This new carbon nanotube material is the darkest thing on the planet

Dietrichw

Almost certain touching this makes you evil.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

If this absorbing capability is real, this is a great breakthrough, but the military is going to use it (obviously) for scary things like other technologies which we use in life. (or not yet)
I think the scary part is not that you can hide something from "the naked eye" considering that it is so black that going to be the thing that makes it visible ,  but you can make it unvisible from technically all our modern detecting equipment.
Dangerous and marvelous at the same time.

Assuming the setting that you're in has light which would bounce off the surrounding surfaces... Otherwise, anything coated in this material is near invisible in the dark.

Actually this is a problem for submarines now. That they are actually "deadzones" in the ocean at this point and scientists are developing ways to discover where a sub might be by the way that sounds interact with the dead zone.

Essentially it comes down to if something that is perfectly black is in an environment that isnt perfectly black, its going to be absorbing radiation that should normally be reflected back in a certain way. By detecting the change and plotting its movement, you can guess what/where it is. This is sortof how ultrasonic alarm systems work. They send out high frequency sound waves to "map" the environment as the sound bounces back, and if something changes in the environment it will change the sound reflected back. If it changes too much or too fast, alarms go off.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

That's pretty cool

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I'm just curious of what kinds of temperature this can reach. Could be useful for creating power.

"Apparently, light enters the material, and is absorbed and converted to heat before it can escape."  - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/15/none_more_black_nanobased_vantablack_called_worlds_darkest_material/

That heat is going to have to go somewhere, either expelled back out the way the light came or to heat sinks inside any stealth craft the material would be covered in making it not the most highly efficient stealth material

My headphones have carbon nano-tube drivers, I knew it was super hard/strong, didn't know it was dark too =p

"Apparently, light enters the material, and is absorbed and converted to heat before it can escape."  - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/15/none_more_black_nanobased_vantablack_called_worlds_darkest_material/

That heat is going to have to go somewhere, either expelled back out the way the light came or to heat sinks inside any stealth craft the material would be covered in making it not the most highly efficient stealth material

I believe thermal equilibrium can account for that if the nanotube can adsorb sufficient photons/t in relation to the rate of emissions of photons for a given frequency.  In other words if the material can absorb electromagnetic radiation at the same or a higher rate than they are produced by the radar, ir scope etc, then there will be no heating effect.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

so what you're saying is if I put this in my microwave my house will burn down

Sometimes Science is just CREEPY!

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.