware specs haven't really gone much further over the last couple years, so I'm not worried about it becoming slow or obsolete for a long time yet.

I know friends and family who have Samsung phones and I can't stand all the bloatware junk they have. I think I will always go with Nexus phones, for that reason and because they're less expensive than most other higher-end smartphones.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

There's already linux available on ARM though. Also OS X will not follow suit, because that is not a good idea, as evidenced by Windows 8.

Well, yeah. Windows 8 jumped the gun on bringing the tablet interface to desktop. Some sort of touch interface needs to become more common for desktops to fully utilize Windows 8/8.1. OS X is probably just waiting for that. 

If something like this became standard-issue with prebuilt desktops (bear with me, pre-builts still have a market even if we hate them) would make transitioning to Windows 8 easier, and would make more sense for a fairly consistent experience. 

$(KGrHqRHJFcFIvNd2sdbBSQFui529w~~_32.JPG

anything longer than a month to put out an update is too long.

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

Well, yeah. Windows 8 jumped the gun on bringing the tablet interface to desktop. Some sort of touch interface needs to become more common for desktops to fully utilize Windows 8/8.1. OS X is probably just waiting for that.

If something like this became standard-issue with prebuilt desktops (bear with me, pre-builts still have a market even if we hate them) would make transitioning to Windows 8 easier, and would make more sense for a fairly consistent experience.

Posted Image

Yeah, with a trackpad and the gestures, navigating the tile interface feels much more intuitive.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

anything longer than a month to put out an update is too long.

I think anything longer than a day is too long. Frankly I have no clue why it took them two weeks to get it onto a Nexus device. Updates should be available the day they are released, end of story.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /