The state of Android updates: Who’s fast, who’s slow, and why

Builder

I think anything longer than a day is too long. Frankly I have no clue why it took them two weeks to get it onto a Nexus device. Updates should be available the day they are released, end of story.

there's hardware compatibility issues and things that need to be taken care of...

Processor: AMD FX8320 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz

Graphics: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair Carbine 500R Drives: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD & Seagate 1TB 7200rpm HDD

there's hardware compatibility issues and things that need to be taken care of...

They integrate directly with the manufacturer though. They shouldn't have to take care of compatibility issues, if they do, then what's the point of collaborating on a device with a hardware manufacturer?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

This is why one of the first things I do to any new phone is get it on CyanogenMod :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I'll still get a One M8. When it gets out of date, I'll install Cyanogenmod on it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I love my Nexus 5 however when the time comes in a few years I may try out iOS again as I enjoy different experiences :).

But the Android experience has definitely moved a long way since I switched from an iPhone 3G back in the 2.2 days :)

But the Android experience has definitely moved a long way since I switched from an iPhone 3G back in the 2.2 days :)

Indeed it has. Android L will bring even bigger changes.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Wow this is not fair. Samsung cut off updates for my Tab 2 10.1 at Android 4.1. I wish there was a hack I could use to force a 4.4 install.

Just root it then...

Indeed it has. Android L will bring even bigger changes.

I know, running the preview and it's pretty fantastic :)

Just root it then...

True; but you shouldn't have to root to get a good experience :(

I know, running the preview and it's pretty fantastic :)

All of a sudden it's like Google cares about design...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

All of a sudden it's like Google cares about design...

I thought ICS/JB were a good design, KitKat was OK but it was kind of half and half, some ui elements had the old blue some had the new white.

I thought ICS/JB were a good design, KitKat was OK but it was kind of half and half, some ui elements had the old blue some had the new white.

I meant more that Material is their first clear effort to make things look clean, unique, and nice. Obviously iOS has had core animation for longer but that's a different story.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

That is why I don't get Samsung devices anymore. I had the original Galaxy and I was stuck on Gingerbread forever. I will now resort to the Nexus line/"Google Phones" (whatever it is called since there is a rumor that the Nexus name is going to "die")

Project Restomod (In progress)

Got fed of of Samsung and Vodafone telling me I'd get the new updates and then finding out my device is chopped off the list the closer it gets to release.

So fed up that I'd rather lose my warranty and install Cyanogen instead.  Hurray for speedy updates!

I dont get it why i cant upgrade to 4.4 kitkat i have crappy 4.2.2 and i cant even isntall cyanogenmod fuck android phones,i bought mine a few month ago on sale,just to realize how silly and annoying default jellybean sku is,no way to install at least cyanogen makes me want to smash freaking smartshit my ass.

Well its my first smartphon so 90% of the times when i get something new i get it wrong,not gonna buy new smartshits until battery have over 9000mAH ,i barely touch the freaking screen and 1-2% is gone off battery the hell.

I also tought dual-core and 512mb of ram is enough for a freaking phone,WRONG android is pretty crap stuff.

I'm never getting Android L for my Note 3, am I...

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

XDA ftw .. running 4.4.4 CyanogenMod M9 on a Moto G n_n , everything stable

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

Official support for my phone ended with 2.3.6 Gingerbread update. Samsung said that they are not planning to bring JellyBean or KitKat for this phone (Samsung Galaxy S5660) due to its "less powerful hardware".

That isn't really the truth and I think Samsung knows it. I am currently running Android JellyBean as Cyanogenmod and performance is very smooth (in fact, it's much better than the stock rom in terms of stability, battery life and it's just faster really). There is also work in progress CM11 port for my phone that runs fine already, while not as stable as the JellyBean versions of Cyanogenmod, it is usable.

I think what Samsung really meant is that the hardware on this old phone is less powerful only for their hideous Touchwiz nonsense.  :rolleyes:

This is the main reason I go for the Nexus devices, for the faster updates. Too bad the Galaxy Nexus was discontinued after Jelly Bean. KitKat is unofficially supported through AOSP builds and other custom ROMs. By that reasoning, even the Nexus one is still "supported". 

The new Nexus device will probably be my next phone. 

I have the Galaxy Nexus. I would stay on Jelly Bean anyways, because there's a glitch that lets you make your phone a wireless hotspot without actually paying for it :)

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

I have the Galaxy Nexus. I would stay on Jelly Bean anyways, because there's a glitch that lets you make your phone a wireless hotspot without actually paying for it :)

Going to need details on that one >.> 

I'm assuming it means: no 3G or 4G data plan -> still turn it into a wifi hotspot, but that doesn't make much sense. I know I can connect my phone to wifi and tether it to another device easily. 

edit: Or does it mean you still need a 3G data plan, but don't need to pay extra for tethering/wifi hotspotting?

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Going to need details on that one >.> 

I'm assuming it means: no 3G or 4G data plan -> still turn it into a wifi hotspot, but that doesn't make much sense. I know I can connect my phone to wifi and tether it to another device easily. 

edit: Or does it mean you still need a 3G data plan, but don't need to pay extra for tethering/wifi hotspotting?

You still need a 3G plan but you don't need to pay extra. This is /technically/ illegal, but finders keepers, losers weepers :P

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

You still need a 3G plan but you don't need to pay extra. This is /technically/ illegal, but finders keepers, losers weepers :P

More like finders weepers when they find out you're doing it and either sue you out of your pants or throw you in jail...

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Hehe I recently put CM11 on my one m8 and now the android version is actually newer then before 4.4.4 instead of htc's 4.4.2.

Go CyanogenMod!

Sucks that note 3 is so locked down when it comes to custom roms. If I'm not mistaken, the reason behind it, is a locked down bootloader?

I wanna have a custom rom on my note 3, but cm11 is only a nightly build, which I won't use.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

I think anything longer than a day is too long. Frankly I have no clue why it took them two weeks to get it onto a Nexus device. Updates should be available the day they are released, end of story.

They do this because they stage the updates rather than the way Apple do it and release it to everyone, only to find out there is a bug and have to then release patch for a patch for a patch. I'm not bashing Apple, far from it. I'm pointing out the two different methods both companies have chosen to deploy updates. 

Google does them in stages, releasing them to (I think) 10 percent of devices first, if no bugs are present, they then up this to (I think) 90% of devices, and then all of the devices. When I say devices I mean Nexus's devices since these get them first. If a bug is present in a device then the cycle stops until it's resolved then the procedure is restarted. In the case of KitKat there was a camera (I think) issue so this restarted the cycle after they fixed it.

In the one hand, Google's way is good because its much more stable however it does frustrate a lot of people waiting for updates which was evident with KitKat. In the the other hand, Apple's method is good because everyone gets the update at the same time, how ever is less stable as was evident with IOS7.

At least if your bored waiting for the update on Android you can force the update by downloading it to your computer manually and installing it. I did this with my Nexus 4 with the KitKat update, worked perfectly. No rooting required. 

Also, Android L is coming to the Nexus 4, Google released the code for it even though it is outside it's 18 month cycle.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/08/the-state-of-android-updates-whos-fast-whos-slow-and-why/

Very interesting indeed. So the situation is still excellent for Nexus devices and basically godawful for everyone else. I know what Android phone I'd get ;)

OEM's need to go faster.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30