The state of Android updates: Who’s fast, who’s slow, and why

Builder

They do this because they stage the updates rather than the way Apple do it and release it to everyone, only to find out there is a bug and have to then release patch for a patch for a patch. I'm not bashing Apple, far from it. I'm pointing out the two different methods both companies have chosen to deploy updates. 

Google does them in stages, releasing them to (I think) 10 percent of devices first, if no bugs are present, they then up this to (I think) 90% of devices, and then all of the devices. When I say devices I mean Nexus's devices since these get them first. If a bug is present in a device then the cycle stops until it's resolved then the procedure is restarted. In the case of KitKat there was a camera (I think) issue so this restarted the cycle after they fixed it.

In the one hand, Google's way is good because its much more stable however it does frustrate a lot of people waiting for updates which was evident with KitKat. In the the other hand, Apple's method is good because everyone gets the update at the same time, how ever is less stable as was evident with IOS7.

All the complaints about iOS 7 instability were inflated by the media and over exaggerated. If you think Android L will be bug free that's hilarious. The reason Apple can do what it does is because it doesn't have to wait for another manufacturer to test its stuff. iOS 7 didn't have anything nearly as drastic as camera issues either. It just crashed occasionally apparently, I've still never had a problem with it. 

The Nexus 4 was released in 2012, as was the iPhone 5. Both the iPhone 5 and the 4s before it are getting iOS 8. iPhones nowadays have established a four year support cycle, better than Android. That makes sense for iPhones and not Android devices because people don't keep Android phones for as long: http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2014/7/30/android-replacement

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

All the complaints about iOS 7 instability were inflated by the media and over exaggerated. If you think Android L will be bug free that's hilarious. The reason Apple can do what it does is because it doesn't have to wait for another manufacturer to test its stuff. iOS 7 didn't have anything nearly as drastic as camera issues either. It just crashed occasionally apparently, I've still never had a problem with it. 

The Nexus 4 was released in 2012, as was the iPhone 5. Both the iPhone 5 and the 4s before it are getting iOS 8. iPhones nowadays have established a four year support cycle, better than Android. That makes sense for iPhones and not Android devices because people don't keep Android phones for as long: http://ben-evans.com/benedictevans/2014/7/30/android-replacement

Just proves your incapable of having an unbiased argument. Again. No need to discuss anything more with you, you can't keep an open mind. I was neither slating nor rating either's method, yet you go off on a rant about apple again.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Just proves your incapable of having an unbiased argument. Again. No need to discuss anything more with you, you can't keep an open mind. I was neither slating nor rating either's method, yet you go off on a rant about apple again.

Biased? You said iOS was less stable than Android, a laughable claim. I was simply correcting you.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Biased? You said iOS was less stable than Android, a laughable claim. I was simply correcting you.

It was, at the time. They released 5 patches, to 7.0.5 in no time at all. Hmm, must be VERY stable...

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

It was, at the time. They released 5 patches, to 7.0.5 in no time at all. Hmm, must be VERY stable...

It wasn't stability issues they were correcting, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_7#Version_history:_portable_iOS_devices

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Yeah, says bug fixes.

Do you understand that not all bugs have to do with stability?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Do you understand that not all bugs have to do with stability?

"Fixes a bug with the App Store purchases system"

Stability.

"Fixes iMessage bugs where messages failed to send and iMessage failed to activate"

​Stability.

"Improves system stability for iWork app"

No explanation required.

"Fixes accelerometer calibration issue"

"Fixes a bug that caused VoiceOver input to be too sensitive"

"Fixes a bug that caused supervised devices to become unsupervised when updating software"

"Bug fixes and improvements, including a fix for an issue that causes FaceTime calls to fail for some users"

What were you saying?

What were you saying?

You have no clue what stability is. That's what I was staying.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You have no clue what stability is. That's what I was staying.

Clearly choosing to ignore obvious stability bugs, one even says stability. I think you need to do a little more research on what you think you know.

Clearly choosing to ignore obvious stability bugs, one even says stability. I think you need to do a little more research on what you think you know.

Stability is a platform's resistance to crashing and performance bugs. I'll give you the iWork bug but again the reports make no mention of how widespread these bugs were and I maintain that they might not have even been experienced by anyone.

Google did nearly the same thing with KitKat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_version_history

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /