FreeSync FAQ Released - pretty disappointing

exyia

*Sigh*. I do not expect them to open source their drivers, and that is not what I was saying. It was a sarcastic response to you continually claiming that 'freesync' can *only* work with AMD hardware. That's true for now, only because AMD is the only one that's implemented it so far, but other hardware manufacturers could absolutely have a fully freesync compatible implementation without having to pay any licensing/royalties to AMD because there's no proprietary hardware module involved.

I am glad you agree, but I would not have to continually claim it, if people understood what it was from the beginning rather than argue.  If people new to this thread go back and read the last 8 pages (and links) we can avoid having this discussion again.   

The only Issue I have is that there is no other GPU manufacturer who can/will take advantage of adaptive sync.  what that equates to in reality is anybodies guess, but currently Nvidia don't appear to be interested and INtel don't make gaming GPU's.  Which leaves the standard only being utilised by one company.    G-sync as far as I am concerned will always be proprietary and closed,  so even though AS is going to be there and other companies could then manufacture GPUs that have dynamic frame rates without requiring proprietary hardware,  who will?

This is why I say the term freesync is misnomer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I am glad you agree, but I would not have to continually claim it, if people understood what it was from the beginning rather than argue.  If people new to this thread go back and read the last 8 pages (and links) we can avoid having this discussion again.   

The only Issue I have is that there is no other GPU manufacturer who can/will take advantage of adaptive sync.  what that equates to in reality is anybodies guess, but currently Nvidia don't appear to be interested and INtel don't make gaming GPU's.  Which leaves the standard only being utilised by one company.    G-sync as far as I am concerned will always be proprietary and closed,  so even though AS is going to be there and other companies could then manufacture GPUs that have dynamic frame rates without requiring proprietary hardware,  who will?

This is why I say the term freesync is misnomer.

Yeah, I'm not going to disagree that the freesync name is awful and confusing :) It was ok as a novel little codename, but the fact that they are marketing with this name is too misleading and causing a lot of confusion.

It would be nice if there was one technology that both AMD and Nvidia used for this, the fragmentation does hurt the consumer in the end. (hell, I'm one of the people that is hurt by it. before gsync and freesync were even announced, I had just purchased an AMD 280x, and a new Asus VG248QE monitor, leaving me with a monitor that can be upgraded to use gsync, and a perfectly good card that I won't be replacing anytime soon that doesn't support either of them!).

The thing is, both Nvidia and AMD are to blame for this fragmentation. It is very understandable that AMD would not want to use gsync, since its fully under their direct competitor's control... While technically AMD is the one that came in with a competing technology and fragmented the market, Nvidia is just as much to blame since they implemented gsync in a way that AMD would obviously not be willing to adopt, since its fully proprietary and fully nvidia controlled. Nvidia knew exactly what they were doing here, and they benefit from the fragmentation. they wanted to corner the early adopter market, and lock these early adopters into nvidia upgrade paths.

Neither nvidia, nor amd are saints in this scenario.

Yeah, I'm not going to disagree that the freesync name is awful and confusing :) It was ok as a novel little codename, but the fact that they are marketing with this name is too misleading and causing a lot of confusion.

It would be nice if there was one technology that both AMD and Nvidia used for this, the fragmentation does hurt the consumer in the end. (hell, I'm one of the people that is hurt by it. before gsync and freesync were even announced, I had just purchased an AMD 280x, and a new Asus VG248QE monitor, leaving me with a monitor that can be upgraded to use gsync, and a perfectly good card that I won't be replacing anytime soon that doesn't support either of them!).

The thing is, both Nvidia and AMD are to blame for this fragmentation. It is very understandable that AMD would not want to use gsync, since its fully under their direct competitor's control... While technically AMD is the one that came in with a competing technology and fragmented the market, Nvidia is just as much to blame since they implemented gsync in a way that AMD would obviously not be willing to adopt, since its fully proprietary and fully nvidia controlled. Nvidia knew exactly what they were doing here, and they benefit from the fragmentation. they wanted to corner the early adopter market, and lock these early adopters into nvidia upgrade paths.

Neither nvidia, nor amd are saints in this scenario.

I have a GTX 570 so my next upgrade is either going to be without either of the sync technologies or not only am I going to have to wait until hey are both settled to decide but I will have to get  anew monitor too.  fortunately even the old 570 still is good enough to enjoy the games I play. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I somehow ended up on a 6 month post about almost an exact same topic, so I may show information based of that. 

From what iv'e seen AMD doesn't jump forward on anything. They wait till they are challenged (Free Sync, Intel putting extremly high end iGPU's in there CPU's (Gen 3 I believe), which where released about the same time as APU's?). The one exception being mantle.

I have family who are majoring in Marketing, and they admit a common ploy to get people who are unexpiranced in the field (no matter what the field is.) is to use higher/ different characters. Like ohh 8500 on Team X's Side vs 4900 on Team Z's side. Same for APU vs CPU.

The same scaling is the same on both TitanZ, and 295x2. Difference is TitanZ is heavily a development card... Marketed as a gaming card. 

The naming of Free- Sync was probably because it is royalty "free"... And to stir up some fan boys, which inturn generate Hype, and Fanboys usually spam forums/ YouTube comments saying Ohh #ProductXMasterRace! #ProductZSux or something (Basing that off of South Park because its late and i'm tired)... And because it has "Free" in it's name, that could result in people who are on a low budget, and see it called free sync and be amazed because it offers "The same thing Nvidia offers in Gsync for less". 

I am tired, and reading through this I sound stupid. I think I got a decent point across. I have a few points I deferentially forgot too add in. I will add them in later.

Probably sound like an Anti AMD fanboy... Sorry. 

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I somehow ended up on a 6 month post about almost an exact same topic, so I may show information based of that. 

From what iv'e seen AMD doesn't jump forward on anything. They wait till they are challenged (Free Sync, Intel putting extremly high end iGPU's in there CPU's (Gen 3 I believe), which where released about the same time as APU's?). The one exception being mantle.

AMD had these APU's on their roadmap ever since they purchased ATI back in 2006, probably even before that (since this was one of the reasons they purchased ATI).

I have family who are majoring in Marketing, and they admit a common ploy to get people who are unexpiranced in the field (no matter what the field is.) is to use higher/ different characters. Like ohh 8500 on Team X's Side vs 4900 on Team Z's side. Same for APU vs CPU.

The same scaling is the same on both TitanZ, and 295x2. Difference is TitanZ is heavily a development card... Marketed as a gaming card. 

The naming of Free- Sync was probably because it is royalty "free"... And to stir up some fan boys, which inturn generate Hype, and Fanboys usually spam forums/ YouTube comments saying Ohh #ProductXMasterRace! #ProductZSux or something (Basing that off of South Park because its late and i'm tired)... And because it has "Free" in it's name, that could result in people who are on a low budget, and see it called free sync and be amazed because it offers "The same thing Nvidia offers in Gsync for less". 

I am tired, and reading through this I sound stupid. I think I got a decent point across. I have a few points I deferentially forgot too add in. I will add them in later.

Probably sound like an Anti AMD fanboy... Sorry. 

AMD do move forward and have been industry leaders, it's just over the last decade they have been severely hamstrung with financial woes and intel issues.  I think they will come back, unfortunately they are facing an uphill battle on the cpu front,  even intel haven't been able to produce faster processors of late, just more efficient ones, so how are AMD going to get in front when their opposition with significantly more R+D resources can't?