The GTX 780 Isn't as Good of a Deal as Most People Think !

-Destroies everything single GPU - titan

>cost 350 less than titan

>so close to titan

>Its a bad deal

May I please have an image signature?

Yeah while I agree that it is a better option that the Titan. I do also feel that yeah it is kinda overpriced - perhaps part of Nvidias marketing scheme by pricing the Titan at $1000, and then making a slightly slower card for like $6xx while it should cost even a hundred or so less extra.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Kind of what i realised after my initial glee with the release of the 780..

$650 seems pretty expensive for a flagship card no less. Cmon AMD make me proud with your volcanic islands! (And maybe a Never Settle Reloaded LEVELUP MAX Bundle) :P

I'm going to wait & see what AMD comes up with before I buy anything, I bought a 670 & regretted it.

You should only upgrade your gpu every 3 generations anyway, to notice a significant jump in performance

What do you think ?

@ 2560x1440 frame rate increase from GTX 680 in the following games

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/61310-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review.html

Crysis 3 = 5fps increase

Dirt: Showdown = 8fps increase and only 1fps increase from HD 7970

Far Cry 3 = 9fps increase from GTX 680 and 7fps increase from HD 7970

Hitman Absolution = 16fps increase from GTX 680 and only 8fps increase from  HD 7970

Max Payne 3 = 13fps increase from GTX 680 and only 4fps increase from HD 7970

Tomb Raider = 8fps increase from GTX 680 and only 4fps increase from  HD 7970

If anything this just highlights the value that HD Radeon Graphics represents.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

I think it was priced pretty good maybe a little high like $550 would be good but a slightly weakened titan for $650 is good imo

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I think it was priced pretty good maybe a little high like $550 would be good but a slightly weakened titan for $650 is good imo

I think for roughly give of take another 10fps in most games over an HD 7970 is a bit criminal to charge roughly;y $200 more just imo.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

I think for roughly another 10fps in most games over an HD 7970 is a bit criminal to charge roughly;y $200 more just imo.

meh, you dont have to buy it to mind you, if you think the 7970 is better get it.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

The Nvidia shadowplay feature almost makes it worth it IMO but I have to hear more first-hand experiences with the feature before I can decide. Not in a rush to upgrade, as of now I'm leaning 25% towards AMD, 30% towards new Nvidias (if 770 is max the same price as 7970) and 45% towards waiting for whatever is next...

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

meh, you dont have to buy it to mind you, if you think the 7970 is better get it.

Well it's not about me it's about commanding more money for high end graphics card buy in. Price keeps increasing but value for dollar is not. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/61310-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review.html

IMO based on these numbers from HC what I am suggesting is that GTX 780 is over hyped and worth nothing more than $500 for a reference card imo.

Ah, so you're the infamous G.Freeman....

Me: Yeah I just really can't get my H220 working again, I've tried everything that was suggested in the forum.

Brian (Swiftech Support): Hmm, have you tried slapping it?

I feel this is more like a titan, leaning that way anyway. It is faster, period. If you have to have that, you'll buy it, if not you will wait for the 770, 760ti or the next AMD cards. It all comes back to what Linus says, as long as we give nVidia, or any company, our money they will see the price justified. IMO, the features, the engineering ( so many underestimate the cost of this, I did at least)  make it all worth it to me. Only thing I wish it had 4-5GB vRAm but still great to me.

May I please have an image signature?

I feel this is more like a titan, leaning that way anyway. It is faster, period. If you have to have that, you'll buy it, if not you will wait for the 770, 760ti or the next AMD cards.

I see that as failed logic. IMO a GTX 770 for around $550 is retarded. Moving the price up is just bad business practice being that most gamers are not into monetary economic enough to realize whats going on. All nvidia is doing with the 7xx series is moving the price bar higher.

Only counting minimum frame rate as an indicator of overall performance is flawed logic IMO.  You could use the same argument to justify the 7870 as being the best video card on the market but its not.  Price/performance is not the only metric to consider when buying a video card and that can vary widely between people.  Higher average frame rates may cost you more money but to some people its worth it.  I upgraded from CF 7970's to SLI Titans and absolutely love the increase in performance.  There was nothing wrong with the 7970's but there is no question the Titans are better and that was worth even the exorbitant price to me...

Intel Core i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | 2 x EVGA GTX Titan SC (1254MHz) | 16GB Patriot Viper Extreme DDR3 2133MHz (4 x 4GB) | Corsair AX1200 | Silverstone Temjin TJ11 | Corsair Force 3 240GB (System) | 2 x Intel 320 160GB SSD (Dedicated Gaming Drives) | Hitachi Deskstar 1TB (Data) | MS Windows 10 Pro | EK Supreme HF/FC-Titan/Rampage IV Extreme blocks | Hardware Labs GTX 560/240 rads | Alphacool VPP-655 D5 pump | Bitspower mod kit/pump top/fittings/120mm res

Only counting minimum frame rate as an indicator of overall performance is flawed logic IMO.  You could use the same argument to justify the 7870 as being the best video card on the market but its not.  Price/performance is not the only metric to consider when buying a video card and that can vary widely between people.  Higher average frame rates may cost you more money but to some people its worth it.  I upgraded from CF 7970's to SLI Titans and absolutely love the increase in performance.  There was nothing wrong with the 7970's but there is no question the Titans are better and that was worth even the exorbitant price to me...

Some people like no stutters. For a 100% smooth as possible game play the min frame rate needs to stay at or above the monitors refresh rate. I like vsync on because it offers the most consistent framerate without any fluctuation on the condition that the framerate can always be maintained at or above the monitors refresh rate. Erratic frame rate fluctuation when the min and max framerate have a huge gap in between them means choppy gameplay therefore what I suggest for an ideal gameplay experience is to lock the framerate via Vsync or Adaptive Vysnc and reduce settings until the frame rate is pinned at the monitors native refresh rate.

I don't think the card is that much worth it, giving it only gains so much % over the current 7970, there's just no value for the money you have to put down. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Anandtech get different results on Crysis 3 at the same resolution between the 680 vs 780. Also, Hardware canuck is a bit vague. They only mention AA. Not the type being used. Anandtech use FXAA, and get a difference of 12.1FPS with the 780 coming out on top. Between the 780 and 7970GHz edition, we see a 11.5FPS increase with the 780 coming out on top. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/16

Also, on Hitman Absolution, the 780 gains 14FPS over the 680(two FPS less than the results you posted), and 4.6FPS increase over the 7970GHz.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Anandtech get different results on Crysis 3 at the same resolution between the 680 vs 780. Also, Hardware canuck is a bit vague. They only mention AA. Not the type being used. Anandtech use FXAA, and get a difference of 12.1FPS with the 780 coming out on top. Between the 780 and 7970GHz edition, we see a 11.5FPS increase with the 780 coming out on top. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6973/nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review/16

Also, on Hitman Absolution, the 780 gains 14FPS over the 680(two FPS less than the results you posted), and 4.6FPS increase over the 7970GHz.

The question becomes why use FXAA on a high end card ?

The question becomes why use FXAA on a high end card ?

At least we know what AA they're using.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

At least we know what AA they're using.

Whats that have to do with anything ?

You're gonna love this. Turns out Hardware Canuck is using FXAA too! At least on certain titles - like Crysis 3. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/61310-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review-7.html

You're gonna love this. Turns out Hardware Canuck is using FXAA too! At least on certain titles - like Crysis 3. http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/61310-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review-7.html

So whats your point than ?

So whats your point than ?

You hate the fact that Anandtech used FXAA - so did Hardware Canuck.

You hate the fact that Anandtech used FXAA - so did Hardware Canuck.

Clearly Crysis 3 is a heavy title and clearly at HD+ resolutions even high end cards cannot maintain high enough framerates to enable the use of proper AA therefore FXAA is justified in this situation but I personally never use it as it lowers image fidelity.  Back on topic ......