Rant about people using homophobic slurs

APrettyCoolWalrus

I don't care if you're joking or not, but that's unacceptable. You've crossed the line from using the word only in the context of this discussion to using it to label another forum member. And if you're trying to be "funny" by using one of the non-modern definitions (a bundle of sticks, for example), then you damn well better state so.

It's common internet slang directed at OP causing his post to be ironic. :/

Man, this was so much funnier than the 300000000000 times I've heard it before. I just could not stop laughing.

Good for you?

The logic going through someone's head when saying dumb stuff like that is "lol I'm so funny. look at all of these memes". As long as they're not using it to bash gay people, it's harmless.

I don't have any gay friends, but I have sex with men sometimes. My opinions aren't everyone's, but I feel like demonizing words like this is doing more harm than good. If it's just used casually often, it loses a lot of its impact.

Man, you're not even the first one to use that overused joke. Good job.

I can assure you that calling someone a fag on the internet will not hurt them more than any other single word insult. zero is not greater than zero.

Who said I was talking about the internet? I meant about saying it to someone's face irl. Faggot is way more insulting than any word I can think of

Song Of The Day: Nujabes - Battlecry

Who said I was talking about the internet? I meant about saying it to someone's face irl. Faggot is way more insulting than any word I can think of

You must not be thinking very hard.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

Agreed, it is an obsolete social standing. Those still attempting to perpetuate this kind of thing only succeed in demonstrating their own deficit of intelligence.

A clever way of saying ignorant, however I posit a question to thee,

what, pray tell, are they ignorant of?

If you wan't to say such things are hurtful, then say it. But don't called someone ignorant (ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge about something), when that word is the wrong word to use.

I for one do not use "homophobic slurs", although I do not agree with certain aspects of said life style, but not for any moral or religious reasons.

One thing I would say, is that if one wants "equality" one must be willing to accept and understand that there are those who disagree with you and or the way you live. You must be willing to be equally respected, as well as equally mocked of made fun of. In our society, everyone is given the right of free speech, and this extends to your disagreement with my statements, as well as my disagreement with your disagreement, so on and so forth.

Equality does not entail any type of protection or special rights, which is exactly what has been growing within our society for certain "minorities" (yet another term that is antithetical to the idea of equality). If you want to be considered equal, then you must be willing to accept the good with the bad.

And please don't call me ignorant, doing so only shows your ignorance of the meaning of the word ignorant (which is defined, yet again, as a lack of knowledge)

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

A clever way of saying ignorant, however I posit a question to thee,

what, pray tell, are they ignorant of?

If you wan't to say such things are hurtful, then say it. But don't called someone ignorant (ignorance is defined as a lack of knowledge about something), when that word is the wrong word to use.

Thank you :) A valid question indeed. My particular application of ignorance in this context was not towards the understanding of the word itself but instead the possible side effects caused by the use of it.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

I just kinda ignore it and when i do say its cause im really

Mad and i do t really mean it as a derogatory term, it to me fells like a replacement for ass hole or douche bag

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Oh and in my school fag was given to the acronym female ass grabber so yeah

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

I rarely hear it used at all anymore. Even if it shouldn't offend someone though, it still may. I just avoid it all together. Although you certainly don't need to get your panties in a bunch over it. 

I just think it's funny when straight people decide that they get to determine whats offensive to gays. We don't need to be so hyper sensitive to these things. Making someone feel like an asshole over what they said makes you just as much of an asshole. 

Thank you :) A valid question indeed. My particular application of ignorance in this context was not towards the understanding of the word itself but instead the possible side effects caused by the use of it.

As I said if there is a side effect after someone shouting "sensitive" word at his damn video game than most likely the side effected person have bigger problems than the one shouting at his monitor.

I really really couldn't care less, I'm not gay so I can't be offended. I'm just a firm believer in the saying "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

Those are the words of someone who has never been hurt by words....

Did you never had a bad break up ? Were you never bullied ?

Think about what you just said and remember all those times you've actually been hurt by words.

Sure, words can be hurtful and they can cause some serious damage to people.

But at the end of the day, the way I think of it is they are just words, a simple combination of letters.

"Stick and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

Those are the words of someone who has never been hurt by words....

Did you never had a bad break up ? Were you never bullied ?

Think about what you just said and remember all those times you've actually been hurt by words.

I've never been bullied, But I don't get offended easily either. So what if someone calls you a fag? it really really doesn't matter, and yes I know some people are hurt by words, but if being called a fag hurts you, you seriously need to man up.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

need to man up.

Try again. We all have many words and expression to choose from.

We can choose to be as kind, as polite, and as hospitable as possible whenever there is no need to not be.

i think this topic is had its time and gone way out of hand!

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Try again. We all have many words and expression to choose from.

We can choose to be as kind, as polite, and as hospitable as possible whenever there is no need to not be.

Grow thicker skin then, you know what I mean.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Words have power that is true, but when the context of those things are understood it's not a big deal, that is how language works. I am very pro LGBT (obviously) and those words are hurtful when used to hurt, but when used in a different context it's different and it's understood.

Spot on, just because someone uses the word fag does not mean that they have disdain or hatred for gay people. The meaning of words change depending on the context they are used in. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Oh and in my school fag was given to the acronym female ass grabber so yeah

lol

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

op is a massive pidgeotto and may soon evolve into a pidgeot.

Words have power that is true, but when the context of those things are understood it's not a big deal, that is how language works. I am very pro LGBT (obviously) and those words are hurtful when used to hurt, but when used in a different context it's different and it's understood.

I wish everyone in the world understood that.

I think that's a sign you are bad at insulting people... or 12.

They're well aware of the hurt they cause, that's usually their intent.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

As a gay person myself I wouldn't say that it's directly offensive when used in certain contexts but it does get annoying very very quickly. If someone points at a gay person and goes "Hey look at that fag" however then it does become offensive and said person needs to be slapped with a metal hand covered in barbed wire.   

They're well aware of the hurt they cause, that's usually their intent.

I think its more the fact that they know that "fag/faggot" are perceived to be on a higher tear of offensiveness by many people and they are just trying to be as offensive as possible. 

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

As a gay person myself I wouldn't say that it's directly offensive when used in certain contexts but it does get annoying very very quickly. If someone points at a gay person and goes "Hey look at that fag" however then it does become offensive and said person needs to be slapped with a metal hand covered in barbed wire.   

Exacyly, the context in which the word is used is what makes those words and phrases offensive. 

Who doesn't curse when they're angry? But since when did "fag" replace "damn?"

Damn/Damnation/Damned/Damn you - As in to hell with you.

Curses are called curses for a reason, they where never intended as pleasant things.

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate