Rant about people using homophobic slurs

APrettyCoolWalrus

People use the words they use. If it bothers you that much, you need to reevaluate some things.

I use a lot of offensive words. I don't feel sorry doing so either, because at the end of the day, I don't mean what I am saying.

You can't control everyone. It's not your job. For all of the faults that they have, I am guaranteed that you have faults of your own which match or exceed the severity of theirs in the eyes of others.

I admit it, I occasionally use the word "gay" to describe something that is bad/stupid/unwelcome. This doesn't mean I think homosexuals are bad/stupid/unwelcome. F*ck, some of my best friends are homosexuals. It's just a shitty societal norm. It was something I picked up from my friends and continued using. 

My message? Don't make assumptions and look down on people because of the words they use, when for all you know, they don't mean anything of what they are saying. You getting bothered by this is like me getting mad and bothered over someone ending my killstreak in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. It's absolutely pointless and the only person that will have time wasted thinking about this is you.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

despise people who use words such as "fag" whenever they die on a video game because it shows that they have no skill, no intelligence, no vocabulary, and that they are awful people. These assholes are 20 years behind current culture. I want them all to either put 70 layers of duct tape over their mouths or to ship them away where their ignorance can't touch us. It's a shame that there are these types of people in every game community. Battlefield, DOTA 2, CS:GO, and everything else.

Newsflash: people don't use these terms to intentionally insult you as a homosexual person anymore. They have become words that carry nothing other than the intent of a basic insult. Get over it.

Whilst I share your dislike for people screaming whatever "offensive" remark that comes to them when losing in something as trivial as a video game; I disagree that using bad language which has the potential to offend some people automatically makes you unintelligent, a bad person or demonstrates a lack of vocabulary. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

I agree. And people use it in their normal language now. EVIL!!!

post-11076-0-05085300-1406165509.gif

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I think OP needs tougher skin... Besides fag doesn't is barely even a homophobic slur at this point. The meanings of words change constantly, and this word is changing to mean asshole. (I don't say it, just saying)

Good point.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.  Been meaning to make a post like this...  YOU ARE ALSO MY NEW FAV PERSON!

At least on the forum.

Newsflash: people don't use these terms to intentionally insult you as a homosexual person anymore. They have become words that carry nothing other than the intent of a basic insult. Get over it.

With that profile picture, I wouldn't take what you said seriously, especially when you start off with "newsflash".  Be respectful..  

I agree. I just yell fuck or asshole or something like that.

:D

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

With that profile picture, I wouldn't take what you said seriously, especially when you start off with "newsflash". Be respectful..

I'm being 100% serious. No 16 year old yelling at someone on Xbox Live is saying those words to consciously insult homosexual people. It's just a basic insult, it has no significant meaning behind it. If I call someone an asshole I don't literally mean that they are an asshole.

I'm being 100% serious. No 16 year old yelling at someone on Xbox Live is saying those words to consciously insult homosexual people. It's just a basic insult, it has no significant meaning behind it. If I call someone an asshole I don't literally mean that they are an asshole.

Nice name, I remember listening to that song.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Maybe you should start a campaign or internet meme to counter the lost positive. 

Form now on anyone who seriously wants to insult someone should use heterosexual terms in a derogatory way. 

Or start referring to awesome things as gay, woofterish or faggolicious.

I.E man, that new GPU from AMD/Nvidia is so faggoliciousness it's over 9000.  I want one.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I think society as a whole has become ultra sensitive and way to politically correct. Dont get me wrong, when words are used as hate words or racial bigotry they take on a whole new meaning. I guess its all in context. I grew up using the word fag and it was equivalent to calling my buddy a Geek or loser. "Pfft shut up fag" in that sense. Doesnt make me a bigot or uneducated. The body language and tone shows the true intentions of a word imo

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Yeah, you are right.  That is still a problem tho...  And my point stands...  Be respectful and and talk to people in a polite way...

Guys we can't just use the "Oh they're kids they don't know better" excuse to look away. Remember that behind at least one of those kids (probably a lot) there's definitely a full grown, adult bigot that's actually meaning it as a hateful comment in full conscience and their kids are learning that it's ok unless we say "No, it isn't ok, not even as a joke"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Stupidityis behind all inefficiencies.

Intelligence is cure to all.

It is often that 2 sapient beings arrive to the same correct answer. but not to the same wrong answer

And that answer is beneficial.

If it wasn't for Universal Morality Balance, Relative morals would utilitar the shit out of noobs.

Actually, that is to come.

Just a bunch of noobs who can't help their estime and actualize their incompetence, too abd that's actually required to complete the below level.

Forerver noobs.

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.

Guys we can't just use the "Oh they're kids they don't know better" excuse to look away. Remember that behind at least one of those kids (probably a lot) there's definitely a full grown, adult bigot that's actually meaning it as a hateful comment in full conscience and their kids are learning that it's ok unless we say "No, it isn't ok, not even as a joke"

Yeah I don't know why people still think it's okay to use homophobic and/or racist terms as "jokes".

There are tons of non homophobic, non-sexist, non-racist insults. Why can't we just go back to calling people fuckers like the good old days?

Someone brought up "Oh well you shouldn't use insults at all then". What kind of straw-man argument is that? Yeah okay in a perfect society a perfect person wouldn't use any insults at all, but there IS something called severity of offense. Calling someone an asshole or a jerk is a LOT different from calling someone a "fag" or a "camel jockey". The world is not black and white, and neither is the human vocabulary. There are acceptable insults, and then there are insults which should never be used.

I freely admit that when I was younger I used homophobic insults, but then I started to realize that "words" can have a significantly larger impact on a person then people think. Sometimes even violence against another is less traumatic. Not everyone has thick skin, and just because you don't have thick skin doesn't mean you should have to put up with little asshats throwing all kinds of swearing at you. People will counter saying "That's XBox Live, they should know better", well I say to that: what a sad state humanity is in then if that's the case.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

-snip-

I don't care if you're joking or not, but that's unacceptable. You've crossed the line from using the word only in the context of this discussion to using it to label another forum member. And if you're trying to be "funny" by using one of the non-modern definitions (a bundle of sticks, for example), then you damn well better state so.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

-snip-

Man, this was so much funnier than the 300000000000 times I've heard it before. I just could not stop laughing.

I don't care if you're joking or not, but that's unacceptable. You've crossed the line from using the word only in the context of this discussion to using it to label another forum member. And if you're trying to be "funny" by using one of the non-modern definitions (a bundle of sticks, for example), then you damn well better state so.

I really don't understand why you care so much about this. It's just some words on the internet. 

Man, this was so much funnier than the 300000000000 times I've heard it before. I just could not stop laughing.

I really don't understand why you care so much about this. It's just some words on the internet. 

Why do I care? Because I see people growing up to become insensitive assholes who don't care what they say or whom they say it to. And part of the problem is because they think it's "OK" to say hateful things like calling someone a faggot. "Words on the Internet" doesn't mean jack shit. Take responsibility for how you act, simple as that. As if being on the internet somehow makes it okay to act like a horrible person. The worst part is, a lot of people who talk like that online also talk like that in person.

It may not hurt you. You may have gay friends so it's "OK"... but it's really not. Those words have power, whether you like it or not.

Why do I care? Because I see people growing up to become insensitive assholes who don't care what they say or whom they say it to. And part of the problem is because they think it's "OK" to say hateful things like calling someone a faggot. "Words on the Internet" doesn't mean jack shit. Take responsibility for how you act, simple as that. As if being on the internet somehow makes it okay to act like a horrible person. The worst part is, a lot of people who talk like that online also talk like that in person.

It may not hurt you. You may have gay friends so it's "OK"... but it's really not. Those words have power, whether you like it or not.

Words have power that is true, but when the context of those things are understood it's not a big deal, that is how language works. I am very pro LGBT (obviously) and those words are hurtful when used to hurt, but when used in a different context it's different and it's understood.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

When I call people a fag I don't say it because i am homophobic, I say it because it is a word that hurts more than most insults when you say it. The word lost all of it actual meaning

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

The logic going through someone's head when saying dumb stuff like that is "lol I'm so funny. look at all of these memes". As long as they're not using it to bash gay people, it's harmless.

I don't have any gay friends, but I have sex with men sometimes. My opinions aren't everyone's, but I feel like demonizing words like this is doing more harm than good. If it's just used casually often, it loses a lot of its impact.

OP is a fag.

Man, you're not even the first one to use that overused joke. Good job.

When I call people a fag I don't say it because i am homophobic, I say it because it is a word that hurts more than most insults when you say it. The word lost all of it actual meaning

I can assure you that calling someone a fag on the internet will not hurt them more than any other single word insult. zero is not greater than zero.

Think about it for a second. When someone shouts "FUCK!" do you think they are meaning "SEX!"?

Not really. Same thing with gay and fag. Most insults/cuss words do not make sense if you look at it.

Old shit no one cares about but me.