Running multiple Pumps?

is it possible to run a loop with multiple pumps? wouldnt they hey to be the exact same speed? what if one runs faster it would suck water faster then the first one could pump it ? wouldnt that be like having 2 different speed engines in a car?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

is it possible to run a loop with multiple pumps? wouldnt they hey to be the exact same speed? what if one runs faster it would suck water faster then the first one could pump it ? wouldnt that be like having 2 different speed engines in a car?

it just adds more points of failure in my opinion

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

Its possible, no real benefit in temps as one pump is more then enough flow for your loop, but its nice to have incase one breaks your system will still function. As for the question about different speeds, I'd probably run them at the same speed to be safe but I don't imagine any real damage would come from it.

New PC Build - Build Log - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/276039-project-swift-force/

[spoiler=]

• Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Hero
  • CPU: Intel i7-4790K
  • GPU1: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • GPU2: GIGABYTE G1 GAMING GTX 970 4GB
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red, 16gb (2x8GB) @1600mhz
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W 80+ Gold
  • CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB 7200RPM
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO - 250GB
  • Monitor: Asus PG278Q ROG Swift 27" 144hz G-Sync
  • Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 600 OHM
  • DAC/AMP: Mayflower Objective2 + ODAC Combo
  • Mouse: ROCCAT Kone Pure Optical
  • Keyboard: KBP V60 - Cherry MX Brown

2 pumps at the same speed is being done. there are even things like this to make it more compact: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/pumps-and-accessories/pump-tops/ek-d5-dual-top-g1-4-csq-black-acetal.html you put 2 pumps on this with a single top.

build log: diagonalmod (RIP?)

i know i use many of these: ( ) and these: ... (i really do... (sry...) ) edit: and edits

When you are doing this, be careful to allow all pumps to pump properly and never allow them to be in the situation where there is no liquid to pump. This causes harm to pumps.

Comb it with a brick

my worries exactly but i guess one pump alone would struggle with lets say 6x 480 rads (i know its crazy but thats not the point, im doing it as a projekt so wether or not this is practical or overkill is not subject of discussion)

Its possible, no real benefit in temps as one pump is more then enough flow for your loop, but its nice to have incase one breaks your system will still function. As for the question about different speeds, I'd probably run them at the same speed to be safe but I don't imagine any real damage would come from it.

well how musch rad space would you think is max for one pump?

2 pumps at the same speed is being done. there are even things like this to make it more compact: http://www.ekwb.com/shop/pumps-and-accessories/pump-tops/ek-d5-dual-top-g1-4-csq-black-acetal.html you put 2 pumps on this with a single top.

yeah ive seen those youre right it seems as it has been done but would would be the max for 2 pumps how much rad space could i power with 2 pumps?

When you are doing this, be careful to allow all pumps to pump properly and never allow them to be in the situation where there is no liquid to pump. This causes harm to pumps.

what exactly do you mean? isnt there alway water to pump given there are no airbubbles?

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

IMO just run separate loops than two  pumps in unison. 1 loop for cpu(s) and 1 loop for gpu(s).

Even then I prefer one loop with a strong pump. Keep it simple.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

I think jayztwocents has a video on it

Multiple pumps work together to pump the liquid so I think running one lower than the other would just mean that one is doing more work. If you want to do this worry free, I'd say just buy two of the same pump like two Swiftech PWM MCP-655's and control them at the same time with a Y-splitter on a dual pump top from Bitspower or EK. Don't forget that rads aren't the only things that decide how many pumps you need. So are waterblocks and the amount of fittings and tubing. I can't tell you how much one D5 can push for example. I have seen one D5 on a triple GPU block + 2 480 Rad setup, hopefully this provides a good reference point. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

Yes it is and has been done may times. You can have two pumps in one or two loops if you desire.

Not at all, it promotes redundancy in single loops which is a good thing in watercooling.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

my worries exactly but i guess one pump alone would struggle with lets say 6x 480 rads (i know its crazy but thats not the point, im doing it as a projekt so wether or not this is practical or overkill is not subject of discussion)

well how musch rad space would you think is max for one pump?

What exactly do you plan on cooling with 6 480's? If you have that many components to cool, a dual loop is probably a better option, GPU's in one, CPU in the other. 

What case are you going to buy to fit 6 480s? Nothing besides a caselabs tx-10 comes to mind

It seems like you're either spending money to waste money, or one of those people who asks 50000 questions about high end parts / setups and never actually does anything.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

What exactly do you plan on cooling with 6 480's? If you have that many components to cool, a dual loop is probably a better option, GPU's in one, CPU in the other. 

What case are you going to buy to fit 6 480s? Nothing besides a caselabs tx-10 comes to mind

It seems like you're either spending money to waste money, or one of those people who asks 50000 questions about high end parts / setups and never actually does anything.

the plan was to be able to cool stuff maybe passively. Casewise im gonna build my own on that you can count but youre somewhat right as some of my questions are of theoretical nature im asking those to widen my spectrum and check out different options im obviously not going to follow up on all those but here are the things im definitly going to do in the near future: im gonna move, buy a new mobo and cpu(preferebly with waterblocks available), build a custom case after some renders im doing either out of glass or maybe acrylic because its easier too work with, then finally watercool the whole thing after i filled it up with rad and since im building the case myself i can kind of play around with sizes and ratios too make basicly every piece of equipment work. then im finalkly gonna get a new monitor as prizes will hopefully have dropped at least a little bit. and the last thing im sure of is getting the new nvidia flagship when it comes out and watercoll that too to finish my build

all of this is expensive yes but im not locking for a place to burn my money. a quality case and qtercooling setup will last for years too come so im taking a leap and realize a dream of mine .. sue me. also im not ashamened to say that i do reasonably well in life since i worked hard to get here. 

to sum it up id say yes i do ask a lot of questions some of wich redicoulus and im not gonna act on all of them but im just checking out my ioptions in eaöizing a dream of mine so again .

martinsliquidlab.org has a great article on multiple pumps both in series and in parallel

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT

I have Twin D5 pumps in series mounted in my XSPC Twin D5 bay res. Great flow rates especially with using the external MO RA3. Candidly a single D5 is enough but I wanted to try 2 D5s in series.

5960x-4.4|AsusRE5|16g DDR4-2133|ZOTAC GTX 1080 FE-EK Block|2Smsng 850 EVO 500gb ssds Raid0|2Tb WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 1200W|Thrmltake X9|Custom H20 cooling|Dell U3415W

4790k-4.7|AsusMxVIIH|16g DDR3-2400|EVGA GTX980TI SC-EK Block|Cru M500-240g ssd:500g WD Blk|Win10-64|PC P&C 950W|HAF932Adv|Custom H20 cooling|BenQ BL3200PT