Contests on LTT should partially be geared towards regulars.

DeViLzzz

On the first 8 pages of the autographed laptop Linus is giving away there are 100+ accounts from people who have posted 10 times or less.  While I understand that LTT wants growth and by letting everyone in a giveaway participate they may get that but I don't have to like it.  Also with contests Linus runs and others that give things away through his company they could give one prize for people who have shown they are true community members and then one prize to the obvious contest only people.  Vote below at the strawpoll please.  I know how I feel.  How do you feel?

http://strawpoll.me/2100252

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Weeeeelll....derp.

My PC

[ I5 4690k (no oc) - Gigabyte Z97 D3H - 8GB Ram - Sapphire R9 280X Vapor-X ]

while I do think that everyone who watches Linus on youtube should be able to participate, I think there should be some limits since, without a doubt, many people are creating multiple accounts to increase their chances of winning.

It's fine the way it is, It would gum up the forums if it was changed. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Would encourage a lot more shitposting to reach 100 posts or whatever you consider a regular so that they can join the good giveaways.

Exactly. There's already enough post-whoring, and it seems like this would make it even worse.

I've talked about this with several other "regulars" all with well over 2k posts and the thought was pretty much the same for all of us. Doing something like that would be grossly unfair towards a vast majority of LTT's audience. LTT has 885,382 subscribers on Youtube compared to the 94,971 members on this forum whom a vast majority of which don't fit your definition of regular user. Doing that would not be fair to the people who watch every one of LTT's video's but don't have any interest in participating in a forum environment and so haven't joined or posted on the forum. Even if they don't post on the forum anyone who watches an LTT video(without addblock) has done just as much to support LTT as you have done with your 2.6k posts and my 4.7k posts so there's no reason to exclude them from the contest.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Would encourage a lot more shitposting to reach 100 posts or whatever you consider a regular so that they can join the good giveaways.

Mods and company that are a part of LTT I think could recognize who the real contributors and true regulars are. Also I did give the option in the poll to give away one item to contest only people and then one item to regulars.

I've talked about this with several other "regulars" all with well over 2k posts and the thought was pretty much the same for all of us. Doing something like that would be grossly unfair towards a vast majority of LTT's audience. LTT has 885,382 subscribers on Youtube compared to the 94,971 members on this forum whom a vast majority of which don't fit your definition of regular user. Doing that would not be fair to the people who watch every one of LTT's video's but don't have any interest in participating in a forum environment and so haven't joined or posted on the forum. Even if they don't post on the forum anyone who watches an LTT video(without addblock) has done just as much to support LTT as you have done with your 2.6k posts and my 4.7k posts so there's no reason to exclude them from the contest.

I did include options that don't exclude them from winning something. Look at the poll closely. Also you didn't talk to me about it so whatever.

while I do think that everyone who watches Linus on youtube should be able to participate, I think there should be some limits since, without a doubt, many people are creating multiple accounts to increase their chances of winning.

Unless a VPN is used the mods can see what IP address is associated with each account.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Exactly. There's already enough post-whoring, and it seems like this would make it even worse.

I will repeat myself but if you look at the poll it gives an option for their to be two items given away even of equal value to regular members and non regular members here.

I did include options that don't exclude them from winning something.  Look at the poll closely.

I did read it and having an a tshirt or something for a non poster would still be unfair, they contribute as much as the rest of us do.

It's fine the way it is, It would gum up the forums if it was changed.

No it would not have to. Check the poll to see that I gave options that would keep this from happening.

I did read it and having an a tshirt or something for a non poster would still be unfair, they contribute as much as the rest of us do.

Can you read? #2 option could be an equal prize.

Unless a VPN is used the mods can see what IP address is associated with each account.

yeah but how do you filter such amounts of new accounts and posts in topic? for example my IP could be the same with anyone in my country with the same ISP. quite impossible imo.

they contribute as much as the rest of us do.

No they don't. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

Well if a person entering the contest doesn't shut off their VPN to enter then no entry for them.  It seems fair to me.

Can you read?  #2 option could be an equal prize.

By option two do you mean "no" or the "Only a cheap t-shirt or something worse for the contest only people" because there are four options none of which are numbered.

No obviously implies that it is left as is which is what I voted for. The other option would be unfair which is what I was saying in my first post.

I don't use it as much as some of you guys but it annoys me when you see people with 1 post trying to win the giveaway.

This ^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x  GPU: ASUS Strix rtx 2080 Super RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 8gb x4 PSU: Corsair HX850i Motherboard: ASUS Strix x570-E Storage: Samsung 840 pro, Samsung 970 evo 1tb nvme, segate 2tb Case: NZXT H510I Cooling: Corsair h100i

No it would not have to.  Check the poll to see that I gave options that would keep this from happening.

If there were equal prizes for both parties, what would be the point in separating the two communities? I like the idea of having better prizes for dedicated LTT fans or whatever, but I don't see how it could be easily managed. It would require more man-hours to manage.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

If there were equal prizes for both parties, what would be the point in separating the two communities? I like the idea of having better prizes for dedicated LTT fans or whatever, but I don't see how it could be easily managed. It would require more man-hours to manage.

I had to give options and as for telling who regulars are or not it isn't hard looking down a contest thread to see who that is.  Hell I could manage to figure that out for free.

I had to give options and as for telling who regulars are or not it isn't hard looking down a contest thread to see who that is.  Hell I could manage to figure that out for free.

Post count wouldn't be the way to do it, so how would you judge it?

Post count wouldn't be the way to do it, so how would you judge it?

Actually post count would help weed out people. Also if Linus suddenly said contributors who donate so much money to LTT per year are entered into a second contest I would not object to it.  Right now for the record I haven't donated or bought anything from LTT so I would be excluded (unless they looked at my YouTube views counting).  Point is I am not being bias here.  I can see where contest rules could be a certain way that do not work to my advantage.  All I want to see is LTT people being rewarded and not contest only people.

I'm going to say no, but I want to explain it.

When I watched the video about the laptop giveaway that was the final push for me to go and make an account on the LTT forums. I've heard about them, and I've been watching LTT videos for about a month at this point but I hadn't made an account yet.

Now that I was given that final push to "GO GO, YES MAKE THE ACCOUNT" I check the forums twelve, sixteen, twenty times a day. I don't always post (and as that I see that as an unfair way to judge members). I don't post all too often, but I am constantly reading what ya'll are talking about, taking mental notes, and forming my own opinion whilst trying to learn as much as I can.

I am sure I'm not the only one who has had a similar experience as this.

I feel that if contests were to be judged by the people who have "so many posts are eligible" (Maybe for a LTT Community Fan Prize type situation, sure awesome), but opening up the contests too others will introduce more people like me who are lurkers of the forums, rather then the instigators of conversation.

I also see where you are coming from this, and maybe if they did some larger prizes for those who are ABSOLUTELY involved with the community, that'd be awesome too (speaking of that, time to get more involved  :P )

PC SPECS

AMD FX-6300 - MSI R9 390 8GB - GA-970A-UD3P - EVGA 500B 500W - CORSAIR SPEC-02 - CORSAIR VENGEANCE 8GB (2x4) RAM - CORSAIR FORCE SERIES LS 120 GB SSD

You don't think they know how to check for that and ban those multiple accounts??? That is the first thing any company does when dealing with giveaways. You and everyone else complaining about low post count people being able to enter have to remember there are laws that Linus has to follow. For every single country that Linus allows to participate in the giveaway, that country has it's own set of laws, the laws can also change and become more restrictive based on the individual state the person lives in with in that country.

So unless you know the details of everyone single one of those dozens or hundreds of laws, I suggest you don't make demands as to how Linus runs things. Also keep in mind that these sort of contests exist to specifically help drive traffic to the forums. There can be thousands and thousands of people who watch Linus's vids on Youtube, but never make a forum account. That does not make them any less of a "regular" then someone who makes 100 posts a day on the forums. They still follow Linus and they still help generate revenue for Linus by watching his Youtube videos. Being active on the forums does not make you better than anyone else and it does not make you more deserving of winning a contest over someone else.

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz/ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB @ 1600MHz/EVGA GTX 670 FTW SIG 2/Cooler Master HAF-X

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3591491194

You don't think they know how to check for that and ban those multiple accounts??? That is the first thing any company does when dealing with giveaways. You and everyone else complaining about low post count people being able to enter have to remember there are laws that Linus has to follow. For every single country that Linus allows to participate in the giveaway, that country has it's own set of laws, the laws can also change and become more restrictive based on the individual state the person lives in with in that country.

So unless you know the details of everyone single one of those dozens or hundreds of laws, I suggest you don't make demands as to how Linus runs things. Also keep in mind that these sort of contests exist to specifically help drive traffic to the forums. There can be thousands and thousands of people who watch Linus's vids on Youtube, but never make a forum account. That does not make them any less of a "regular" then someone who makes 100 posts a day on the forums. They still follow Linus and they still help generate revenue for Linus by watching his Youtube videos. Being active on the forums does not make you better than anyone else and it does not make you more deserving of winning a contest over someone else.

I don't know what you are talking about, I am not against 1 post people entering giveaways but I am concerned about the multi-accounts.