Germany may switch back to typewriters

Student

The germans are switching back. Because the NSA will not be able to hack a mechanic typewriter,...

I disagree.

Through listening devices, it may be possible to infer the message contents through the typing sound based on these factors:

• the sound "bias" that each key press makes -- every letter may have a slightly different tone which can be detected through computer algorithms analyzing the wave form
  • the time in between each key press -- some keys on a QWERTY keyboard are close, and some words have a more-even distribution of letters between the two hands
  • the fact that some letters in the English language (or any language for that matter) have a higher frequency, which eases the process of detecting which letters likely match up with the key press sound signature

Over time, through listening more and more, a computer algorithm can easily infer the message.

As for the type of listening device, there are many options:

• a good old "sound bug", which is a device planted
  • laser-based microphones which detect small vibrations that sound makes
  • parabolic microphone which collects sound over a wider area than a simple microphone, but can only be used in certain situations (not across the street like a laser microphone)

Please go back to the drawing board.  If you think you found something that's unhackable, you are probably wrong.

Typewriter master race

- no electricity needed

- great tactile feed back

- immediate print capability

- all metal construction

-No spellcheck

-Final drafts have to be handwritten as not to waste the ink ribbon

-By the way there's an ink ribbon

-Ink ribbon gets stuck, tangled, or breaks

-Old machines means hard-to-find parts for maintenance

I disagree.

Through listening devices, it may be possible to infer the message contents through the typing sound based on these factors:

• the sound "bias" that each key press makes -- every letter may have a slightly different tone which can be detected through computer algorithms analyzing the wave form
  • the time in between each key press -- some keys on a QWERTY keyboard are close, and some words have a more-even distribution of letters between the two hands
  • the fact that some letters in the English language (or any language for that matter) have a higher frequency, which eases the process of detecting which letters likely match up with the key press sound signature

Over time, through listening more and more, a computer algorithm can easily infer the message.

As for the type of listening device, there are many options:

• a good old "sound bug", which is a device planted
  • laser-based microphones which detect small vibrations that sound makes
  • parabolic microphone which collects sound over a wider area than a simple microphone, but can only be used in certain situations (not across the street like a laser microphone)

Please go back to the drawing board.  If you think you found something that's unhackable, you are probably wrong.

HAHAHAHA. All they'd have to do is put up a fan to drown the noise of the typewriter. Or have 20 typewriters in a room. Or have people talking or really any background noise that could mess with the 'micro frequencies of the English alphabet.'

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

How odd. 

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

Cherry MX Blue Typewriters I hope!

575f3b9bb67741d22c0f8ea87a4737c6_large.j

f6f475050010bbab7a8aaeec3f4fef3d_large.j

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

-No spellcheck

-Final drafts have to be handwritten as not to waste the ink ribbon

-By the way there's an ink ribbon

-Ink ribbon gets stuck, tangled, or breaks

-Old machines means hard-to-find parts for maintenance

HAHAHAHA. All they'd have to do is put up a fan to drown the noise of the typewriter. Or have 20 typewriters in a room. Or have people talking or really any background noise that could mess with the 'micro frequencies of the English alphabet.'

The Kepler mission is the mission to discover new planets in the tiniest slice of the space that is in our Milky Way galaxy.  The discovery of planets is tracked by analyzing the most micro of changes in the luminescence of a star's light as the planet which is millions of times smaller passes in front of it.  This is done with an instrument that is literally trillions of miles away.

So when it comes to tracking audio wave forms here on planet Earth, I think it's possible.  We have the technology. :P

The Kepler mission is the mission to discover new planets in the tiniest slice of the space that is in our Milky Way galaxy.  The discovery of planets is tracked by analyzing the most micro of changes in the luminescence of a star's light as the planet which is millions of times smaller passes in front of it.  This is done with an instrument that is literally trillions of miles away.

So when it comes to tracking audio wave forms here on planet Earth, I think it's possible.  We have the technology. :P

GTX 880 confirmed

Ryzen 7600X | MSI Trio X 3080 | 3440x1440p asus vg34vql1b | Antec HCG 850 | 1TB WD Blue SSD | 500GB Aorus Elite | Asus B650 Strix A

And what's the difference? I have never heard about people detecting the micro frequencies of a typewriter, if there is even a difference at all.

Besides they still get the planets wrong all the time, it's pretty awesome what Kepler does but far from perfect.

My previous 4P Folding & current Personal Rig

I once was a poor man, but then I found a crown.

You know you could just build a mechanical device right into them. There was stuff about them doing that with electronics already.

And what's the difference? I have never heard about people detecting the micro frequencies of a typewriter, if there is even a difference at all.

Besides they still get the planets wrong all the time, it's pretty awesome what Kepler does but far from perfect.

I've never heard of such technology either.  But I am sure if anyone has it, it's NSA.

That makes not that much sense...Do they mean they have typewriters that are not electronic?

Yeah they are thinking of using the old designe

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

There was a similar article a year back about Russia going to typewriters to avoid spying also.  This is not really a new idea.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jul/11/russia-reverts-paper-nsa-leaks

EDIT: also one big advantage to using a typewriter,  If a letter doesn't have a signature or handwriting on it there is no proof of the legitimacy of it. 

Digital signature vs signature... Paper is so easy to counterfeit. Of course you can do signature examinations or what ever but checking digital signature is super fast.

Encrypting documents with RSA id type tokens which are usable only on special PCs in special LAN. Basically two factor auth for documents. This way it should be  possible to easy track who opened which document.

In the end paper is readable by everyone, if you get direct access to it. It take so much space, when you carry it you basically are it's security. IMHO using typewriters in long term would not resolve the problem. As a temporary solution in cases like this Germany-NSA thing is seems quite logical.

Yeah they are thinking of using the old designe

With ink tapes? Some one gets one of those an can get all of whats written with that typewriter with that tape :D

Digital signature vs signature... Paper is so easy to counterfeit. Of course you can do signature examinations or what ever but checking digital signature is super fast.

Encrypting documents with RSA id type tokens which are usable only on special PCs in special LAN. Basically two factor auth for documents. This way it should be  possible to easy track who opened which document.

In the end paper is readable by everyone, if you get direct access to it. It take so much space, when you carry it you basically are it's security. IMHO using typewriters in long term would not resolve the problem. As a temporary solution in cases like this Germany-NSA thing is seems quite logical.

That's not what I meant, if documents on paper are leaked, the claim can be made that they are fraudulent, and like wise with orders an embedded code can be used to authenticate the origin.  You cannot claim an email is fraudulent if their is a digital trail to your computer.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

OP should think about working for the Bild, hehe. 

The title of this topic is wrongly worded anyways, the articles simply state that the demand for typewriters is currently very high, but so is the demand for vinyl players. The overall theory that the demand for these things is higher because of the NSA affair is questionable. 

Germany isn't switching to typewriters, nor is our government switching to typewriters. 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

That's not what I meant, if documents on paper are leaked, the claim can be made that they are fraudulent, and like wise with orders an embedded code can be used to authenticate the origin.  You cannot claim an email is fraudulent if their is a digital trail to your computer.

Oh, now I got what you mean. But claiming that it's fraud to one that stole it does not make much sense - they know were they got it. Even if it's not real then staying silent would give more advantage.

Oh, now I got what you mean. But claiming that it's fraud to one that stole it does not make much sense - they know were they got it. Even if it's not real then staying silent would give more advantage.

it's not the one who stole it that you have to convince, it's the people they are giving/selling it to. And even then you only really need to cause them some doubt about it's authenticity.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Well, the big brother era is now started! Human can't live with technology, our generation is all brainwashed by technology. As an example i am desperate and bored if i don't use a computer for only 1 day! We are all depend on technology, internet, social media. 

"THE RED ARMY"

| INTEL i5 4690K | GIGABYTE Z97X GAMING 3 | XFX R9 390X | CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 4x2 8GB 1600Mhz | CORSAIR H80i | XFX XTR 650W | 1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE | ADATA SP600 256GB | LOGITECH G502 | CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1400 | CORSAIR K70 MECHANICAL RED | NZXT S340 |

it's not the one who stole it that you have to convince, it's the people they are giving/selling it to. And even then you only really need to cause them some doubt about it's authenticity.

But isn't it so with any intel. It must be checked. Look at the Snowden - he doesn't leak anything directly but gives hints and it's enough to direct people which way to dig.

I think this is why something like NSA or any other organization like that gathers so much info. They search for triggers and then inspect closer. One hint might be enough to put peaces together.

Cherry MX Blue Typewriters I hope!

575f3b9bb67741d22c0f8ea87a4737c6_large.j

f6f475050010bbab7a8aaeec3f4fef3d_large.j

Where did you found this? :o

My Current PC Codename: Scrapper

Spoiler

Intel i5-3570 | Some LGA 1155 MOBO Some Generic DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz | PowerColor RX 560 2GB | Recycled HP Case Crucial MX100 128GB 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Some Generic 500w PSU | Intel Stock Cooler

All Ballocks... (imo)

Just use LAN's with no outside connections?

can we not just isolate it from the internet? isn't that an option?

..seems like the logical thing to do

the NSA is everywhere. in your house in your walls.they are in your brain.

they probobly can get a super secret nsa thing to get inside the german isolated thing.

for example intel cpu are made in usa.so they can creat a super dark code that wiil do bad stuff  

Where did you found this? :o

Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/954250822/the-qwerkywriter-typewriter-inspired-mechanical-ke

It's been fully funded though but it seems it can be pre-ordered here for $309: http://www.qwerkywriter.com/

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |