Requesting Advice on CompSci Degree

BallGum

Hey guys. 
Currently considering a Comp Sci Degree and I'm over in the UK.

I'm browsing through various university's computer science courses; and I just would like to ask what I should be aware of when looking at what their course entails; whether there are specific topics that are more important than others.

Any help is massively appreciated.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

computer science deals with the logic of how computers work. It's very heavy on math and logic. It also deals with a lot of scientific theories as well as applied sciences in the realm of information processing and computing. That's the best way I can describe it.

A funny incident happened in college when I helped a computer science professor set up his laptop because he couldn't get it to display through the HDMI to the projector. I have a psychology degree but I took a computer science class in my senior year as a blowoff class to satisfy 3 credits. But you would think that a computer science professor would understand how to set up a 2nd display. But many computer scientists don't really work with hardware as much as you or I. They are focused on the theories and science behind computer technology.

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I would say that the things to look for very much depend on what it is you want to be doing as a career or where you want to take your current career. More information would certainly be helpful; right now we know nothing about you other than the fact that you are considering a Computer Science degree.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I would say that the things to look for very much depend on what it is you want to be doing as a career or where you want to take your current career. More information would certainly be helpful; right now we know nothing about you other than the fact that you are considering a Computer Science degree.

Sorry about that.

I really enjoy mathematics and I'm also having a lot of fun with learning C++.

I'm about 90% sure this is what I want to do in life, but my main concern is choosing between the courses at different Unis.

Are there specific bits of content in the different courses that I should be watching out for?

EDIT: re-read your post. I guess I am still contemplating what I specifically would like to do with a computer science degree. Primarily, I'd like to get into software development. I'll read up on it more I guess.

I have a college degree, although it's in social sciences, my advice applies here as well. The best thing to do in college is to take some of your major classes (your comp sci classes) early on along with classes that satisfy other things like English, history, ect. That way you will know early on if comp sci is really your thing. Sometimes we think we know what we want but when we get to college things might change. Also, take electives that are out of your area of study. Since your major is going to focus on math, logic, science, ect., take a humanities class about non western traditions as an elective. It's good to be well rounded in college. Employers and graduate schools like to see that you take classes involving other things rather than just focusing strictly on computers.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

I have a college degree, although it's in social sciences, my advice applies here as well. The best thing to do in college is to take some of your major classes (your comp sci classes) early on along with classes that satisfy other things like English, history, ect. That way you will know early on if comp sci is really your thing. Sometimes we think we know what we want but when we get to college things might change. Also, take electives that are out of your area of study. Since your major is going to focus on math, logic, science, ect., take a humanities class about non western traditions as an elective. It's good to be well rounded in college. Employers and graduate schools like to see that you take classes involving other things rather than just focusing strictly on computers.

Thanks. When it's a life choice, I guess it's good to be sure.

I completely disagree. I would say that if I was looking at an applicant and they had this kind of pattern going in their CV it would only raise questions and make for strange pauses when compiling a short list. If they even made it far enough to be interviewed some of the first things that would be asked would be why and how do you know you are really serious.

That said, it seems to me that you are trying contrast two very different academic levels. The pattern you describe may work fine on a lower level but for anything first degree level and above; in both my opinion and experience you absolutely cannot afford to show inconsistency.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I am in the same boat as you at the moment, and I have looked around for good computer science degrees. (I'm starting the second year of Sixth Form in September)

What I found was the Universities looking for Maths (A-Level) have more theoretical courses and the ones looking for ICT or other are less so.

Furthermore, the ones looking for Maths have high algorithm contents. This means that if you don't enjoy this kind of thing, stay the fuck away from these ones.

You want to go into one with decent entry requirements too, such as ABB or AAB (Manchester). Other ones won't be looked on so highly.

Compatible with Windows 95

I am in the same boat as you at the moment, and I have looked around for good computer science degrees.

What I found was the Universities looking for Maths (A-Level) have more theoretical courses and the ones looking for ICT or other are less so.

Furthermore, the ones looking for Maths have high algorithm contents. This means that if you don't enjoy this kind of thing, stay the fuck away from these ones.

You want to go into one with decent entry requirements too, such as ABB or AAB (Manchester). Other ones won't be looked on so highly.

Bit of a maths geek to be honest, so I'd like learning about the algorithms. I already have a B at A2 maths, and I plan on bringing it up to an A grade next year along with continuing other subjects into A2.

Went to check out Manchester, looked at their CompSci and it's interesting what they do.

They basically teach you the fundamentals of programming and then teach you java, then in the later years you can look into other languages. They have a Raspberri Pi lab too.

Most Uni's will offer Interface and design courses too, for those classes you learn basics of UX and some basic Psychology and human behavior.

Hope this helped.

Comb it with a brick

Sorry about that.

I really enjoy mathematics and I'm also having a lot of fun with learning C++.

I'm about 90% sure this is what I want to do in life, but my main concern is choosing between the courses at different Unis.

Are there specific bits of content in the different courses that I should be watching out for?

EDIT: re-read your post. I guess I am still contemplating what I specifically would like to do with a computer science degree. Primarily, I'd like to get into software development. I'll read up on it more I guess.

No problem, we just need to know more about you. The kind of things that drive you, your passions, what you have currently achieved, where you want to go in life and how committed you are to getting there.

I'll go with the assumption that this is going to be a BSc degree. Now I will say that it's been quite a number of years since I last went through the MSc level process so I'm out of touch on the specifics of which Universities are offering which courses. But I can try to offer advice on a broader more general level.

It's great that you are doing some preparation first with the C++ and Mathematics. I actually always recommend that people start with C++ as a first language for the reasons that I'm sure you are quite aware of by now :P This will help you a huge amount not just on the degree but in understanding what's going on at the lower level of things in general. It also provides a great foundation for building upon when you go onto picking up other languages as you progress.

Some of the modules to look out for are specifically are going to be Algorithms and Data Structures as well as anything of interest to you personally which carries a mathematical element. Remember this is as much about you finding out where you want to go with this as it is about what is best for going into industry. Complimentary modules could be dealing with Distributed Systems, Cryptography (good for aerospace and defence work), Object Oriented Programming (also important). Just look at this rich selection over at Manchester! It's making me feel exited again just flicking through. I really envy you being at the start of a fantastic journey!

I will tell you about one of my personal experiences on my BSc degree. I was given the option of doing a placement and I chose not to primarily for the reason of age. I came back to education late in my life and thus considered if I wasted another year then that would only be one less year I'd have to actually build my career. Other contributing reasons were the low/no pay and also the status aspect i.e. being treated as inferior. What I did instead was go out and get a real job. I was actually lucky enough to be taken on as a Web Developer (yes not even a junior) which I did though my second and third year part time then after graduation going full time.

While this earned me a clear advantage as well as respect and admiration when it was time to move on it was not easy by any means. Especially on the third year with a dissertation on the go at the same time. There were times when I felt completely overwhelmed by the pressure. Further compounded by the discovery of pregnancy at the same time! But I will say that it defiantly paid off in the long run.

No problem, we just need to know more about you. The kind of things that drive you, your passions, what you have currently achieved, where you want to go in life and how committed you are to getting there.

I'll go with the assumption that this is going to be a BSc degree. Now I will say that it's been quite a number of years since I last went through the MSc level process so I'm out of touch on the specifics of which Universities are offering which courses. But I can try to offer advice on a broader more general level.

It's great that you are doing some preparation first with the C++ and Mathematics. I actually always recommend that people start with C++ as a first language for the reasons that I'm sure you are quite aware of by now :P This will help you a huge amount not just on the degree but in understanding what's going on at the lower level of things in general. It also provides a great foundation for building upon when you go onto picking up other languages as you progress.

Some of the modules to look out for are specifically are going to be Algorithms and Data Structures as well as anything of interest to you personally which carries a mathematical element. Remember this is as much about you finding out where you want to go with this as it is about what is best for going into industry. Complimentary modules could be dealing with Distributed Systems, Cryptography (good for aerospace and defence work), Object Oriented Programming (also important). Just look at this rich selection over at Manchester! It's making me feel exited again just flicking through. I really envy you being at the start of a fantastic journey!

I will tell you about one of my personal experiences on my BSc degree. I was given the option of doing a placement and I chose not to primarily for the reason of age. I came back to education late in my life and thus considered if I wasted another year then that would only be one less year I'd have to actually build my career. Other contributing reasons were the low/no pay and also the status aspect i.e. being treated as inferior. What I did instead was go out and get a real job. I was actually lucky enough to be taken on as a Web Developer (yes not even a junior) which I did though my second and third year part time then after graduation going full time.

While this earned me a clear advantage as well as respect and admiration when it was time to move on it was not an easy by any means. Especially on the third year with a dissertation on the go at the same time. There were times when I felt completely overwhelmed by the pressure, But I will say that it defiantly paid off in the long run.

Wow, that's a really awesome post. I have played around with CSS and HTML on my own site; basically changing another template someone else had made, and it turned out alright. Link: http://theballofgum.blogspot.co.uk/ . It's not great but it works. I didn't work on the content slider though. As for C++, I'm just working through tutorials at the moment, as well as approaching people about any questions. I'd say it's going ok so far, but that's the extent of any experience I have.

Also; pretty awesome about getting hired before graduating. :D

Wow, that's a really awesome post. I have played around with CSS and HTML on my own site; basically changing another template someone else had made, and it turned out alright. Link: http://theballofgum.blogspot.co.uk/ . It's not great but it works. I didn't work on the content slider though. As for C++, I'm just working through tutorials at the moment, as well as approaching people about any questions. I'd say it's going ok so far, but that's the extent of any experience I have.

Also; pretty awesome about getting hired before graduating. :D

Hah, you quoted me while I was modifying it :P I tend to post first and then spend a while tidying things up xD

Being completely truthful, I actually dislike Web Development ICK! It served it's purpose while I needed it, then I got shot of it for what I really wanted to do! :) Furthermore going on from what I said earlier about inconsistent patterns in ones CV; this move raised some very unpleasant questions at the time.

Just thinking about this, if you didn't already know about them we have a weekly problem solving session over in the Programming & Software Design sub forum orchestrated by @wolfsinner. These problems deal with a range of Computer Science relevant concepts such as Disjoint Sets, Algorithms, Graph Theory and Dynamic Programming to name just a few.

Additionally if you want speak to him about all this he is actually a Computer Science lecturer and would probably enjoy hearing form you :D However I think he may be away for the rest of this month.

Just thinking about this, if you didn't already know about them we have a weekly problem solving session over in the Programming & Software Design sub forum orchestrated by @wolfsinner. These problems deal with a range of Computer Science relevant concepts such as Disjoint Sets, Algorithms, Graph Theory and Dynamic Programming to name just a few.

Additionally if you want speak to him about all this he is actually a Computer Science lecturer and would probably enjoy hearing form you :D However I think he may be away for the rest of this month.

Checking it out now, but it seems like exactly what have sort of been looking for, and I can't thank you enough for that.

i would always make sure to visit the university and look round, you can tell how serious they are about your course by how much money they spend on things like buildings and open days. and talk to the staff and you'll decide quickly if you want to join.

i would always make sure to visit the university and look round, you can tell how serious they are about your course by how much money they spend on things like buildings and open days. and talk to the staff and you'll decide quickly if you want to join.

^^ This definitely. I spent a long time driving around the country before settling on one.

I'll be studying computer science this year in Leicester. It looks really cool - I went to visit this year and last year. In the first year of the course I'll be programming in C, looking at network systems and PC architecture and doing some lab work. Then it moves on to databases and secure scripting, among other things, and in my third year I will have various group projects to work on, and some students do a placement year as well. I can't wait! 

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

I completely disagree. I would say that if I was looking at an applicant and they had this kind of pattern going in their CV it would only raise questions and make for strange pauses when compiling a short list. If they even made it far enough to be interviewed some of the first things that would be asked would be why and how do you know you are really serious.

That said, it seems to me that you are trying contrast two very different academic levels. The pattern you describe may work fine on a lower level but for anything first degree level and above; in both my opinion and experience you absolutely cannot afford to show inconsistency.

There's nothing inconsistent about having different classes in college. First of all, employers rarely look at transcripts. But if he were to get into graduate school, having different classes on his CV with above B grades will only help him. The GPA matters more than what classes were taken, but if he takes electives that are not within his field of study, it looks better than if he were to stick to comp sci and nothing else. Graduate schools will never accept someone over someone else just because that person stuck to comp sci classes. They almost always want a well rounded liberal arts experience in their prospective students. As for finding a job, as long as you have the degree, most companies don't care about your GPA anyways. Taking elective classes in the arts or humanities does someone with a comp sci degree very well. We're talking about a 4 year university and in that 4 years, he's going to be taking a lot of electives. It's better for those electives to be in areas other than comp sci.

update: I have a cousin getting his PhD in biology and another cousin who is going to medical school this fall and both of them did things in college not related to their majors. They also got involved in activities. Activities matter almost as much as the classes taken. Extracurriculars are a huge boost for you when you're in college. 

There's nothing inconsistent about having different classes in college. First of all, employers rarely look at transcripts. But if he were to get into graduate school, having different classes on his CV with above B grades will only help him. The GPA matters more than what classes were taken, but if he takes electives that are not within his field of study, it looks better than if he were to stick to comp sci and nothing else. Graduate schools will never accept someone over someone else just because that person stuck to comp sci classes. They almost always want a well rounded liberal arts experience in their prospective students. As for finding a job, as long as you have the degree, most companies don't care about your GPA anyways. Taking elective classes in the arts or humanities does someone with a comp sci degree very well. We're talking about a 4 year university and in that 4 years, he's going to be taking a lot of electives. It's better for those electives to be in areas other than comp sci.

update: I have a cousin getting his PhD in biology and another cousin who is going to medical school this fall and both of them did things in college not related to their majors. They also got involved in activities. Activities matter almost as much as the classes taken. Extracurriculars are a huge boost for you when you're in college. 

This is exactly why I said that it seems that your trying to contrast two very different academic levels, moreover they are very different systems. Our system in the UK rarely permits one to swap relevant modules out of a BSc for completely irrelevant ones (a move that would ultimately prove extremely detrimental). Usually the BSc is a 3 year process with an optional year after the second spent in a placement in the industry thereby bringing the total to 4 years if chosen. Once the BSc is completed an MSc may then be undertaken (post graduate). Or based on industry/relevant experience a direct progression onto a PhD may even be possible bypassing the MSc completely.

I also disagree when you say that employers rarely look at transcripts. This is simply not true, it's more correct to say that they rarely look at transcripts given the candidates career level. If the candidate is young and it's relatively early on after graduation then of course transcripts are going to be interrogated. Mine were!

This is exactly why I said that it seems that your trying to contrast two very different academic levels, moreover they are very different systems. Our system in the UK rarely permits one to swap relevant modules out of a BSc for completely irrelevant ones (a move that would ultimately prove extremely detrimental). Usually the BSc is a 3 year process with an optional year after the second spent in a placement in the industry thereby bringing the total to 4 years if chosen. Once the BSc is completed an MSc may then be undertaken (post graduate). Or based on industry/relevant experience a direct progression onto a PhD may even be possible bypassing the MSc completely.

I also disagree when you say that employers rarely look at transcripts. This is simply not true, it's more correct to say that they rarely look at transcripts given the candidates career level.

comp sci is a 4 year degree and this advice works for any 4 year degree especially if the person wants to go to graduate school. I don't know 1 employer who has ever looked at a transcript who was actually a good employer. And if they do look at the transcript, then they won't refuse to hire someone because they decided to take humanities and arts classes as electives. They would care WAY more about grades than classes.

comp sci is a 4 year degree and this advice works for any 4 year degree especially if the person wants to go to graduate school. I don't know 1 employer who has ever looked at a transcript who was actually a good employer. And if they do look at the transcript, then they won't refuse to hire someone because they decided to take humanities and arts classes as electives. They would care WAY more about grades than classes.

All I can say is go and research how undergraduate education works in this country. Once you have done that and comprehend the process come back and field your disagreements in a better informed manner. Did you even look at the previous links posted? This one for example, the title clearly reads: "Computer Science (3 Years) [bSc]" My own BSc Software Engineering degree lasted a total of 3 years as well. This is a Bachelor of Science degree. Even by the title it would be a very odd thing to go and mix humanities in with it wouldn't you agree?

What you're describing applies better to our College level processes such as A Levels perhaps?

Computer Science is heavy on the math and logic.  Discrete mathematics is a pretty big component, since computer data is discrete, a lot of it applies.  Discrete math also umbrellas a lot of general problem solving approach skills, and that comes up aplenty.  You'll also do calculus, which I haven't found actually come up yet, but you only do the basic first year stuff.  Linear algebra can be very important (especially in the creation of virtual worlds... game development or simulation stuff) and you'll do it.  If you are interested in game development or simulation stuff, push for linear algebra elective credits, they will not betray you.  I would actually recommend you NOT take game development courses, because if you want to be a programmer for game development you can do that on your own time, and the concepts aren't that difficult.  At best, you learn how to work in small teams, but I can't say how well that translates to real life in the end, it isn't terrible I guess.  I'd opt for mobile/security courses, as those may serve your future job prospects better.

Besides that, you'll learn to code.  I think the languages and depths covered are where different universities will differ.  My degree was a surface coverage of many languages, and a lot of "the basics" courses (ex: learning C in VI).  If there's a language you want to know, you might as well just start playing with it on your own time.  It will only get you further ahead, and for competitiveness reasons you need to be ahead.  My sampling platter strategy of programming courses taught me that programming languages are pretty much all the same thing, I can go learn a new language or IDE very quickly because I've seen what's out there, seen what it's like to work with NO IDE, etc.

It's not like a college programming course where all you do is code a bunch.  You're doing a lot of math and logic and learning about theoretical stuff, then you'll apply some (the easier stuff) of those concepts in code.

Learn to love the shit out of solving a programming/math/discrete problem by hand, on a piece of paper, with psuedocode/math.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Interesting stuffs 

PS - i am thinking of something similar but in more of just about getting into it 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

• 1 month later...

I'm looking at Queen Mary right now. In the UK it seems CompSci courses give the students a general understanding of a lot of concepts, and then leaves the student to fill in the gaps himself. I guess that means I'll try getting a course that comes with a year in the industry.