Contests on LTT should partially be geared towards regulars.

DeViLzzz

I don't know what you are talking about, I am not against 1 post people entering giveaways but I am concerned about the multi-accounts.

and the multiple accounts is the first thing I addressed. I then went on to cover other general topics of this thread. But as I already pointed out, Linus knows how to check for multiple accounts. Anyone running giveaways like this does. Part of the complex laws I mentioned is a requirement that person running the giveaway takes action against fraudulent entries. It's something that every contest has to deal with.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

i understand that it is easier to manage through the forum, but my opinion is that all giveaways should be kept away from the forum entierly, don't force people to come here and make accounts, let the people who wants to come here and talk about tech join us and keep all the uninterested hooligans outside.

no giveaway should be done through the forum in the first place, nor should we have forum exclusive giveaways that might "encourage" random people to make accounts.

i understand that it is easier to manage through the forum, but my opinion is that all giveaways should be kept away from the forum entierly, don't force people to come here and make accounts, let the people who wants to come here and talk about tech join us and keep all the uninterested hooligans outside.

no giveaway should be done through the forum in the first place, nor should we have forum exclusive giveaways that might make random people create accounts.

How should they do the giveaways then? Only by via registering with Youtube? Facebook? Twitch? No matter what people are going to have to register somewhere in order to enter the giveaway. Of those options the forums are the most secure in preventing multiple entries because they can see things like your general location and IP address. If the account that wins shows it was registered via an IP in the UK, but the win asks the prize to be shipped to the US, Linus will know they cheated.

Also you need to remember that no one, including Linus, does contests out of pure goodness of their heart charity. They are incentives to drive traffic to their business. So you really have no business saying they can't or shouldn't require people register with the forums to enter the contest.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

I messaged Linus about it and he said it is a YouTube giveaway, not a LTT giveaway which is understandable 

I explained this: yes it's sort of sad for us regulars (a.k.a obsessive and nutty) here on the forums however they do this contest precisely to get more new people to watch in, follow the channels, social networks and join the forums. Think of it as a way to try to get more regulars on the forums. Yes even if out of those 300 new accounts only 10 become regular users here it was already sort of worth it for all involved (Linus, Tek Syndicate and their sponsors)

That being said, I wouldn't mind a bit of a "thanks for continued support" gesture like maybe some sort of badge for people on the forums after a certain amount of time and posts or a small token raffle like a few key chains or coffee mugs only for old timers. I don't expect them to do this but I wouldn't mind it, it would just be like a cool gesture but not something that I say we should expect, much less demand.

-------

Current Rig

-------

anyone who watches linus vid's should be able to join in the giveawy....now with that being said we cant track down multiple accounts but we can accuse 

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

Did you see the winners for the LG G3 phones? Out of the 25 winners only 3 were actual active members on the forum, 97% of them did not have more then 1 post and the others had less then 10.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I explained this: yes it's sort of sad for us regulars (a.k.a obsessive and nutty) here on the forums however they do this contest precisely to get more new people to watch in, follow the channels, social networks and join the forums. Think of it as a way to try to get more regulars on the forums. Yes even if out of those 300 new accounts only 10 become regular users here it was already sort of worth it for all involved (Linus, Tek Syndicate and their sponsors)

That being said, I wouldn't mind a bit of a "thanks for continued support" gesture like maybe some sort of badge for people on the forums after a certain amount of time and posts or a small token raffle or like a few key chains or coffee mugs only for old timers. I don't expect them to do this but I wouldn't mind it, it would just be like a cool gesture but not something that I say we should expect, much less demand.

but being a regular doesnt necessarily mean that you have to have over 1k posts either. i joined in june i think??? and im pretty sure most people on here know me....hopefully 

CPU: Intel i5-4690K  COOLER: XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 w/ Ice Dragon White Nanofluid MOBO: MSI Z97 GAMING 5   RAM: G.Skill Sniper 8gb 2X4gb 2133   PSU: Corsair GS800  GPU: SLI MSI TWIN FROZR GTX 760 4GB CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe    STORAGE: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 128GB, WD BLACK 1TB, WD GREEN 1TB, SEAGATE BARRACUDA 1TB, WD BLUE 320GB KEYBOARD: Ducky Zero DK2108S MOUSE: Logitech G600 

Did you see the winners for the LG G3 phones? Out of the 25 winners only 3 were actually regulars on the forum, 97% of them did not have more then 1 post and the others had less then 10.

100% meaningless since, again, the entire point of giveaways is to drive traffic to the forums. So really, the giveaway did exactly what it was supposed to do.

100% meaningless since, again, the entire point of giveaways is to drive traffic to the forums. So really, the giveaway did exactly what it was supposed to do.

Whats the point of driving traffic to the forum, if the people you are trying to drive to the forum, never come back to the forum?

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

How should they do the giveaways then? Only by via registering with Youtube? Facebook? Twitch? No matter what people are going to have to register somewhere in order to enter the giveaway. Of those options the forums are the most secure in preventing multiple entries because they can see things like your general location and IP address. If the account that wins shows it was registered via an IP in the UK, but the win asks the prize to be shipped to the US, Linus will know they cheated.

Also you need to remember that no one, including Linus, does contests out of pure goodness of their heart charity. They are incentives to drive traffic to their business. So you really have no business saying they can't or shouldn't require people register with the forums to enter the contest.

Linus has a certain responsibility over this forum since he is the one that got the community started, he can't just do whatever the fuck he wants with it, well maybe he can.. but he shouldn't, especially not since people have given and are giving them alot of money to keep this thing going.

this forum is a tech community discussing things relating to that, i couln't care less for the connection to ltt media group, people have to create accounts somewhere? yes, and your point is? i certainly don't care, i just don't want uniterested random people dragged into this community cluttering it up with garbage, noone cares about twitter or the youtube comment section, you have completely and utterly missed my point.

but being a regular doesnt necessarily mean that you have to have over 1k posts either. i joined in june i think??? and im pretty sure most people on here know me....hopefully 

I didn't mention a specific number though. And yes lurkers should also be appreciated too nothing against that. However it's interesting that this can already start to become a divisive issue like it was mentioned before, perhaps better to just not mess with things like that maybe.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Have to agree with Bansh33.  How do you determine who is a regular?  I visit the forums pretty much daily, have donated to LTT, been a member since the forum went live, but do not post very often.  Does this mean that I am not a regular??

I'm a forum regular, I've been on here since last September, yet I don't have a high post count because I post a lot in off topic and prefer to read that post. So if there was a prize for regulars, longevity of being on the forum as well as post count should be taken into account.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

LTT is a media company, that happens to have an excellent forum, not a web community that happens to have a youtube channel. Making "forum regular only" contests wouldn't make any more sense for them than a television station making a email newsletter only contest. Youtube is the LTT platform, it's their bread and butter and what pays the bills. All youtube viewers should have equal chance at winning contests for the channel regardless of forum participation.

I'm a forum regular, I've been on here since last September, yet I don't have a high post count because I post a lot in off topic and prefer to read that post. So if there was a prize for regulars, longevity of being on the forum as well as post count should be taken into account.

im on here daily? but i became a member in early june? so im not a regular?

Have to agree with Bansh33.  How do you determine who is a regular?  I visit the forums pretty much daily, have donated to LTT, been a member since the forum went live, but do not post very often.  Does this mean that I am not a regular??

up that post count ! reply when you don't have to ! it is how to fit in !

giveaways are giveaways. no one should buy multiple lottery tickets thinking they are entitled to win more than the guy who bought less.

Build Logs

Project "Oh No" | Ice Pack | Secondhand | MicroP

LTT is a media company, that happens to have an excellent forum, not a web community that happens to have a youtube channel. Making "forum regular only" contests wouldn't make any more sense for them than a television station making a email newsletter only contest. Youtube is the LTT platform, it's their bread and butter and what pays the bills. All youtube viewers should have equal chance at winning contests for the channel regardless of forum participation.

Excellent analogy.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Whats the point of driving traffic to the forum, if the people you are trying to drive to the forum, never come back to the forum?

This is pretty much my only problem. If you created a requirement such as user has to have 10/20 posts can anyone argue that is unreasonable? Give the amount of time the competition ran for it would be easy for anyone to generate 10 posts that actually contribute to the forum along with getting them a bit more active than a single post I like the G3 because resolution.

Is 10 posts to see if you like the forum and maybe convince people to stick around that unreasonable for a free phone?

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

I'm going to say no, but I want to explain it.

When I watched the video about the laptop giveaway that was the final push for me to go and make an account on the LTT forums. I've heard about them, and I've been watching LTT videos for about a month at this point but I hadn't made an account yet.

Now that I was given that final push to "GO GO, YES MAKE THE ACCOUNT" I check the forums twelve, sixteen, twenty times a day. I don't always post (and as that I see that as an unfair way to judge members). I don't post all too often, but I am constantly reading what ya'll are talking about, taking mental notes, and forming my own opinion whilst trying to learn as much as I can.

I am sure I'm not the only one who has had a similar experience as this.

I feel that if contests were to be judged by the people who have "so many posts are eligible" (Maybe for a LTT Community Fan Prize type situation, sure awesome), but opening up the contests too others will introduce more people like me who are lurkers of the forums, rather then the instigators of conversation.

I also see where you are coming from this, and maybe if they did some larger prizes for those who are ABSOLUTELY involved with the community, that'd be awesome too (speaking of that, time to get more involved  :P )

I completely agree, although I joined before this contest (yes, I did apply for the G550JK lol), I check up on the forum almost every few hours. I'm fairly new to most of this and as such I don't always feel 100% commenting on things I may have no idea about, all that would be doing is adding nuisance posts and unhelpful replies as already stated. i don't have many posts but that doesn't mean I don't watch LTT on YouTube and add their affiliate code to my Amazon account to do my part. On a side note - you will always have people who try to cheat the system, doesn't mean they succeed though.

To remove the chances of new members winning that means less people will join and that means LTT get less money. 

I5 3570K, MSI Z77A G45, 8GB 2133MHz Gskill Ripjaws, MSI TwinFrozr GTX 780, Samsung 840 Evo SSD, WD Green 1TB HDD, OCZ 750 Watt PSU, Zalman Z11+ 

This is pretty much my only problem. If you created a requirement such as user has to have 10/20 posts can anyone argue that is unreasonable? Give the amount of time the competition ran for it would be easy for anyone to generate 10 posts that actually contribute to the forum along with getting them a bit more active than a single post I like the G3 because resolution.

Is 10 posts to see if you like the forum and maybe convince people to stick around that unreasonable for a free phone?

Spot on with exactly how I feel.

Do you know that there is 95,019 Total members on LTT ,out of those 95,019 members, only 12,800 members have 10 post and above, 31,579 members have 2-9 post and a whopping 50,640 members have 0-1 post. More then half of the forum members on LTT are not active.

im on here daily? but i became a member in early june? so im not a regular?

is said time period as well as posts. The idea others have been saying is post count, but that would limit myself and of others who have been here a while yet have less posts than quite a lot of people, even if the posts are relevant, so people who have been on here longer than others should be included as well as those with lots of posts.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Spot on with exactly how I feel.

Do you know that there is 95,019 Total members on LTT ,out of those 95,019 members, only 12,800 members have 10 post and above, 31,579 members have 2-9 post and a whopping 50,640 members have 0-1 post. More then half of the forum members on LTT are not active.

13% Active Members hell yeah! Active community :L

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

As a regular, and a regular who will probably crack 10 trillion posts this month alone; who gives a shit? 

Linus owes "regulars" nothing. These giveaways are not only made to drive traffic to this forum, but they are a spectacular bonus. No one here is actually here because they thought they'd continuously get free crap, are they? 

Maybe its because I have supremely bad luck and never win these online giveaways, so maybe I just don't care that new members sign up just to win. How does that change ANYTHING? Its still one spectacularly random process, your odds might fluctuate by a few hundredths of a percent at worst, tenths at best (but since so many people reply to those giveaway threads anyways, what real change are you expecting?). Its still a random tossup of who gets picked. 

Your post is borderline elitism and segratory in the message you are trying to send out. "Regulars" aren't owed crap for being here. Its only fair that anyone and everyone be allowed to partake in the giveaway. LTTs audience is far larger than the 100k or so on this forum. Are all the subscribers not considered fans or regulars? Hell, I watched every LTT video before I made an account, so by that definition was I not as worthy a member of this community as others? 

There are people here who have been here for a long time, yet don't have over 50 posts. Are they not regulars? They don't need to have a post count in the thousands to be regulars. They can just sit there, watch the videos, read all the posts, contribute only when they really feel inclined to; are they not worthy? 

Instituting a post barrier is also a nice way to flood the forums with useless shit. I know, because any forum I've been a part of that required "x amount of posts before you can attach images or y amount of posts before you can access the personal marketplace" was met with rampant and bullshit posting till I could access those abilities. We don't need that. 

The giveaways are fine as is, and this honestly comes across as whining because you have a small chance of winning. Deal. With. It.