Review : 120Hz 27inch IPS screen (Overlord Tempest X270OC) !

qwertywarrior

120hz, IPS and 1440p. Now that is why I call near near perfect, does it support display port 1.2a for activesync?

That's a pretty big downside of this monitor. Only comes with Dual-link DVI. I for one would have preferred Display Port.

That's a pretty big downside of this monitor. Only comes with Dual-link DVI. I for one would have preferred Display Port.

Yeah since I'd be investing on a better monitor and relegate my current 720p display to my secondary one I rather wait for that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is not a crappy korean panel, they are using the LG IPS panel

You are of course aware that Korean ebay brands buy their panels from Apple, Samsung and LG specifically? They are essentially these manufacturer's b-stock panels brought into the consumer market by a third party.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Only dvi is a deal-breaker to me and it isn't even 120hz out of the box.

You are of course aware that Korean ebay brands buy their panels from Apple, Samsung and LG specifically? They are essentially these manufacturer's b-stock panels brought into the consumer market by a third party.

Yeah I know they are the same but they are B grade panels and often have issues like dead pixels or flickering or bad controllers or whatever other issues can arise 

I hope this company are using A grade as they say. I inherently do not trust them as I dont know their brand or track record

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This makes the  ASUS ROG swift more irrelevant than it already was IMO.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

These monitors have been around for quite some time and they are not good by any means first of all nearly all of them will have coil whine when you OC them to 120Hz but its not over thsese guys (overlord) are known to use crappy controllers or no controllers at all. you thought it was over NOPE these İPS panels they use actually suck every balls in africa A GRADE my ass for the love of elephants stay away from these monitors.

You should really do some research before saying something like that to avoid looking like an idiot. This uses an LG ips panel. And other korean monitors on ebay get panels from Samsung and LG.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

They are A panels. As someone else said all these IPS knock off's use the same two panels anyways. Apple Cinema's are LG. Hell this would be the Apple Cinema Panel used on Imac's. Literally the same monitor, with a different stand. There is even the mic hole that is unused (that Apple uses) on the monitor.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=114&cp_id=11401&cs_id=1130703&p_id=10509&seq=1&format=2

Overlord has a better stand though and they are overclocked. They are nice. Probably best monitor you can get until the inevitable 4k/freesync/ips/high hz.

All depends what you do. Some like TN, some like IPS. Personally I really like IPS. That said the glow on corners on ips can suck and drive some people crazy (especially those who watch a ton of movies on their monitor), and dead pixels is a risk on the non A plus panels. When you are talking half the price of a Apple/Dell though it is worth the risk and some time shipping back and forth. Really all depends on the return policy.

Add to that calibration. Many of the knock off's initial settings are just horrible. If you have some spare time though and can calibrate yourself these monitors can be a hell of a deal. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Too bad it couldn't be about $350

If you're complaining about a $100 price difference, then I suspect you never planned on making a purchase regardless.

Too bad it couldn't be about $350

This is still at a highly aggressive price point. If ASUS made a monitor with these specs you could expect it to easily be twice the price. Then again it would look a lot better and have an excellent warranty so... Idk.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

This is still at a highly aggressive price point. If ASUS made a monitor with these specs you could expect it to easily be twice the price. Then again it would look a lot better and have an excellent warranty so... Idk.

Pretty much. The non overclocked LG panels they use in brands like Apple and their cinema are a grand. These are half the price and overclocked. These are the same panels just A instead of A plus. Some of the knock offs are like A- and lower and that is when they get sketchy. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

If you're complaining about a $100 price difference, then I suspect you never planned on making a purchase regardless.

I said in one of my previous replies that it was a south park reference.

I said in one of my previous replies that it was a south park reference.

Totally missed that

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

So it's 120hz.... but does anybody know if the ghosting / pixel blur is bad? And does it support low-persistence? What about variable refresh rates?  The perfect monitor, we might be closing in on it guys.

So it's 120hz.... but does anybody know if the ghosting / pixel blur is bad? And does it support low-persistence? What about variable refresh rates?  The perfect monitor, we might be closing in on it guys.

That's another concern of course. Even if actually does 120Hz (many of the korean panels actually just dropped frames left and right when you oced them) then how good will it actually look? The technology behind IPS is simply slower than TN, period. If the pixels just blur into each other because they can't switch fast enough for the actual refresh rate then it'll be pretty useless. Again, waiting for more reviews.

This'll be a very blurry experience. I already think "1ms" TN panels have too much motion blur without a low persistance hack, this'll be atrocious.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE