This new carbon nanotube material is the darkest thing on the planet

Dietrichw

I could see this being of use in pro grade monitors. This could be the way to finally achieve lifelike color and shadows on screen. This could help reduce light bleed and unwanted reflections inside a display panel.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

It looks dangerous. very dangerous.

EDIT: for those who may not know why,  this material will make anything 99.96% invisible to radar, night vision, heat vision and the human eye in dark environments. That's a suit, plane, car or boat and weapons virtually undetectable by most modern scanners. 

As far as we know it only absorbs light in the visible spectrum. Just because it can absorb visible light doesn't mean it can absorb all light.

And before you quote the source as saying all light, give me an example of ONE non-scientific journal article that correctly uses the term visible light.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

As far as we know it only absorbs light in the visible spectrum. Just because it can absorb visible light doesn't mean it can absorb all light.

And before you quote the source as saying all light, give me an example of ONE non-scientific journal article that correctly uses the term visible light.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/426276/nano-paint-could-make-airplanes-invisible-to-radar/

http://tommytoy.typepad.com/tommy-toy-pbt-consultin/2011/12/a-nanotube-coating-would-allow-a-plane-to-absorb-a-radar-beam-making-it-undetectable-a-new-nanostructured-coating-could-be.html

The long straws of pure carbon, each just a few nanometers in diameter, absorb a broad spectrum of light—from radio waves through visible light through the ultraviolet—almost perfectly.

edit: the later link is the one that explains in best detail, but I'll leave the first link purely for interest. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

linus is getting his next lambo in this colour. :P

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

It looks like octuple compressed cobblestone.

Congrats to anyone who understood that.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

Now to invent something which would reflect as much light... I guess we could call it the "mirror".

That would be fascinating.

AMD FX-6300 @ 4.5ghz (1.332v) | Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Asus M5A97 R2.0 | Kingston HyperX 16GB @ 1600mhz | MSI Radeon R9 290 Twin Frozr

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w PSU | 256GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 | Zalman Z11 Plus

inb4 US Military

"M. Aronnax." replied the Canadian, "your arguments are rotten at the foundation. You speak in the future, 'We shall be there! we shall be here!' I speak in the present, 'We are here, and we must profit by it.'"

It's like, how much more black this could be? And the answer is... 0.04%. 0.04% more black.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

it has to do something with the energy it absorbs ... my bet is that it would be very very hot in bright places 

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

It looks like octuple compressed cobblestone.

Congrats to anyone who understood that.

I understood and your right. Good luck getting that much cobble though.

It's like, how much more black this could be? And the answer is... 0.04%. 0.04% more black.

Mate, this shit's so black that black sabbath had to change their name to dark grey sabbath

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The problem with using something this ridiculously dark for stealth is that it is significantly darker than everything around it, making it effectively visible.

FX 8320@4.1Ghz, Noctua NH-D14, MSI 7870@1050Mhz, 8 GB 1600 MHz, M5A97 LE R2.0, NZXT H440, CX500M

Your rights matter because you never know when you are going to need them.

-Edward Snowden

Wait...is it racist calling this...black?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

wow that's awesome and dangerous, need a suit covered in it. 

First thing that came to my mind. Unsurprisingly, the military will have access to this first.

The problem with using something this ridiculously dark for stealth is that it is significantly darker than everything around it, making it effectively visible.

Assuming the setting that you're in has light which would bounce off the surrounding surfaces... Otherwise, anything coated in this material is near invisible in the dark.

They say if you stare at it long enough you can see its actually a black hole made of dark matter absorbing everything i wouldnt put my hand there if i were you.

It looks dangerous. very dangerous.

EDIT: for those who may not know why,  this material will make anything 99.96% invisible to radar, night vision, heat vision and the human eye in dark environments. That's a suit, plane, car or boat and weapons virtually undetectable by most modern scanners. 

Does the article actually specify that it absorbs RADAR emissions at the same efficiency? RADAR works off of radio waves, which while they are part of the electromagnetic spectrum, just like light, they do have distinct characteristics. The article to me says "all light", but that doesn't inherently mean the entire EM spectrum.

"Light" is a word that changes it's meaning depending on the application. Light generally refers to "Visible Light", or the section of the EM spectrum that we can actually see. In physics sometimes "light" refers to the entire spectrum, but not always.

So I'd be curious about how this interacts with other types of EM radiation. If you're right, then yes this is an incredible breakthrough, both amazing and potentially terrifying. Imagine an ICBM coated with this stuff? Sure you would still be able to track it's upward movements from the heat/energy of the rocket engine, but once that disconnects/shuts off, you could use air-fins to change course, and the missile and warhead would essentially be impossible to stop, except by visual and MANUAL (Example: some dude has to aim at - and then shoot down the warhead) interception.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Does the article actually specify that it absorbs RADAR emissions at the same efficiency? RADAR works off of radio waves, which while they are part of the electromagnetic spectrum, just like light, they do have distinct characteristics. The article to me says "all light", but that doesn't inherently mean the entire EM spectrum.

"Light" is a word that changes it's meaning depending on the application. Light generally refers to "Visible Light", or the section of the EM spectrum that we can actually see. In physics sometimes "light" refers to the entire spectrum, but not always.

So I'd be curious about how this interacts with other types of EM radiation. If you're right, then yes this is an incredible breakthrough, both amazing and potentially terrifying. Imagine an ICBM coated with this stuff? Sure you would still be able to track it's upward movements from the heat/energy of the rocket engine, but once that disconnects/shuts off, you could use air-fins to change course, and the missile and warhead would essentially be impossible to stop, except by visual and MANUAL (Example: some dude has to aim at - and then shoot down the warhead) interception.

apparently the article states it absorbes a vast majority of the EMS so yes, that includes radiowaves, IR, UV, xray, and others. the only thing i didnt read was alpha, beta, gamma, delta xD

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

yes, I linked to a couple of other articles that explain the range of EMR it absorbs a few posts ago, One specifically lists radar. Although none talk about efficiency I can't see them being far of.

I would think that despite the rocket motor having cut out, the ICBM would give off some sort of EM or or heat signature, it would'nt be the exact same temperature as the air around it, so It would still be spottable

I would think......and hope

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This probably costs £40 billion to make a kilogram of.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.