Review : 120Hz 27inch IPS screen (Overlord Tempest X270OC) !

qwertywarrior

WOHOOO YEAH

finally !

450$ ! (using grade A LG panels and custom control board for high refresh rates)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overlord-tempest-x270oc-monitor,3879.html

a-award.jpg

important bits

• You can have one with or without an anti-glare layer, for instance. Removing that layer improves clarity and detail rendering

• Of course, this company's main attraction is its overclockable panels.

• its pricing is significantly below the average for even run-of-the-mill QHD monitors

• The key to Overlord’s success with the X270OC is a custom-made control board. That single component is the reason other IPS screens are stuck at 60 Hz. You can perform the same software tweaks necessary to run at 120 Hz on other monitors (they are made to handle overclocking the panel)

• The Tempest monitors are essentially hand-built using an A-grade LG panel as their core part.

• The proprietary control boards are tested before installation to be sure they can handle higher rate signals.

• the X270OC is a very typical 8-bit sRGB IPS QHD monitor with a W-LED edge backlight.

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I love that somebody was actually willing to call a company Overlord.

I have to say that the display latency number is impressive for an IPS panel, not anywhere near as fast as some of the TN panels available but still very fast.

I love that somebody was actually willing to call a company Overlord.

waiting for the Overlord Gaben X33OC

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Looks a bit on the not-so-aesthetically-pleasing side.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

<6ms response time?

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

ohhh The mighty gaben May steam be upon him

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

-snip-

12 o'clock here in aus, doing my economics homework, verge of falling asleep, notification pops up, I have a read: "120hz 27 inch ..." I think: "yeah, yeah, whatever, just another TN panel" 

*glance at it again*

WAIT WHAT! IPS? 120HZ? SORCERY!

Not getting one anyway! #studentlife

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

Or the Overlord GayBen (Linus said it, not me...promise! :P) :P (JK).

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

This is the ultimate monitor  :wub:

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Their logo is disgusting :( but 120hz 1440p.. ME WANT, do I have to sell my monitor and get this? I only just bought it >< maybe I will keep it as a spare display ....hmm

Shame its not in the UK

Interesting product though, there are tons of monitors out there using the LG panel, wonder if you could upgrade the controllers in them to OC...

those panels do not seem to cope well with ghosting and stuff

this monitor uses the same LG panel ( I assume) and it does not have a great response time, maybe this fixes that

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dgm_ips-2701wph.htm

Its just that it looks like its almost the same monitor....

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have to say that the display latency number is impressive for an IPS panel, not anywhere near as fast as some of the TN panels available but still very fast.

How good is Tom's Hardware with monitor reviews though? I don't like the site in general and I would like someone from prad.de or tft-central to review this monitor. There are so many things that can go wrong when measuring latency and response time on monitors......

How good is Tom's Hardware with monitor reviews though? I don't like the site in general and I would like someone from prad.de or tft-central to review this monitor. There are so many things that can go wrong when measuring latency and response time on monitors......

Those are my choices of reviewer also, if I'm looking at buying a monitor having an entry on one of those increases the chance of a sale by a lot.

TFTCentral has been a haunt of mine since the 2233RZ. :)

Next time I see a display I'm interested in with a review on Tom's and one of the those 2 maybe I will compare them.

they are pretty much one of the best in measuring

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overlord-tempest-x270oc-monitor,3879-4.html

this is how they measured

I could feasibly buy this, and it's extremely tempting, but I want to hold off until it has some more footing than just spec hype and one review. 

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

I'm really hoping we see more high refresh rate IPS monitors. I don't like having to choose between high refresh rate and better colors. :(

Still, I think I'm going to be waiting a bit longer before I replace my current monitors. I want my next monitor purchase to have G-Sync/Adaptive-Sync.

120Hz

IPS

Oh my jesus

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Too bad it couldn't be about $350

Too bad it couldn't be about $350

Well this is nothing new.

You can get korean panels that can reach 120hz overclock for a long time now (maybe 2 years+), in fact Overlord panels are those same panels - they just asure you that those monitors will reach 120hz. On ebay you have sellers who will do the same thing with QNIX and XSTAR branding.

And yes, you can find some at $350. At least i found some under that price a while ago.

You don't get the best colors compared to top IPS panels, but it sure is better then any top TN panel.

...better then any top TN panel

Did you read the article or look at any information about the monitors they compared it to? This is a straight up lie as it performed worse than the Asus VG248QE (TN) in pretty much every category including luminance, contrast ratio and avg delta E (not listed for the Asus in the review)

These monitors have been around for quite some time and they are not good by any means first of all nearly all of them will have coil whine when you OC them to 120Hz but its not over thsese guys (overlord) are known to use crappy controllers or no controllers at all. you thought it was over NOPE these İPS panels they use actually suck every balls in africa A GRADE my ass for the love of elephants stay away from these monitors.

These monitors have been around for quite some time and they are not good by any means first of all nearly all of them will have coil whine when you OC them to 120Hz but its not over thsese guys (overlord) are known to use crappy controllers or no controllers at all. you thought it was over NOPE these İPS panels they use actually suck every balls in africa A GRADE my ass for the love of elephants stay away from these monitors.

This is not a crappy korean panel, they are using the LG IPS panel ( believe its the one from the apple thunderbolt display) and they have upgraded the controller to run at 120hz natively, this is not a cheap koren bought panel overclocked like most people were doing for

It MIGHT be different

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

120hz, IPS and 1440p. Now that is why I call near near perfect, does it support display port 1.2a for activesync?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well this is nothing new.

You can get korean panels that can reach 120hz overclock for a long time now (maybe 2 years+), in fact Overlord panels are those same panels - they just asure you that those monitors will reach 120hz. On ebay you have sellers who will do the same thing with QNIX and XSTAR branding.

And yes, you can find some at $350. At least i found some under that price a while ago.

You don't get the best colors compared to top IPS panels, but it sure is better then any top TN panel.

Just making a south park reference :P

Did you read the article or look at any information about the monitors they compared it to? This is a straight up lie as it performed worse than the Asus VG248QE (TN) in pretty much every category including luminance, contrast ratio and avg delta E (not listed for the Asus in the review)

I saw other reviews, a long time ago.

Check Tek Syndicate channel, search and see for yourself.