Apple gives Retina MacBook Pros a speed boost ahead of Yosemite rollout

Dietrichw

Source

overview_hero.jpg

After rumors surfaced yesterday about an incoming MacBook Pro refresh, Apple's store went down earlier today, and now, hey presto! New MacBook Pros. The updated models haven't changed significantly, but look to be better equipped to handle the next version of OS X due in the fall, Yosemite. All 15-inch MacBook Pro Retinas now have 16GB of RAM standard instead of 8GB, and the priciest model now has an optional 1TB PCIe-based SSD. The larger Retina models were also bumped by 200Mhz to the latest 4th Core-i7 CPUs, with the top-liner getting a Core i7-4980HQ which hits the magical 4.0GHz mark. Surprisingly, Apple has stuck with NVIDIA's GeForce GT-750M for its top model with discrete graphics rather than updating to the latest GeForce GT800M series. The upside, however, is that the price for that model has dropped by $100 to $2,499

The 13-inch models, meanwhile also got memory and speed boosts. The minimum amount of memory now available on the entry level 13-inch MacBook Pro has doubled to 8GB, and all 13-inch models also got a 200MHz CPU speed bump. Despite the performance tweaks, Apple has kept the same pricing across the board, apart from the aforementioned discrete graphics model.

cool, except for the 750m? why not also update to a 800m card?

They have to save something for the next update. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

that is pretty obvious.

With a GPU upgrade they most likely would have to redesign the motherboard.

With the next generation of Intel processor we will see some new gpus as well ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

The GT-750M is perfectly capable of anything you would want to do on your Mac as well, even light gaming. I've only thrown WoW after mine because I had to raid on the go and it handled it just fine.

the 13" retina pro is now only £999 in the UK with a base spec of 16gb ram too!

Thats is a pretty phenomenal price if you ask me

do want

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Well, this time I really can't hate. Not going to buy it, but it's a nice update to do, considering the price of those things.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

no update to the mac mini, cmon apple my old man needs a new living room machine

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

13-inch:

- $1299: 2.6 GHz dual-core i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, 128GB of flash storage

- $1499: 2.6 GHz dual-core i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, 256GB of flash storage

- $1799: 2.8 GHz dual-core i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, 512GB of flash storage

15-inch:

- $1999: 2.2 GHz quad-core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 256GB of flash storage

- $2599: 2.5 GHz quad-core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, 512GB of flash storage

Source: http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/29/updated-retina-macbook-pro-faster-haswell-more-ram/

giphy.gif

About damn time!

it's a repost

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

repost

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

damn. the new pros have 9 and 8 hour battery life, which is still shorter than the Macbook Airs, but still pretty awesome.

My sister is buying a new macbook for school, so she'll be happy to see this.

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

no update to the mac mini, cmon apple my old man needs a new living room machine

you can always Hackintosh a Gigabyte BRIX Pro

I just grabbed a 13" retina with the 2.6GHz i5, 8GB ram and 256 SSD! :D Quite excited as this will be my first mac.

4bqliYX.png

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

In before 12 year olds start saying its still overpriced and how a 600 dollar plastic fantastic Acer is a better buy. 

yea, kids don't understand quality and reliability.

My 2011 Mac Mini has never crashed and it is just there for reliable work, and it looks nice

My 2011 Mac Mini has never crashed and it is just there for reliable work, and it looks nice

and once it gets 2 or 3 years old you can sell it for $500+

If only they would lower the flash prices ...

200€ more for 256GB instead of 128GB

500€ more for 512GB instead of 128GB (+slightly faster cpu)

is imho too much considering I just bought a 512GB SSD for 175€ ...

and once it gets 2 or 3 years old you can sell it for $500+

I probably could sell my 2012 Macbook Air for €900 right now, even though I only paid like €1150 (was a pretty awesome deal)

If only they would lower the flash prices ...

200€ more for 256GB instead of 128GB

500€ more for 512GB instead of 128GB (+slightly faster cpu)

is imho too much considering I just bought a 512GB SSD for 175€ ...

it's also PCIE-based flash memory, which tends to get better performance than SATA ssd's

My 17" is 4 years old. 2.4 Ghz i7-2760QM, 16GB of 1333 DDR3, 1GB 6770m, 1 750GB HDD and 1 480GB SSD, 1920x1200 anti glare display all for a horrifying 2500 dollars. 

Spending 2500 on anything PC related is stupid for 99.999999% of the population. 2500 on a laptop is stupid. 2500 on a PC is stupid. Its well beyond what MOST people need. 

But I wasn't most. I needed a genuine desktop replacement for rendering. Something that gave me as much power as possible in as mobile a chassis as possible. These 17s are tanks. Very, very few companies ever build to this level, this is just how things go. You pay a premium for excellent design and build quality and then you pay more for high numbered specs and then you pay the lovely Apple Tax. Except the Apple tax kinda falls apart at those prices because almost everything that has the same specs is close in price anyways. 

I've gotten 4 strong years out of this, and it still goes hard. I have little motivation to upgrade because nothing about this computer is slow or outdated at all. 

I think I got my moneys worth and then some, several times over. So yea, call me a Apple fanboy but I drunk their koolaid once and it tasted amazing. Would I do it again? Probably. But not till this thing actually dies. Which, given the abuse its had and how long its lasted, might be a few more years. 

Was gonna say, I bought the maxed out 15" MBPr around the first week of July. No way in Hell did a new, faster Intel mobile chip come out without my knowing it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Only 8GB in the 13"??? Really Apple?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Only 8GB in the 13"??? Really Apple?

Why would you need more? Also, I think it's upgradable. At least desktop macs are

My 17" is 4 years old. 2.4 Ghz i7-2760QM, 16GB of 1333 DDR3, 1GB 6770m, 1 750GB HDD and 1 480GB SSD, 1920x1200 anti glare display all for a horrifying 2500 dollars. 

Spending 2500 on anything PC related is stupid for 99.999999% of the population. 2500 on a laptop is stupid. 2500 on a PC is stupid. Its well beyond what MOST people need. 

But I wasn't most. I needed a genuine desktop replacement for rendering. Something that gave me as much power as possible in as mobile a chassis as possible. These 17s are tanks. Very, very few companies ever build to this level, this is just how things go. You pay a premium for excellent design and build quality and then you pay more for high numbered specs and then you pay the lovely Apple Tax. Except the Apple tax kinda falls apart at those prices because almost everything that has the same specs is close in price anyways. 

I've gotten 4 strong years out of this, and it still goes hard. I have little motivation to upgrade because nothing about this computer is slow or outdated at all. 

I think I got my moneys worth and then some, several times over. So yea, call me a Apple fanboy but I drunk their koolaid once and it tasted amazing. Would I do it again? Probably. But not till this thing actually dies. Which, given the abuse its had and how long its lasted, might be a few more years. 

And I think Apple is waiting to bring back 17" models until they can get a 4K panel on it.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

And I think Apple is waiting to bring back 17" models until they can get a 4K panel on it.

I'll keep waiting for that. 

I still do all my work on the go, pumping a few grand into a workstation at home just makes little sense right now when I'm on the go 99% of the time I'm actually working. 

Im one of those 0.00000001% of the "professionals" (I'll use that term loosely since I'm even not that hardcore) who actually use and abuse and make a case for having powerful, 17" laptops like this.