Are you for or against nuclear power?

Sammael

Feel free to explain why, and please tell your country of origin, curious to know the location of the attitudes.

PS, I am for nuclear power, US

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Why do you create controversial topics all the time?

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Ahh something I know about. I recently wrote a college paper against it.

Everyone should be for it, and in fact I would invest heavily in it (If I had that kind of money) with the new fast reactors coming in 2050. These reactors will be more efficient, and burn the fuel completely out, rendering it radioactively safe. An in fact, can use old waste from the older generations of reactors as fuel. So there really is no reason not to be for it other than not knowing about this upcoming generation of reactors.

Because their more interesting that "hey lets all blow sunshine up each others asses all day" topics.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Against, US. I don't want to have a meltdown and fuck shit up (Chernobyl? That one in Japan?). I want to see more in the renewable resources area.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Better use it for energy rather than blowing each other up.

However, dropping a nuke on Mecca would do the world a favor imo.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Can you put,"I don't really mind" option.

Done.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Against, US. I don't want to have a meltdown and fuck shit up (Chernobyl? That one in Japan?). I want to see more in the renewable resources area.

See my above post. The new generation that's being developed won't have the problems of the current gens.

This is pretty tame.  Just curious what people think of nuclear power, if THAT's too much to handle for people... they need to be shut off the internet and locked in a cage so their brittle little minds can be protected.

See my above post. The new generation that's being developed won't have the problems of the current gens.

So basically, the risk of a meltdown (significant or otherwise) is almost or completely non-existent?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I am for the advancement of nuclear power, our environment is slowly being destroyed by oil and coal.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

So basically, the risk of a meltdown (significant or otherwise) is almost or completely non-existent?

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/187917-startup-gets-funding-for-its-molten-salt-nuclear-reactor-that-eats-radioactive-waste

The new reactors being developed won't have those issues.  Take a look at the link above, if power is lost and fission runs out of control and starts heating up the system, the salt will expand and slow the reactions to the point where it can't melt down.  If this reactor was running in Fukushima, there would not have been an issue with the lost power.

I expect this to be pretty one sided to the point of boredom.

I would say against, but I can't come up with a reasonable argument beyond "look at Japan and Russia"

jesus OP, try and spice this up a little bit.

Error: 410

Like EVERY energy production method it has it's advantages (cheap and better than coal and oil) and disadvantages (the H20 steam is still a greenhouse gas and they can have pretty bad impacts when something goes wrong [even though disasters with them are rather rare]).

i'm a potato

wasn't that cause by a tsunami? I guess even if you were for it tmc it'd be a low percentage. Personally I would like to see more nuclear plants with better economical benefits. Maybe smaller in size but larger in the number of plants producing this sort of energy.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

See below.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/187917-startup-gets-funding-for-its-molten-salt-nuclear-reactor-that-eats-radioactive-waste

The new reactors being developed won't have those issues.  Take a look at the link above, if power is lost and fission runs out of control and starts heating up the system, the salt will expand and slow the reactions to the point where it can't melt down.  If this reactor was running in Fukushima, there would not have been an issue with the lost power.

This is why (I think) my native virginia government decided not to take advantage of our local uranium source (in an around Danville Virginia). It is the 7TH LARGEST DEPOSIT OF URANIUM KNOWN TO MAN. And yet they claim they won't mine it out of fear of safety, which I argue is a lie, because this is the US, if there's one thing we do right it's safety for the most part. Right now this fuel deposit is worth billions, I would estimate when the new gen of reactors comes online and the safety is established that it will be worth trillions. Especially when the waste fuel from the older gen runs out.

Like EVERY energy production method it has it's advantages (cheap and better than coal and oil) and disadvantages (the H20 steam is still a greenhouse gas and they can have pretty bad impacts when something goes wrong [even though disasters with them are rather rare]).

H20 steam is not a greenhouse gas, what moron told you that? It's WATER VAPOR. It will condense and turn into rain. That's not a greenhouse gas, that's RAIN.

wasn't that cause by a tsunami? I guess even if you were for it tmc it'd be a low percentage. Personally I would like to see more nuclear plants with better economical benefits. Maybe smaller in size but larger in the number of plants producing this sort of energy.

That's what the next gen will be, the so called "fast reactors"

I did a seven page paper on this, I remember most of it, but at this point If I had the money I would invest in it like hell before the boom starts.

That is extremely interesting... This would have been great for discussion in my science classes.

i'm a potato

Yes, but water vapor is much easier to deal with, ignoring the slew out other emissions from coal and atrocities of shale fracking.

It's WATER VAPOR. It will condense and turn into rain. That's not a greenhouse gas, that's RAIN.

Water vapor still behaves like gas, and is does behave like a "greenhouse" gas

it has a greater effect than actual true gasses.

Error: 410

last I checked there is about 430 active nuclear power plants. 2 bad accidents in the last 30 years is such a small amount. Yes those events were terrible but once the nuclear rods become waste they bury them into the earth in a way that by the time erosion brings those rods back to the surface or into an aquifer the material will be inert. I am for it. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

That is extremely interesting... This would have been great for discussion in my science classes.

Indeed. Think of it as a more dynamic cooling system that reacts based on it's own temperature than input from a control device.

Also, without chernobyl we wouldn't have the STALKER series. A tasteless argument yes, but a valid one I think lol.

Then again I am probably one of the very few people that would be semi-ok with a radioactive apocalypse.

I'm against it in its current form, but I hate these "Nuclear free peace sandals". I voted yes, because of the potential there is in that technology, especially in nuclear fusion. Unfortunately, the funding for that kind of stuff gets cut since the german gouvernment got rid of the nuclear power plants

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I am absolutely for it. At the current rate of nuclear power consumption we can last 200 years on a power than generates only radiation pollution.  We take the radioactive rods from these plants and put them feet beneath concrete where the radiation cannot get through. Radiation has a half life. Eventually the material becomes inert. In 200 years time I have absolute faith we will have come up with a fuel that is completely pollution free and a renewable resource. I am all for nuclear. I think that power plants should be more strict because as rare as accidents like Chernobyl and japan are. That is too many. There should be none. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

dTeRXR5Tk.jpg

"YES" if it wasn't clear enough.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

H20 steam is not a greenhouse gas, what moron told you that? It's WATER VAPOR. It will condense and turn into rain. That's not a greenhouse gas, that's RAIN.

It is, it behaves like one, it's easier to deal with than CO2 and stuff but it's still a greenhouse gas.

i'm a potato

iYOXpB3.jpg

Either way, when they do have a meltdown, it's devastating.

last I checked there is about 430 active nuclear power plants. 2 bad accidents in the last 30 years is such a small amount. Yes those events were terrible but once the nuclear rods become waste they bury them into the earth in a way that by the time erosion brings those rods back to the surface or into an aquifer the material will be inert. I am for it. 

It's obvious I don't know too much about the inner workings of nuclear power.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler