Is an SSD really worth it?

Jason Kimmings

Im looking into whether or not to get an ssd as a boot and some bulky software storage but I don't really know if it worth it, I have never experienced an SSD so I dont know the difference between HDD and SSD... I'm on a budget build and I'm slightly over... Is it worth saving up the extra for one or not?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you'll never want to use a hdd only based pc ever again.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

No.

I dont have one, and dont plan on getting one. I think they are pointless.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

No.

...by which I mean yes. >_>

EDIT: In the interest of being more helpful, how tight of a budget are we talking about, exactly?

I dont have one,I think they are pointless.

?

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

No.

You're automatically disqualified.

OP, yes the are, but it depends on what you use your system for. If it's basic web browsing and the like, not really. If you do anything productive, yes. Try launching Photoshop off a standard hard drive vs an SSD. we're talking sub 2 seconds vs waiting for the water to boil for tea. The faster launch and transfer speed is worth it for those applications. As they say, time is money. How much is your time worth to you?

?

I dont have one, I think they are pointless.

I think they are pointless.

Money better spent in other areas.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

@Jason Kimmings

Worth the money? Depends on the model and the size that you are getting.

Worth it in the long run? So much so that you will suffer a cringe attack at the sight of someone loading a large installer .exe on an HDD-only system every time for the rest of your SSD ownership career. Even the most mainstream drives are warrantied to last longer than Barracudas and Blues.

Worth it in reliability? Absolutely. As long as you don't buy from some never-before-heard of brand based out of Mainland China, it's all good.

Im looking into whether or not to get an ssd as a boot and some bulky software storage but I don't really know if it worth it, I have never experienced an SSD so I dont know the difference between HDD and SSD... I'm on a budget build and I'm slightly over... Is it worth saving up the extra for one or not?

Thanks in advance

Get the SSD initially, then save up for the HDD later. Not the other way round.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

OP, yes the are, but it depends on what you use your system for. If it's basic web browsing and the like, not really. If you do anything productive, yes. Try launching Photoshop off a standard hard drive vs an SSD. we're talking sub 2 seconds vs waiting for the water to boil for tea.

I have one, I butchered the another person's quote and it now looks like mine.

No.

Haha, no.

Error: 410

I think they are pointless.

Money better spent in other areas.

Like what? A 4960X and 780 Ti to perfectly match that 7200rpm drive in terms of speed?

I understand where you're coming from if you only play games, but SSDs offer much more on the reliability and monitoring front than HDDs, more than enough to justify their current cost.

I have one, I butchered the another person's quote and it now looks like mine.

I noticed the M500 afterwards, my bad. :P

Edit: Fixed the post! But yeah, SSDs are so much cheaper now. Mine was like 250 dollars a few years ago for a 120GB. These days, you can get a 120GB SSD for the hundred dollar mark, sometimes less. The MX100 256GB SSD is probably the best value one with solid performance and sub 120 dollars.

Like what? A 4960X and 780 Ti to perfectly match that 7200rpm drive in terms of speed?

I understand where you're coming from if you only play games, but SSDs offer much more on the reliability and monitoring front than HDDs, more than enough to justify their current cost.

But it depends on if you need that or not. I personaly dont need reliability or monitorying.

They do make a significant difference in boot times and opening programs. Does it justify the price difference? Possibly not (depending on budget, how long you would need to save, capacity, buying other HDDs for mass storage etc.) If your budget allows you could look at a hybrid drive. 8GB doesn't sound like much, but my PC boots much faster now and my frequently used programs like browsers are a lot more responsive, and at only a small price increase.

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

No.

...by which I mean yes. >_>

EDIT: In the interest of being more helpful, how tight of a budget are we talking about, exactly?

£700 I'm currently at £720 WITHOUT an SSD, just a 1tb HDD

£700 I'm currently at £720 WITHOUT an SSD, just a 1tb HDD

What's the selection of hardware? Maybe we can squeeze in an SSD in there somewhere.

OP, yes the are, but it depends on what you use your system for. If it's basic web browsing and the like, not really. If you do anything productive, yes. Try launching Photoshop off a standard hard drive vs an SSD. we're talking sub 2 seconds vs waiting for the water to boil for tea. The faster launch and transfer speed is worth it for those applications. As they say, time is money. How much is your time worth to you?

I do use Photoshop and after effects a lot and it takes the good side of a minute for it to fully launch on a HDD...

No.

ever extensively used one?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I do use Photoshop and after effects a lot and it takes the good side of a minute for it to fully launch on a HDD...

"One thousand one, One thousand two." - Photoshop CS6 fully opens. (Yes, I randomly launched it for the sake of it and did actually say that.) My SSD is from 2011 and has aged a bit, but still launches programs near instantly. Since you use those programs a lot, an SSD may very well be worth it for. Believe me, I remember how sluggish PS felt on my old system that only had a standard 7200rpm Seagate drive.

Yes they are worth every penny in my opinion. I wouldn't build a system for myself without one inside. 

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches