Ubisoft VP Chris Early says resistance to DLC is in decline

CtW

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/04/ubisoft-vp-says-gamers-are-growing-more-comfortable-with-dlc-and-digital/

The Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag "Time Saver" packs aren't expensive—$1 for the Collectibles Pack and $2 for the Resources Pack—but it's the principle of the thing that's so outrageous, at least among those who remember that cheat codes used to be free. Yet according to Ubisoft Vice President of Digital Publishing Chris Early, there was no outrage. "There was no resistance," he told GamesIndustry. "Maybe there were 12 guys somewhere who said something, but whatever. As a whole, there wasn't a problem.

. He said that DLC and season passes are "pretty much accepted" these days, because publishers have been able to make players feel like they enhance the game rather than leave them at a disadvantage if they don't pay for it.

He also touched on what many people see as a potential problem with microtransaction-based games, even though in his eyes it's a positive development.

"I know people who've spent five digits or more of money in Clash of Clans, spending in the tens of thousands of dollars," Early said. "Who would think of that? But nobody's really angry about that. That's how that guy chooses to play, and he's playing against other people of the same caliber, whether they got there through spending hundreds of hours playing the game or tens of thousands of dollars. Good design, that's what it comes down to."

They just keep on digging. While I'm not against the idea of paid DLC, this is just crazy.

If this is a repost or there are formatting issues, please let me know as I'm writing this on mobile.

Edit: Fixed the link

thats quite bad...

and an obligatory ubisoft post gif

Q3OjVSu.gif

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I'm sorry, but I don't believe he knows even someone who has spent 5 digits on Clash of Clans, that is quite ridiculous, but for him to say he knows people who have done this? That's entirely preposterous and I think it's bullshit.

Let's take a look at how I see the DLC/Season Pass situation from a personal perspective, if I observe a certain publisher to be the type who has countless pieces of tiny DLC or who produces seasons passes on the regular and nickel and dimes you for content that is obviously integral to the game before having been seperated for the purpose of creating little paywalls then I will just wait until their game and everything is on Steam for 75% off in one bundle and buy it then if at all.

If a company like CDProjekt for example release a game, I know there will be nothing cut out or a season pass, and I buy the game on day 1 for full price.

If a company like Deep Silver release a game (saints row) I know there will be a billion pieces of DLC and I will wait for it to be $10 for the whole lot before I buy.

If you're selling games to me, you'll make somtetimes 8 to 10 times the amount if you don't try to fragment the product.

And so I guess ubisoft sales will just keep on declining 

They are going to continue doing an "EA". Its liek they blind and jsut keep saying things to re assure themselves that they are fine but in reality the gaming world is getting irritated. Ubisoft's next big move will be single use activation codes. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

What insurance does Ubisoft use again? 

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

I can see where they're coming from, but honestly guys the answer is simple. Just don't pay the money for the games that do that. The gaming industry is largely controlled by us (gamers and tech enthusiasts), this isn't like modular phones where there's millions upon millions of other consumers that aren't as informed. Most gamers are informed to some degree.

We need to make them change. It's up to us, otherwise they'll just keep reaching their hands into our pockets.

I'm sorry, but I don't believe he knows even someone who has spent 5 digits on Clash of Clans, that is quite ridiculous, but for him to say he knows people who have done this? That's entirely preposterous and I think it's bullshit.

Believe it. I know people that have spent that much on mobile games. It's retarded, and I don't know why people do it, but it happens.

Some people just have too much expendable income. I have a few friends that make in excess of $12,000/month. Say they spend $3,000/month on the game because they're addicted and bad with money. That's only a few months until they're within the 5 digit range. Not hard to fathom.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Say they spend $3,000/month on the game because they're addicted and bad with money

If I had $1bn in the bank I would not spend 3k a month on clash of clans I still think it's insane...

This just in: Ubisoft continues to have foot-in-mouth disease. 

People aren't objecting so much to all this DLC crap because there are so many companies doing it and they have been for years now. Of course people won't complain about DLC to Ubisoft for years straight. Of course people buy it. Because 12 year olds are people, and there are lots of them. That doesn't mean we respect you Ubisoft.

5 Digits is he saying that as 10000 or 100.00 ?

Either way its insane for a mobile game.

I understand companies jobs are  to find how to make as much money as possible but that doesn't mean i've to buy your product.

I've been against Season passes since I heard of them.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

If I had $1bn in the bank I would not spend 3k a month on clash of clans I still think it's insane...

You might not, but others do.

So, it happens. It's not bullshit.

Just saying.

People aren't objecting so much to all this DLC crap because there are so many companies doing it and they have been for years now. Of course people won't complain about DLC to Ubisoft for years straight. Of course people buy it. Because 12 year olds are people, and there are lots of them. That doesn't mean we respect you Ubisoft.

Some DLC I'll agree with. Map packs and such. However I think they charge too much for it. $20 for 4 maps that likely come up a couple times a night? Please.

Time based DLC I do not agree with. Like say in an MMO you can carry x amount for x longer. Shit like that would be annoying and not something I'd be cool with having in a game at all.

You shouldn't punish those of us who either can't afford, or aren't hardcore enough to spend that kind of money on something that's not even real.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't think I've ever paid for some DLC, happily taken the free stuff. I don't pay for Clash of Clans or Jurassic Park Builder either. Don't quite know what the hell is going on over at Ubisoft, but the likely hood of me purchasing another one of their games decreases every time they talk poop like this.

Don't know what data they have to back this article up, people who play mobile/tablet games and pay for the in-app content, are not necessary the same people who buy DLC for computer/console games.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Let's take a look at how I see the DLC/Season Pass situation from a personal perspective, if I observe a certain publisher to be the type who has countless pieces of tiny DLC or who produces seasons passes on the regular and nickel and dimes you for content that is obviously integral to the game before having been seperated for the purpose of creating little paywalls then I will just wait until their game and everything is on Steam for 75% off in one bundle and buy it then if at all.

If a company like CDProjekt for example release a game, I know there will be nothing cut out or a season pass, and I buy the game on day 1 for full price.

If a company like Deep Silver release a game (saints row) I know there will be a billion pieces of DLC and I will wait for it to be $10 for the whole lot before I buy.

If you're selling games to me, you'll make somtetimes 8 to 10 times the amount if you don't try to fragment the product.

Not that I believe it is right but I have seen people spend that much on clash of clans. It is true that people do it.

<p> AMD Ryzen 7 5800x l ASUS TUF X570-PLUS l G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series RGB 32GB l Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX

Jesus Christ Ubisoft, if you want to step out of the PC gaming market just say so.

Jump before you're pushed

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

So Ubisoft is still driving down the road to beat EA as worst company of the year? Good to know.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Wait, you can pay to have all hidden stuff found for you?

Isn't that kind of like, paying for the game to complete itself? Are they going to release a 5 dollar DLC which unlocks all achievements for you? Maybe a DLC that makes you max level (*cough* World of Warcraft *cough*).

If they think people will want to pay to get collectibles collected without any effort, why not make collecting them more fun? I liked the hidden packets in Vice City for example. They were a pain in the ass when you had almost all of them, but it was still fun.

It was the same deal with Gold Skulltulas in ocarina of Time. Pain in the ass to find, but satisfying as hell. That's how collectibles should be if you ask me. If some part(s) of your game is so boring that you expect people to be willing to pay in order to skip it, then maybe you shouldn't include it at all.

Ubisoft. Here's a PR tip.

"Ubisoft VP Chris Early says resistance to DLC is in decline"

Do that.

Since apparently your PR department is that clueless that they don't know how to appeal to gamers at all.

Source: http://.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/07/04/ubisoft-vp-says-gamers-are-growing-more-comfortable-with-dlc-and-digital/

The Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag "Time Saver" packs aren't expensive—$1 for the Collectibles Pack and $2 for the Resources Pack—but it's the principle of the thing that's so outrageous, at least among those who remember that cheat codes used to be free. Yet according to Ubisoft Vice President of Digital Publishing Chris Early, there was no outrage. "There was no resistance," he told GamesIndustry. "Maybe there were 12 guys somewhere who said something, but whatever. As a whole, there wasn't a problem.

. He said that DLC and season passes are "pretty much accepted" these days, because publishers have been able to make players feel like they enhance the game rather than leave them at a disadvantage if they don't pay for it.

He also touched on what many people see as a potential problem with microtransaction-based games, even though in his eyes it's a positive development.

"I know people who've spent five digits or more of money in Clash of Clans, spending in the tens of thousands of dollars," Early said. "Who would think of that? But nobody's really angry about that. That's how that guy chooses to play, and he's playing against other people of the same caliber, whether they got there through spending hundreds of hours playing the game or tens of thousands of dollars. Good design, that's what it comes down to."

They just keep on digging. While I'm not against the idea of paid DLC, this is just crazy.

If this is a repost or there are formatting issues, please let me know as I'm writing this on mobile.

Do these Ubisoft clowns not have people governing their idiocy when they open their mouths? Why would they even word it this way, or even say anything about DRM or DLC? Ubisoft has got the dumbest freakin PR department in the world. 

image.jpg?w=400&c=1

Uh ok. Thanks Ubisoft. I have no idea WHY any game maker would make this statement, but this will totally make me want to buy games from you and support the company. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

This is starting to get me really upset. Most of my games are from Ubisoft since I love the company. They do make good games but if they keep their shit up about microtransactions I will never buy another game again because thats just a pay to win or an pay to have something other people have when they dont have money. I for one do not buy DLCs much since I really dont care about them unless they make sense like Skyrim where it adds more to the story of the game and still gives you more than 1 hour of game play. A DLC should give you more than 4 hours of game play for the campaign for the price they want to sell you it. I never buy DLCs and nor will I ever unless its actually good and new instead of a new skin on a gun or something like that. I do play CoC and I have never spent money on it but I have a few friends that spent maybe $10 on it for more gems.. I can just keep going on a rant but I'm not sober enough to care.

Good bye Ubisoft, you have been a nice company in the past.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Video games are an art-form more so then any other media in my opinion but the way the industry is going it will just end up like Hollywood films. They lack soul. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Unfortunately, there is some truth in what this guy states. DLC was first outrageos, especially day one DLC but our resistance has been worn down. We simply don't care and accept it for what it is. Take a look at BF4 for example, a possible extreme case where the DLC was worth more than the game! I personally won't buy a game with DLC or even support a publisher who does the same in extreme cases, but once again, I do agree with what he says. :(