Intel's second-quarter earnings surge on PC sales

Dietrichw

Source

intel_ceo_bryan_ces-2014.jpg

Intel said its second-quarter profit surged 40 percent, as the chipmaker's PC business posted strong revenue gains, making up for a more than $1 billion operating loss in its mobile unit.

Intel said Tuesday that its PC client unit posted a 41 percent rise in operating profit to $3.73 billion, on a 6 percent increase in revenue from the year ago. The data-center business reported a 40 percent rise in profit, on 19 percent revenue growth.

Revenue grew 8 percent to $13.83 billion. The company last month raised its revenue expectations for the period to $13.7 billion, plus or minus $300 million, citing stronger than expected demand for business PCs.

"PCs are dying." - most people

My fucking ass they are.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

PCs are still going strong.

"How hard can it be?" - Jeremy Clarkson

"Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

"There's an old saying that God exists in your search for him. I just want you to understand that I ain't looking." - Leslie Nielsen

see the thing is, buying computers and upgrading is a luxury. so like everything else, it tanked with the economy. now that its getting better, people can afford to upgrade more. because It seems like people will upgrade their phones every 2 years no matter what. 

but with pcs, my dads I7 920 from 6 years ago(?) is still going strong. he doesn't have a reason to upgrade. and defiently wouldn't of when money was tight. so a combo of poor economy, and performance not sky rocking anymore is where the "pcs dieing" came from. 

#PCeverythingMasterrace

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

600 million machines over the age of 4 years that they hope to turn into CPU sales soon? That's a lot of business if those machines are indeed upgraded in the near future and Intel CPUs are selected.

Excellent news though I always like to see positive reports from PC hardware companies, long live my favourite industry!

Intel Skylake

If true the quad core base is a big step forward IMO, duals have been around for a very long time and are still very viable for a number of applications but at the baseline pricepoint? I'd pick 4 Intel cores over 4 AMD FX modules every time.

I'm very interested to see how AMD move along with their next wave of consumer CPUs, I wonder if they will even bring another enthusiast CPUs to market?  As you say Intel graphics is pushing strongly and has a monumental installed userbase as it is, I wonder how AMD's APU product line will behave if we see quad core i3s with even stronger iGPUs.

It seems to co-inside with Microsoft dropping support for Windows XP.

Not surprising, really

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

But PC is dying. Right guise?

PC sails r down. Take tht pcmusterdrace!!