Google's Play Store is getting a big, visually intensive makeover

Dietrichw

Source

AndroidPolice with more photos in higher resolutions of tablet and phone versions

nexusae0_wm_Screenshot_2014-07-11-19-10-

^current

nexusae0_wm_2_thumb1.png

^pre-release design

Android Police has obtained a wealth of screenshots hinting at a big Play Store revamp that borrows more than a few pages from the company's new Material Design handbook. Extra-large artwork is everywhere, and there are now a slew of icons that make it clear what you'll be getting, such as mature content. The layout isn't perfect; there's a lot of scrolling, for example, and some of the sharing features appear to be buried at the bottom. With that said, the new storefront is billed as a work in progress with no definite release date. It wouldn't be out of the question to see a few tweaks before the store reaches your mobile device of choice.

Looks nice but isn't efficient for screen space, especially on the phone versions 

Well it looks nice.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

Nice, to be honest I've thought for a while that Gplay looks kind of bland, it will be good to see some attention paid to its aesthetic IMHO.

The above sentence is a lie, I like Gplay how it is, it works pretty nicely on mobile.

Seriously, what is up with Google that every time they do a redesign they waste more and more screen real estate. I mean what the hell is that? It looks broken, like the page did not load properly.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Seriously, what is up with Google that every time they do a redesign they waste more and more screen real estate. I mean what the hell is that? It looks broken, like the page did not load properly.

Its probably still in the works (hopefully)

I like the simple look of the Play store right now, so I don't really want them to change a single thing about it.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The new design looks like it is supposed to just be a continuation of the materialistic design of Android "L"

CPU: Intel I7-4790k | MOBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 | Ram: Corsair Vengance 32GB 1600hz | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Reference

PSU: Corsair EVGA G2 850W  | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB, Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Case: Corsair 760T (White) | Peripherals: (2)Asus VS247H-P, Corsair M65, Corsair K70 RGB w/ Brown Switches

I don't get it. People complaining about the white space. The phone one looks fine and has no white space, and on a tablet, in my opinion, you should be allowed to sacrifice some real estate to make it look decent. One more scroll won't kill you

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

I don't get it. People complaining about the white space. The phone one looks fine and has no white space, and on a tablet, in my opinion, you should be allowed to sacrifice some real estate to make it look decent. One more scroll won't kill you

Google has been sacrificing usability for looks for far too long. What's the logical conclusion to this, having phone where you press one giant button and watch the pretty pictures?

And besides, it doesn't look good. Like I said previously it looks like the page has not loaded in properly.

Here's another functionality we lose to yet another redesign. Notice how the share button is gone.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.