Silent Power PC Uses Copper "Foam" Heatsink? [Gizmag]

http://www.gizmag.com/silent-power-pc-passive-cooling/33145/

silentpower.png

The Silent Power PC is claimed to be the first high-end PC able to ditch noisy electric fans in favor of fully passive cooling. In place of a conventional fan, the unit uses an open-air metal foam heatsink that boasts an enormous surface area thanks to the open-weave filaments of copper of which it is composed. The Silent Power creators claim that the circulation of air through the foam is so efficient in dissipating heat that the exterior surface temperature never rises above 50° C (122° F) in normal use

[...]

The real innovation is in the cooling system. A copper base, which is in direct contact with the CPU and GPU via thermal paste, forms the top of the chassis and absorbs heat and releases it evenly to the copper foam on top. In this way, the Silent Power PC’s heat dissipation is claimed to be 500 times greater than that offered by conventional fin-type heatsink systems and is more than sufficient to maintain adequately low operating temperatures. The design also features a reverse-layout compared to normal PCs – the CPU and GPU are on the top of the stack, rather than in the bottom of the case – to aid in heat dissipation.

Dang. That's... interesting. We always talk about surface area in a heatsink, and I guess these designers just said, "screw it, let's add as much surface areas as humanly possible."

I, for one, wonder how airflow works through this. How restrictive is it? 

Also, this looks SUPER ugly. 

What are your thoughts?

Edit: Also, the dust buildup would be insane. How could you clean it?

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

It makes sense, and I'd image it would work rather well if they can get enough airflow through it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wouldn't foam just be melted?

Also, looks like a chia-pet gardengrass-ottoman550x385.jpg

Diamond 5 in League :)

the issue with "passive" cooling is that you still need case fans blowing air on it soooooo it is pointless

the issue with "passive" cooling is that you still need case fans blowing air on it soooooo it is pointless

Not really. The way passive cooling works is that the heatsink heats the air, which moves up due to convection & fluid dynamics. It creates it's own flow. It'd just have to be epic cooling with tons of surface area.... like they have here.

Actually i like it^^

would be very interesting to see real performance on that thing.. but yeah, except ugly looks and probably not beeing as stable as usual heatsinks, it should bring quite a bit better cooling performance...

Since it's passive, you could probably put a housing over it with air ducts to allow air to flow in, thus hiding it's ugliness, while also protecting it's fragility.

GENIUS

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Not really. The way passive cooling works is that the heatsink heats the air, which moves up due to convection & fluid dynamics. It creates it's own flow. It'd just have to be epic cooling with tons of surface area.... like they have here.

Since it's passive, you could probably put a housing over it with air ducts to allow air to flow in, thus hiding it's ugliness, while also protecting it's fragility.

GENIUS

true, but that is very dependent on the case for inlet and exhaust. for example it would work well in the shell of a mac pro as it pulls cold air from the bottom and lets it out the top but most computer cases aren't very good for air flow

true, but that is very dependent on the case for inlet and exhaust. for example it would work well in the shell of a mac pro as it pulls cold air from the bottom and lets it out the top but most computer cases aren't very good for air flow

... Sound proof cases are. NZXT H440 is a good example. The only air holes are at the top, bottom, front & back.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Wouldn't foam just be melted?

Also, looks like a chia-pet gardengrass-ottoman550x385.jpg

i want to pet it

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

enhanced-buzz-24937-1367434094-26.jpg

That computer would even get beat up by a Wii U. Interesting concept none the less

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

What about dust? That will be impossible to clean and i don't think compressed air will be enough.

Well IF you can take it out of the system a run through the dish washer will take care of it. Keyword being if.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Sounds interesting but it also sounds incredibly expensive. I wonder if you could use this idea and miniaturize it to the nanoscale for heatsinks. So find a way of growing a material in the form of a sponge but it still makes up fins like you have on the conventional heatsink. That way we could still have quite units that perform so much better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

afroPC

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

I remember hearing about this copper foam being experimented with on CPU water blocks a while ago. Any one else remember that?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Noisy electric fans. Ever heard the name "Noctua"? 

50C in "normal" use is high... my 4770k with a stock intel heatsink with the fan manually turned down to an inaudible speed never reached 50C in "normal" use...

so instead of this, get any decent cpu cooler (something for 20-30 bucks will do), turn down the fan speed, and you'll have silence and you'll have headroom for when you wanna do something more than surf the web

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

50C in "normal" use is high... my 4770k with a stock intel heatsink with the fan manually turned down to an inaudible speed never reached 50C in "normal" use...

so instead of this, get any decent cpu cooler (something for 20-30 bucks will do), turn down the fan speed, and you'll have silence and you'll have headroom for when you wanna do something more than surf the web

It does say exterior surface temp rather than chipset temps

Interesting. Now put it in a turbine. k go

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

So basically steel wool? Except copper

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

It does say exterior surface temp rather than chipset temps

oh... oops...

I guess thats what I get for just skimming through...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Put one big fan (think 300mm or more that runs at like 500rpm) at the bottom blowing up into the case to get air moving around the components and finally through the passive heatsink so it is just BARELY audible and it would probably cool pretty good actually

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

You realize that this isn't a heatsink, right?

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

That actually seems really decent and not even overpriced, though I doubt it's upgradable other than storage and maybe RAM. Still, its price is pretty similar to the PC I just built with the same GPU and a CPU that... well, I don't know exactly how to compare between all the Intel CPU designations, does the T at the end mean something? I have a 3rd gen i5 while this has a 4th gen i7, but it could be like a low-end i7 of some sort. Either way, it probably gets throttled like mad.

Assuming it actually works at all.