Your Abandoned Smartphone May Betray You

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/Your-Abandoned-Smartphone-May-Betray-You-80709.html

Android-iOS-WP7.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Doing a factory reset to wipe the data off smartphones does not work, and the data can be recovered,

warned Avast. The company recovered tons of data, including more than 40,000 stored photographs,

from 20 used Android phones purchased from eBay.Device owners need to overwrite their files to makethem

irretrievable,Avast said,touting one of the applications it offers.“RAM-based memory still uses the same file system as hard drives,

and … PC files do not really get deleted either,” said Stu Sjouwerman, CEO at KnowBe4. 

Both Android and iOS are based on Unix-like operating systems, and both use NAND flash storage, "so it's highly likely" that data on both can be retrieved after it has been deleted, Dave Jevans, founder and CTO of Marble Security.

Very old news. I knew about this a long time ago.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

-snip-

That guy has no clue what he's talking about.

The iOS core is actually SUS certified (minus Cocoa Touch obviously), and Android is not UNIX-like at all. It uses the Linux kernel, but it is not UNIX-like in any other way. Also the OS has nothing to do with how easy it is to wipe data off of it.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4.3 and above has garbage collection AKA TRIM

this will only work in older version of android

and even then u can still  sellit safely there are methods online

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is why I always cover my old phones in peanut butter and feed them to my dog. When will these noobs learn? 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This is why I always cover my old phones in peanut butter and feed them to my dog. When will these noobs learn?

So it's not just your dog that like peanut butter thank goodness I thought mine might be crazy

The only one getting victimized is the person searching for me.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.