FreeSync FAQ Released - pretty disappointing

exyia

"Check out he link I posted earlier, you need an r series card to use freesync for dynamic gaming.  Any argument about which monitor to buy is moot until FS hits the shelves and we have an actual price to compare."~Mr moose.

what?  are you trolling? 

That is exactly what I said, you need an R series card to use free sync for gaming.  Even AMD say that,  why do you claim they don't then claim when I say they do that I am wrong.  

You do know what the R7 series and R9 series GPU are don't you?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

what?  are you trolling? 

That is exactly what I said, you need an R series card to use free sync for gaming.  Even AMD say that,  why do you claim they don't then claim when I say they do that I am wrong.  

You do know what the R7 series and R9 series GPU are don't you?

You do not seem to understand the flaw in your statement. Not all R series gpu support freesync. As i have stated earlier only the following "The AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 GPUs additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming." That is not ALL R series cards. I suppose I should make it clear I am referencing to the "dynamic refresh rates" part of freesync.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

You do not seem to understand the flaw in your statement. Not all R series gpu support freesync. As i have stated earlier only the following "The AMD Radeon™ R9 295X2, 290X, R9 290, R7 260X and R7 260 GPUs additionally feature updated display controllers that will support dynamic refresh rates during gaming." That is not ALL R series cards. I suppose I should make it clear I am referencing to the "dynamic refresh rates" part of freesync.

No, I never said any R series, I simply said you have to have an R series, there are three missing, but that is not the point, the point is you won't get the dynamic freesync unless you have an R series card because the 7000 and 8000 series are all GCN 1.0 not 1.1.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

No, I never said any R series, I simply said you have to have an R series, there are three missing, but that is not the point, the point is you won't get the dynamic freesync unless you have an R series card because the 7000 and 8000 series are all GCN 1.0 not 1.1.

When you stated "an R series" I interpreted it as a generalization of the whole series. You should have stated SOME of the R series to avoid confusion.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

When you stated "an R series" I interpreted it as a generalization of the whole series. You should have stated SOME of the R series to avoid confusion.

sorry, the context of the conversation was that some (a few) people would have to upgrade to get freesync,  so I was really only talking about those who are still using the 7000 and 8000 stuff. The thing this conversation cements for me is the point that even if you have the 280, 265 or 250 which are marketed and advertised as GCN cards  (as opposed to GCN 1.1 or 1.0) then you will still need to upgrade.  With all the hype surround freesync I would not be at all surprised if people with the 280x thought their cards were compatible.

The problem they have with gameworks, is that nvidia is directly writing code and integrating it into games, resulting in games that have code written directly by the competition, running on AMD hardware and potentially making it look bad in benchmarks because the code is only optimized for nvidia hardware.

Yes, I wouldn't expect nvidia to give AMD access to their proprietary code, nor would I expect nvidia to care about optimizing their code for AMD, but the problem AMD has is that nvidia is shoving their own code into games in the first place, resulting in games that have nvidia written effects that AMD cannot fully optimize, because its essentially a black box to them.

Anyone that can't understand why AMD is frustrated by this is wearing fanboy blinders.

If it was the other way around I'm sure Nvidia wouldn't be pleased either.

Does Nvidia have access to AMD's proprietary tech? Can they optimise for stuff like TressFX? Then there's really no point in being upset, morally speaking, because you'd be complaining about something you're doing. It's OK to not like this, but it's how the world works.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

sorry, the context of the conversation was that some (a few) people would have to upgrade to get freesync,  so I was really only talking about those who are still using the 7000 and 8000 stuff. The thing this conversation cements for me is the point that even if you have the 280, 265 or 250 which are marketed and advertised as GCN cards  (as opposed to GCN 1.1 or 1.0) then you will still need to upgrade.  With all the hype surround freesync I would not be at all surprised if people with the 280x thought their cards were compatible.

I completely agree with you but this is simply a fact of life. Old hardware not being compatible with new technology is nothing new. Do I blame AMD? No, they have stated from the start that GCN 1.1 was required to use Freesync dynamic refresh rate.

Does Nvidia have access to AMD's proprietary tech? Can they optimise for stuff like TressFX? Then there's really no point in being upset, morally speaking, because you'd be complaining about something you're doing. It's OK to not like this, but it's how the world works.

AMD gave nVidia full access to TressFX, and it ran about the same on both platforms ~ 1 month after Tomb Raider came out.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGV5z8YFM8

I think people here should watch this video, it explains how free sync work and the beef about gameworks between nvidia and amd, i personally am a nvidia fanboy but after watching this video i actually think free sync makes sence and have the potential to be better than g-sync. the video will also benefit thoes who wants to understand the technology instead of just shitting on amd. (so much amd hate in this thread~><)

XLOEXS ICase Corsair® Obsidian 250D | CPU Intel® Core™ i7 4790K | GPU NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX TITAN Black 6GB | Motherboard Asus Z97i-Plus | Memory 16GB Corsair® Dominator™ Platinum DDR3-2133 (2x8GB) | HDD 3TB Seagate® Barracuda™ XT | SSD 500GB Samsung® 840 EVO SSD | Cooling Swiftech Apogee Drive II CPU block/Pump Combo, Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240 + EKWB XTC CoolStream 140 Radiators, NoiseBlocker Black Silent Pro PLS 120mm X 2 + Corsair AF-140 Fans, Koolance TNK-501 Single 5.25in Bay Reservoir, Rev.1.1, Primochill Advance LRT Flexible PVC Tubing, Mayhems Pastel Mint Green Coolant | PSU Corsair® Professional Digital Series AX860 80+ Platinum Certified Modular Power Supply.

AMD gave nVidia full access to TressFX, and it ran about the same on both platforms ~ 1 month after Tomb Raider came out.

Good then.

Being upset makes more sense then.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGV5z8YFM8

I think people here should watch this video, it explains how free sync work and the beef about gameworks between nvidia and amd, i personally am a nvidia fanboy but after watching this video i actually think free sync makes sence and have the potential to be better than g-sync. the video will also benefit thoes who wants to understand the technology instead of just shitting on amd. (so much amd hate in this thread~><)

That video has been posted many times,  it's basically a marketing thing. We need to get a impartial view, not one from amd or nvidia.

That video has been posted many times,  it's basically a marketing thing. We need to get a impartial view, not one from amd or nvidia.

Fair enough, though i don't think it's a marketing strategy.

XLOEXS ICase Corsair® Obsidian 250D | CPU Intel® Core™ i7 4790K | GPU NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX TITAN Black 6GB | Motherboard Asus Z97i-Plus | Memory 16GB Corsair® Dominator™ Platinum DDR3-2133 (2x8GB) | HDD 3TB Seagate® Barracuda™ XT | SSD 500GB Samsung® 840 EVO SSD | Cooling Swiftech Apogee Drive II CPU block/Pump Combo, Hardware Labs Black Ice Nemesis GTS 240 + EKWB XTC CoolStream 140 Radiators, NoiseBlocker Black Silent Pro PLS 120mm X 2 + Corsair AF-140 Fans, Koolance TNK-501 Single 5.25in Bay Reservoir, Rev.1.1, Primochill Advance LRT Flexible PVC Tubing, Mayhems Pastel Mint Green Coolant | PSU Corsair® Professional Digital Series AX860 80+ Platinum Certified Modular Power Supply.

Don't want do get something started, but for G-Sync you need a 650Ti Boost or above...

Anyone with something like a 580... nope :/ And a 580 is still decent in my opinion.

But I must admit that 600 series was launched way earlier than any of the GCN 1.1 cards so the backwards compatibility is bigger.

I don't see why they can't support the 1.0 cards fully, the 1.1 update is not that big (lower power consumption, Trueaudio, Crossfire XDMA thingy, more HSA stuff,...).

Anandtech has a good article about the changes in 1.1 ;)

I do understand what you want to say with the R-series and so on though, making it more complicated than it should be.

But is AMD ready to launch "Free-Sync" right now? Don't think so. (And I mean now, today, this moment)

I'm afraid we still have to wait till Q1 2015 at least to see enough monitors with it. (Is there actually a release date of a monitor?)

So...

Has any good reviewer tested a Free-Sync monitor? No. (and no, not the thing AMD showed at Computex, which is promising though)

Has any good reviewer tested a G-Sync monitor? Yes, almost every good reviewer has tested it. Is it good? Yes.  (Never used it myself so don't judge me on that one)

Will Free-sync be "the same" as G-sync? I do think so, but nobody has tested it yet.

Will it cost more than a "basic" monitor? G-sync does. Don't know about Free-sync but expect some price-increase.

Conclusion: JUST FREAKING WAIT TILL THE THING IS LAUNCHED!

i would not consider either gsync or freesync a reason to buy a certain gpu brand anymore.

both implementations are expensive, and as long as you run over 60 fps, it doesnt matter.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Don't want do get something started, but for G-Sync you need a 650Ti Boost or above...

Anyone with something like a 580... nope :/ And a 580 is still decent in my opinion.

But I must admit that 600 series was launched way earlier than any of the GCN 1.1 cards so the backwards compatibility is bigger.

I don't see why they can't support the 1.0 cards fully, the 1.1 update is not that big (lower power consumption, Trueaudio, Crossfire XDMA thingy, more HSA stuff,...).

Anandtech has a good article about the changes in 1.1 ;)

I do understand what you want to say with the R-series and so on though, making it more complicated than it should be.

But is AMD ready to launch "Free-Sync" right now? Don't think so. (And I mean now, today, this moment)

I'm afraid we still have to wait till Q1 2015 at least to see enough monitors with it. (Is there actually a release date of a monitor?)

So...

Has any good reviewer tested a Free-Sync monitor? No. (and no, not the thing AMD showed at Computex, which is promising though)

Has any good reviewer tested a G-Sync monitor? Yes, almost every good reviewer has tested it. Is it good? Yes.  (Never used it myself so don't judge me on that one)

Will Free-sync be "the same" as G-sync? I do think so, but nobody has tested it yet.

Will it cost more than a "basic" monitor? G-sync does. Don't know about Free-sync but expect some price-increase.

Conclusion: JUST FREAKING WAIT TILL THE THING IS LAUNCHED!

Exactly.

Fair enough, though i don't think it's a marketing strategy.

Any time you have a company rep in an interview it is a marketing opportunity ;)

TressFX isn't even proprietary

Even if FreeSync wont be free it still will cost so much less than buying a G-Sync monitor(since the support is in the DP and not an other card) and will work with every card with the new dp support and nut just with a few cards like at G-Sync imo

Even if FreeSync wont be free it still will cost so much less than buying a G-Sync monitor(since the support is in the DP and not an other card) and will work with every card with the new dp support and nut just with a few cards like at G-Sync imo

Sorry but you're wrong. Read the thread.

We don't know how much monitors with it will cost (it will probably be pretty similar to the price premium of G-Sync monitors) and not all cards will support it (we have not heard from Intel or Nvidia regarding it, and AMD support is kind of a mixed bag).

It's too early to say how it will play out.

I agree with the first part but disagree with the second part.

G-Sync monitors also comes with support for LightBoost which is a big plus. The new scalers will probably also have ~512MB of RAM in them. Even the scalers we use in monitors right now has DRAM in them for things like overdrive (if I remember correctly).

AMD have said that they are working with monitor manufacturers. I don't see any reason to distrust them on that. It's good for them if manufacturers don't use G-Sync.

G-sync also has 3D Vision enhancements as well as an On Screen Display.

GEFORCE-G-SYNC-Performance_Chart.jpg

RTX2070OC 

Any time you have a company rep in an interview it is a marketing opportunity ;)

Opportunity and actually taking the opportunity are 2 different things entirely. ;)

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

We don't know how much monitors with it will cost (it will probably be pretty similar to the price premium of G-Sync monitors) and not all cards will support it (we have not heard from Intel or Nvidia regarding it, and AMD support is kind of a mixed bag).

I'll wait. And if anything, I'll be more likely getting a 3440x1440p monitor by the time this is a relevant discussion, which probably won't even benefit from either Syncs unless AMD's implementation is easier to implement on more monitors. And even then, I don't expect it on higher resolution IPS monitors (Such as the AOC 21:9).

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

5 pages and the OP still is formatted like that, bah I'm out.

All panels support variable dynamic refresh rate, in monitors, the problem is the scaler. In adaptive sync, only the scaler needs to be upgraded to support it. No added 750MB buffer or proprietary scaler chip with over complicated two handshake communication.

Nvidia swapped the monitors Scaler with Gsync and Gsync doesnt have a hardware scaler. Like I said the scaler for DP1.2a will have a limited dynamic refresh rate (its 50-60Hz on EDP laptops), maybe 40-60 on DP1.2A hence why AMD didnt have the balls to show the refresh rate on their presentation. It's so obvious it's farrrrrrr from finished. You need an ASIC chip to have a wide range of dynamic refresh rate, there's no other solution or nvidia would have done this that's quite obvious.

AMD has never claimed Freesync only needed a software upgrade. Source please? AMD pitched the Adaptive Sync standard for VESA to adopt.

Calling it Freesync isnt enough evidence? Like I said above, VESA AC & AMD Freesync are two different things. Freesync only uses a few features of VESA AC, to have 0-144Hz orsomething you need an ASIC chip and this chip will never be standard on any DP1.2a 80$ monitor. Freesync will be an option just like Gsync with an extra cost and you will pay more for it than a regular monitor with vesa ac. AMD isn't offering anything free.

They brainwashed people nicely making people think vesa ac is the same as freesync and we know vesa stuff are always standard making people think its free and they even came up with a firmware update would support it.

AMD is working with the scaler manufacturers to implement free sync capable tech, and help them with Adaptive Sync implementation.

Monitor manufacturers don't need AMD's help at all for Vesa Adaptive Sync and why would they need AMD for it but they do need AMD's help for Freesync.

Nvidia developed their scaler with Asus.

First it's not a scaler and second Asus is only useful for supplying monitors.

seems i was wrong :P

im courious how it will turn out :P