"UK lawmakers favor legalization of MP3 and DVD copying"

TopWargamer

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/uk-backpedals-plan-legalize-mp3-dvd-copying-140710/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29

Earlier this year the UK Government promised to legalize the copying of MP3s, CDs and DVDs for personal use, but the changes have yet to pass. The entertainment industry and some lawmakers have voiced concerns over the plan, but the majority appears to be in favor of decriminalizing format shifting.

This very good news indeed! I'm not from the UK, so this doesn't affect me, but I know that a lot of you are, so get excited. It shouldn't have been illegal in the first place. I mean, you OWN that MP3 or DVD or whatever. If you want to make backups of it, then make ups of it. That's my opinion on the matter, and I'm glad that the UK agrees...although this hasn't gone into play yet.

COMIC SANS

Well im happy to be in the UK, this is certainly great news.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Good news, format shifting should be legal everywhere if you own the source material.

You can see by the existance of triple play movies that come boxed with Blu-Ray, DVD and a digital copy straight away to make it easy for the consumer to watch the content however they would like, that it is obviously known that consumers would like more options and should have them or they wouldn't be marketing these.

10531327-1320692630-430079.jpg

ohh well and look what the UN/EU recently made forbidden in the netherlands.

If the UK can pull it off we should ahve it back.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

So, I'd be able to copy all 6 seasons of futurama I have to my PC? I may have to change pants.

*Packs bags and gets a plane ticket*

It's been nice knowing you America, good luck with your "freedom" or what ever you call it!!

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Been copying my stuff for years, with the idea that if i ever get charged i'd try and convince the judge about how stupid the situation is and to set a precedent for allowing us to consume content we purchased as we like.

It's funny how US patriotism often translates to people from the US declaring it to be the no. 1 country in the world, yet when comparing the US to the UK i'm glad I live here. We may not declare ourselves the land of the free, but we certainly end up with more freedom.

To US citizens, I'm mostly joking.

Don't shoot me please

Everything said by me is my humble opinion and nothing more, unless otherwise stated.

Well im happy to be in the UK, this is certainly great news.

I think its awesome news, but I recon the government (the part that thinks its a bad idea/have been paid off by the film industry) will find a way to block it. (my guess they will say its harming the children and it should be stopped.... Hang on they all ready said that,)

*Packs bags and gets a plane ticket*

It's been nice knowing you America, good luck with you "freedom" or what ever you call it!!

The UK is not free, I think your currently better off moving to Canada or at least somewhere with fast internet, no spies or censorship. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I think its awesome news, but I recon the government (the part that thinks its a bad idea/have been paid off by the film industry) will find a way to block it. (my guess they will say its harming the children and it should be stopped.... Hang on they all ready said that,)

The UK is not free, I think your currently better off moving to Canada or at least somewhere with fast internet, no spies or censorship. 

If I was expecting true freedom, I'd move to Antarctica. Until the average human gets their head out of the sand and realizes that none of us are actually free under our current governments, I'll settle for the ability to own the media that I legally paid for. This garbage in the US where we don't own the media we purchase, but 'licence' a copy instead is ridiculous. 

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

In the US you can already copy movies and such for personal use though? so dont move off to UK yet. Right? or am I blatantly wrong and therefor a terrorist because i watch my own movies. 

In the US you can already copy movies and such for personal use though? so dont move off to UK yet. Right? or am I blatantly wrong and therefor a terrorist because i watch my own movies. 

You're both right and wrong. We can legally own backups of movies and other media for personal use. However, it is currently illegal to break the copyright protection placed on the media, basically making it impossible to legally MAKE the copy in the first place. When it comes to 'being a terrorist because you watch your own movies', I wouldn't worry about it because there are hundreds of thousands of us in the same boat as you. This all comes down to matter of perspective, if there is a law that no one obeys and no one enforces, can you truly say the law exists at all?

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             

CPU
               WD Green 2TB

You're both right and wrong. We can legally own backups of movies and other media for personal use. However, it is currently illegal to break the copyright protection placed on the media, basically making it impossible to legally MAKE the copy in the first place. When it comes to 'being a terrorist because you watch your own movies', I wouldn't worry about it because there are hundreds of thousands of us in the same boat as you. This all comes down to matter of perspective, if there is a law that no one obeys and no one enforces, can you truly say the law exists at all?

hum. thats interesting. and the terrorism was a joke:P I guess you can say it does exist, but is irrelevant. 

ohh well and look what the UN/EU recently made forbidden in the netherlands.

If the UK can pull it off we should ahve it back.

I know someone very well who is working on it. My dad.

He is helping bring in a whole new set of unified copyright standards for the European Union.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm pretty sure this was a thing a few months ago...

Yup: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/132860-disk-media-ripping-will-be-legalized-this-summer-on-uk/

Although it does say coming in summer, so it was more of a things to come...

This is the follow up article. :)

Still glad this is a thing though! :D

I suppose they have got to do something to please us after that 'Emergency phone, message and internet data logging law' yesterday. Ugh.  <_<

Sorry buddy better join Al-Qaeda

Joke

This is good though and about time it was made officially legal. Its something a lot of people have been doing for years, hopefully this will stop everyone feel like they are breaking the law when they just want to watch a movie

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I know someone very well who is working on it. My dad.

He is helping bring in a whole new set of unified copyright standards for the European Union.

that is good to hear, hopefully it pays off well and how sooner how better.

in the maintime, we won't do a thing. ;)  :rolleyes: :ph34r:

May the light have your back and your ISO low.