Disk Media Ripping Will Be Legalized This Summer on UK

The UK Government has published a guide informing consumers about an upcoming revision of copyright law which will legalize CD and DVD copying for personal use. The changes go into effect in June, and will also broaden other forms of fair use, including parody and quotation rights.

“You will be permitted to make personal copies to any device that you own, or a personal online storage medium, such as a private cloud. However, it will be illegal to give other people access to the copies you have made, including, for example, by allowing a friend to access your personal cloud storage,” the guide explains.

Besides the new private copying rights, the upcoming amendments will also broaden people’s fair use rights. For example, people no longer have to ask permission to quote from or parody the work of others, such as a news report or a book, as long as it’s “fair dealing” and the source is recognized.

Source: http://torrentfreak.com/uk-dvd-cd-ripping-will-legalized-summer-140328/

Way to go UK, put and end in all this nonsense.

Signatures are stupid.

This is some good legislation...

I also find it kind of ironic that you posted the news from a site that is blocked by some of the UK ISP filters...

I didn't knew that.

But why? It's a news website goddammit.

Signatures are stupid.

And Blu-rays too, right? (add it to the title plz)

I find the thing about sharing it with a friend still being illegal silly. Letting someone borrow your DVDs isn't illegal, is it? 

Same thing aside from the fact that multiple people can watch the video at the same time... but that's legal too, unless it's illegal to watch a movie you bought with a friend. 

... Honestly. This is progress, but still making concessions for stupid laws that shouldn't be as they are. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Wait a minute, this was actually illegal in the UK at one point? The fuck is this? As far as I know, it's been legal in the US for, um, ever.

As for the "fair use rights," I guarantee you that will not stop Degban from having your content removed because of reasons.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

Finally get around to updating the Copyright laws, after optical media is all but redundant. Good Game!

Good for them. if you bought it you should be able to use it on whatever platform you own without having to buy multiple copies.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Good lord why the hell did I read "disk media r@ping" at first?

Anyways, from time to time there a some good legislation out there, brilliant!

Being illegal has made no difference anyway, the people making the laws are so out of touch with the people breaking them that they are almost irrelevant.

Wait a minute, this was actually illegal in the UK at one point? The fuck is this? As far as I know, it's been legal in the US for, um, ever.

As for the "fair use rights," I guarantee you that will not stop Degban from having your content removed because of reasons.

I dont know how this law will work in the UK, but in the US it is illegal to break DRM to make a personal copy.

What if a DVD or other media is protected by copy protection technology?

Media such as DVDs are often protected by anti-copying technology to guard against copyright piracy, and this is protected by law. Copyright owners will still be able to apply this protection. However, if copy protection is too restrictive, you may raise a complaint with the Secretary of State.

This is from the guidelines. It appears that circumventing the copyright protection (DRM) is still illegal technically.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

i was about to post this then i found out somebody else already did......../off topic

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M ||