Should LTT give-a-ways be limited to contributing members only?

Mooshi

OK I see your point but half my posts are for giveaways and the other ones are me getting mad at people saying that for just gaming people should go i5 instead of AMD because the fps will go down by 20 frames even though it has been tested many times and it doesn't, but they should at least have 2 posts

I agree only for the giveaways done by LTT (like those LG G3 ones). Not the ones that the forum members do. Or else I'm dead :D

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

I think the ones that are advertised on youtube should be for anyone but there should be the occasional forum exclusive givaways

This is a good idea actually, have the occasional comp that's only advertised on the forums.

Stop acting entitled.

Just because you're a serious community member doesn't mean you have any more validity of partisipation than any other.

500 is way to high I have been using the forum for information for months but I don't post much, a minimum post number is ridiculous. 

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

The are people who lurk on the forums and are probably avid users. Not a good idea.

hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh SWIGGITY SWOOTY I'M COMING FOR THAT BOOTY hehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh

huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue LINIXTEKTEPS R DE BES I LUV LINUX huehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehuehue

Yes, because elitism is exactly what LTT is all about. RIght? :P

Next step, you can only watch his videos if you have a minimum of 50 posts and 1 month as a member of the forum, because this is an exclusive club! </sarcasm>

edit:

This is how the community would appear to anyone visiting, or any long term member who just prefers reading to posting. 

the-internet-has-spoken.jpg

Edited by jollander

Potato

it only took me like 2 weeks to get 500

i have been on this forum for months i think since march 

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

There are big fans of linus that aren't interested in the forum though. I watched linus as my #1 tech youtuber for about a month before joining the community.

Also, 500 is WAY too high. I don't post everyday, but I'm a fairly active user and I have less than 350.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I think there should be a requirement of being a member before a certain date and having a 100 or more posts. That way people would contribute to the forum and it would be fair for everybody else. The way contests are now, Linus would be better off walking out the door and giving the item to a random person walking by.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Fix your title. Contributing means giving money for running things here. Which would make those giveaways illegal or requiring specail permits in many countries.

As for limitting it to active members, why bother? It doesn't make chances any better.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thread spam, Come on man, If I see another I'm going to have to report you.

Ran by coffee

the forum has gone over this before, no. 

Unless the give away is specifically for current members only, otherwise the give-aways are way to either build a larger community or sub base.

It would be cool if there was like a monthly give away just for the contributing members with just like a game code or something, doesn't have to be huge

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

maybe a minimal post count of 20, thats reasonable. what bothers me is all these people that have never been on the forum, and suddenly get stuff

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Finally got caught on the latest WAN show and when I got to that part, I face palmed really hard that the winner was a 1 post no show and those on page 8 were majority nubs.

I believe give-a-ways and stuff on LTT should be limited to actual members of the forum that have a post count high enough to warrant a custom title, so 500 posts minimum. (or even 100 min since that's not even hard to acquire) ((shoot, even 10 with actual meaning and not e-begging would be better than what we seem to get for contests)) I understand the friendly nature of give-a-ways, but it bothers me the sheer amount of <10 post users that show up strictly to fuel their greed and not actually be a part of the community.

I can't be the only one who feels this way.

*I didn't even enter so this isn't a rant of wanting skewed odds.

Yeah I think 25 or 50s a more suitable number then 10 100 or 500... And should require the acount to be made before the giveaway thread.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I do think forum exclusive (100+ posts) giveways would be great though.

post-64328-0-09497500-1407067906.jpg

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Here we go again.

They do these giveaways to promote their channels. They don't do it because you've been a nice member.

If you want something so bad, go get a job and buy what you want.

I don't believe it should be, no.

Limiting eligibility to those who are active on the forums precludes a massive number of people

who may contribute significantly in other areas. Just because someone is not active here does

not mean that they don't contribute to Linus Tech Tips in any way. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

sorry for the wall of text just wanted to ask some questions.

As someone that's relatively new to Linus tech tips and is a "lurker" and not really a poster the first question i have is do you consider some one like me a "contributing member"?

Honestly I wouldn't in terms of what i contribute to the discussion (obviously i'm contributing right now but this is my first post). Conversely i would argue in terms of viewing videos and liking i contribute in my own way to Linus and the company in my consumption of their videos and the youtube revenue they generate from that. This also goes further as my added view count and likes go to helping increase their sponsor revenue and such. If we looked at the numbers I'd hazard a guess that  I'm probably worth less in a strict $ value to the company as a whole than the op of this thread would be, as they're the kind of members company's really want to see when it comes to sponsorship deals. 

My second question is, what do you think the point of the polls is predominantly? Is it to reward existing members or is it an attempt a to increase traffic to this site? Is it an attempt to gain more members/more active members?  Is it a combination of these things? I'd like to make another assumption here that it is a combination of these things if he's said anywhere that this assumption is false and you have proof i'd like you to link that in a response that disagrees with this assumption Iv'e made. Not that I'm in anyway sure that this again assumption is correct only Linus can really say either way on that. 

Lastly I'ts up to Linus what type of member is more important or if we are in fact all equal in terms of importance to the company also its also up to Linus as to the reason or reasons for the giveaway's are. Honestly i can understand Linus not commenting on this discussion but i'd love to see one from him and get an answer to my questions to just definitively answer the question posed either way.

TLDR

What makes a "contributing" member? 

What is the point in the giveaways?

Basically its up to Linus in the end and if its been open to all users so far that's probably what he wants.

I just wish they would leave the forum out of it. The giveaways are all for boosting traffic, and the traffic we get from it may result in long time contributing members, but is more unlikely. I applied to win Logan's car. It didn't require me to go spam the TekSyndicate forum, and even if I won, I wouldn't become a contributing member of that forum.

Every month I contemplate ceasing my bronze contribution. It's so aggravating that the loyal contributors(monetary or dedicated forum members) get nothing. When I decided to contribute, it was strictly to help keep the forum alive. Then months later I looked at the supposed perks of contributing....I feel like a number. There are no perks. The store is full of shit, garage sales rarely happen anymore, Linus keeps all the good stuff at his house. It sucks to see what we(the community) have built get scooped up by non-contributing one-time members.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

The idea of the giveaway is to garner a larger audience, but by making it exclusive and harder to gain access. It becomes a boys club.

Having minimal post count is nice but you can allways spam. Miminum registration/subbing time is better IMO. Starting giveaway in 5th of August and ending it on the 8th and having a minimum of 1 week registration time

I think the ones that are advertised on youtube should be for anyone but there should be the occasional forum exclusive givaways

this!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I chose the third option because Slick is hawt.

In all seriousness though, I say no not only because I don't post much but also because it's for the Linus Tech Tips AUDIENCE not LTT Forum members. You may be part of one but not the other although only being part of the latter but not the former is probably a very very small percentage of people. Maybe what I would say works is you link your forum account to your YouTube account and only those who are subscribed to Linus in the linked accounts may join the giveaway.

(Note: The above is my opinion please don't appear in front of my house with torches and pitchforks.)

I can see both sides. On one side, giveaways, especially for milestones like X subs or views seem like they should be exclusive to things like the existing subscribers or members, but also I can see that they're a big marketing thing in an honestly over saturated market.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11