Should LTT give-a-ways be limited to contributing members only?

Mooshi

Finally got caught on the latest WAN show and when I got to that part, I face palmed really hard that the winner was a 1 post no show and those on page 8 were majority nubs.

I believe give-a-ways and stuff on LTT should be limited to actual members of the forum that have a post count high enough to warrant a custom title, so 500 posts minimum. (or even 100 min since that's not even hard to acquire) ((shoot, even 10 with actual meaning and not e-begging would be better than what we seem to get for contests)) I understand the friendly nature of give-a-ways, but it bothers me the sheer amount of <10 post users that show up strictly to fuel their greed and not actually be a part of the community.

I can't be the only one who feels this way.

*I didn't even enter so this isn't a rant of wanting skewed odds.

I think the giveaways are meant mostly for LTT fans, not for LTT forum members.

I don't think posting on here helping people for fun should mean I qualify for free stuff and other people don't

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

the forum has gone over this before, no. 

Unless the give away is specifically for current members only, otherwise the give-aways are way to either build a larger community or sub base.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

This topic got brought up in the last giveaway. I'm afraid that one debate over this should be good enough.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I think the ones that are advertised on youtube should be for anyone but there should be the occasional forum exclusive givaways

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

500 post minimum.. ? Well, I'm not even close.

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

It's a no. But 500 post min? Why?

Something like 50 or 100 posts just so that they are not just getting on the forum to win and leave. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Finally got caught on the latest WAN show and when I got to that part, I face palmed really hard that the winner was a 1 post no show and those on page 8 were majority nubs.

I believe give-a-ways and stuff on LTT should be limited to actual members of the forum that have a post count high enough to warrant a custom title, so 500 posts minimum. I understand the friendly nature of give-a-ways, but it bothers me the sheer amount of <10 post users that show up strictly to fuel their greed and not actually be a part of the community.

wait latest wan show? They announced the winners?

I totally agree with you but that would cause people to spam posts just to win the giveaway

Life.exe is missing

Over what, a dogfight in the Youtube comment section, sloppy Youtube PMs or that horrible privacy leaking site known as Facebook? I still feel contributing members of the community should be the only ones eligible and not those who sign up only to never return. I know for a fact some of these types of people aren't even techies nor fans and only sign up for contests for a shot of getting something for free and nothing more.

Even if 500 is too high, I feel under 10 and never to return is a slap in Linus' face just to get something off of him. I mean, maybe a min of 100 which is not even that difficult at all to achieve.

Linus encourages people to join the forum for giveaways assuming that they'll contribute, which most of them don't. 

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

It's a no. But 500 post min? Why?

it only took me like 2 weeks to get 500

Over what, a dogfight in the Youtube comment section, sloppy Youtube PMs or that horrible privacy leaking site known as Facebook? I still feel contributing members of the community should be the only ones eligible and not those who sign up only to never return. I know for a fact some of these types of people aren't even techies nor fans and only sign up for contests for a shot of getting something for free and nothing more.

Even if 500 is too high, I feel under 10 and never to return is a slap in Linus' face just to get something off of him. I mean, maybe a min of 100 which is not even that difficult at all to achieve.

I get that you're upset that you're not on an exclusive list of only a couple hundred eligible winners,  but i think if someone is subscribed to his channel and watches his videos, they aren't doing much less than someone who goes on the forum for fun.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

Post count can be inflated easily.
A fairer way is anyone can be in the contest, however the longer you have been on LTT forums in years can be added to your chances.

For example somebody signs up to LTT for a competition. That's one chance.
If you signed up 2 years ago then you get 1 chance for being already on the forum and an extra 2 chances for the years you have been on it.

My only worry is, that it might be hard to implement. But it could be done.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

it only took me like 2 weeks to get 500

I get that you're upset that you're not on an exclusive list of only a couple hundred eligible winners,  but i think if someone is subscribed to his channel and watches his videos, they aren't doing much less than someone who goes on the forum for fun.

I didn't even enter nor cared, I come to post because I care for the community.

Have a post count prerequisite would only encourage more shitposting

No thanks

Considering the majority of shit-posting is in off-topic, a board that doesn't contribute to post count, we'll be fine. ;)

I believe give-a-ways and stuff on LTT should be limited to actual members of the forum that have a post count high enough to warrant a custom title, so 500 posts minimum. I understand the friendly nature of give-a-ways, but it bothers me the sheer amount of <10 post users that show up strictly to fuel their greed and not actually be a part of the community.

Well I do agree however they did meet the criteria that is just be a forum member & post in the thread. 500 min post count is quite a lot of posts excluding the jibber jabber.

I remember posting on my status a while back during the LG G3 giveaway

1. Never follow at the beginning of a giveaway because you're fucked screwed unless...nevermind I digress
  2. I wasn't pissed off at the 22 members who were 1 post members but I congratulated them for being participants no hate for them being new however I did begin to believe someone might've created multi-accounts

I like how in Logan's most recent giveaway for the gaming system + his car (holy freakin crazy!!!!) but it's open to pretty much anyone and everyone whether they're part of the tek syndicate forum or not (with the Facebook login.)

Regarding a minimum criteria to be met by the forum members in-terms of a starting date "when you joined/joined 1 month prior to the contest" is not required, 100-50 minimum post count is reachable for anyone. I doubt you need friends to confirm it but I dunno.

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

Every time a giveaway happens, there are a few of these threads that are created. Some people on the forum fail to realize that there are  more people that watch Linus's videos than are active on this forum. Linus wants to have the giveaways open to subscribers, not necessarily only forum members. If you dont like it, well too bad because it was never up to you.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Considering the majority of shit-posting is in off-topic, a board that doesn't contribute to post count, we'll be fine. ;)

I swear there are people RIGHT NOW who answer legitimate, complex questions on this forum with a simple "yes" or "no" as an answer.

That x100 with an absurd 500 post count requirement.

10 is much more understandable.

currently, yes.

but with a prerequisite, it would increase tenfold and end up going into every board

I have seen every video for the past 3 years and these are all my posts I have read lots of post but I only post stuff when people are wrong

For anyone that saying 50,100, 500,1000+ post to be in a giveaway. try this, The last time this debate happened a couple of weeks ago there were only 12,800 people that had 10 post or more on this forum. that meant that the rest of the 98,000 members ( at the time) on LTT had 9 post or less and over 50,000 ( this # has increased in the last 2 weeks ) of the 98,000 members at the time had 0-2 post. I think that if a person has just 10 or more post, would be plenty fair enough.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

If they wanted a contributor-only giveaway, they wouldn't put it all over youtube and would require that you must be a member with X-amount of posts before the giveaway.

No, once again, the giveaways are for meant for Linus' viewers not just the biggest shitposters.

And I think it would be wrong to have better odds depending on your post count or time on the forum. Time on the forum would simply be unfair for newer member. Post count would also be quite unfair since it's pretty much based on how you use the forum.

It still bothers me that the original poster was a 1 post no show that most likely wasn't even a fan of Linus nor gave a crap about anything other than themselves.

If you wanna go the 10 post route, than at least the other 9 posts should be of some meaning and not just spamming GIVE ME FREE SHIT.