To Ati or not to Ati !

Popple2000

Hey guys, question for ya'll.

I was running 2 GTX 460's in SLI until my trusty Gigabyte 460 let go the other day. 

That being said, I am now feeling the pinch with only 1 460 pushing my games now.

I have noticed a HUGE amount of Ati cards  - 280x, 290's( mainly what im looking at ) for sale on used sites all over the place for anywhere from 200-350$.

I have been burned by Ati in the past with their drivers and am nervous about venturing back into the red zone.

I come here not to start a red vs green debate but to find out if a used R9 290 for example would be ok to buy or should I just pick up a GTX 760 and wait for the 800 series from Nvidia to finally show it's face.

The main card I am currently looking at is a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC, I would hope to get it in the 300$ range.

Thanks in advance !

AMD. ATI lost its name years ago.

yup back in 2006

OP: even a single 280 or 280X is a great upgrade over your current sli setup 

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

They changed the name to AMD.

I am aware, however I can't seem to change my title :P

Plus this will get me more traffic from people coming in to correct me ;)

AMD, not ATI

Do not buy a used AMD video card because 90% of the time it has been used for mining.

There is a good chance it will fail in a couple years, if not in a couple months.

If you really want to risk $300 then go ahead, but you probably will regret it soon after...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

this will get me more traffic from people coming in to correct me ;)

son of a bitch that's why I'm here :angry:

Hey guys, question for ya'll.

I was running 2 GTX 460's in SLI until my trusty Gigabyte 460 let go the other day. 

That being said, I am now feeling the pinch with only 1 460 pushing my games now.

I have noticed a HUGE amount of Ati cards  - 280x, 290's( mainly what im looking at ) for sale on used sites all over the place for anywhere from 200-350$.

I have been burned by Ati in the past with their drivers and am nervous about venturing back into the red zone.

I come here not to start a red vs green debate but to find out if a used R9 290 for example would be ok to buy or should I just pick up a GTX 760 and wait for the 800 series from Nvidia to finally show it's face.

The main card I am currently looking at is a Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC, I would hope to get it in the 300$ range.

Thanks in advance !

I'll recommend AMD more than Nvidia. The AMD drivers got a lot better compared the ATI era. That 290 is a solid choice. Go for it.

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

no advice ? :)

Yeah sure, buy a brand new 280X and wait for 800 series before committing more cash.

The 280X is a great card and it's within your budget, I would avoid buying used AMD cards right now as a lot of people are still breaking obsolete mining setups and you could be looking at a card that's been overclocked and flogged for months on end at max load.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

Yeah sure, buy a brand new 280X and wait for 800 series before committing more cash.

The 280X is a great card and it's within your budget, I would avoid buying used AMD cards right now as a lot of people are still breaking obsolete mining setups and you could be looking at a card that's been overclocked and flogged for months on end at max load.

I thank you for your input :)

On the topic of the 280x - 200$ for a used Gigabyte 280x ( seller says his mining operation never happened so the cards are still new )

Would you still suggest to stay away from them ?  If I was going to buy a new 280x, would I be better off just buying a 760 and stay on team green ?

My leaning towards amd atm is simply due to the pricing of their used cards.

Thanks again.

AMD, not ATI

Do not buy a used AMD video card because 90% of the time it has been used for mining.

There is a good chance it will fail in a couple years, if not in a couple months.

If you really want to risk $300 then go ahead, but you probably will regret it soon after...

hey this is probs not accurate, I doubt a card thats been used for mining is going to fail any more than a card that was used for gaming.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

On the topic of the 280x - 200$ for a used Gigabyte 280x ( seller says his mining operation never happened so the cards are still new )

Would you still suggest to stay away from them ?  If I was going to buy a new 280x, would I be better off just buying a 760 and stay on team green ?

Thanks again.

You sound like you'd be happer with the 760 and if that's the case go with that.

To be honest the fact that he has mentioned mining is suspicious, unless the card is new/sealed I don't believe him.

Thanks again.

A used R9 290 or 280x is going to perform better than a 760. If you're looking at a 280x might as well look at a 290 because the 290's are pretty cheap. If you want to be sure of a working card, buy one off a forum like this or here: http://www.overclock.net/f/14779/video

I've bought 2 290x's from eBay, both of which were used to mine. I had issues with one but sapphire took care of it ($20 RMA fee since it was 2nd hand) but the one I'm using now is a beauty. They're reference too :P just make sure they come with the manufacturer warranty if you do buy one 2nd hand

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

hey this is probs not accurate, I doubt a card thats been used for mining is going to fail any more than a card that was used for gaming.

Yeah it is.

A consumer graphics card is meant to be used in a consumer PC playing consumer games. Not running 24/7 at 100% load doing massive calculations for months or even years, at temperatures above 80C.

MANY people have bought these used AMD graphics cards and experienced artefacting several months after purchase, or have their GPU just die. I think it's not worth the risk...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You sound like you'd be happer with the 760 and if that's the case go with that.

To be honest the fact that he has mentioned mining is suspicious, unless the card is new/sealed I don't believe him.

Well, depends if I had any of the driver/memory/heat issues with the amd cards i've been reading about I suppose.

He said that they have been opened but only for testing to make sure they worked ( im sceptical since he got them in January ) 6 months seems like a long time to sit on 30 cards.

A used R9 290 or 280x is going to perform better than a 760. If you're looking at a 280x might as well look at a 290 because the 290's are pretty cheap. If you want to be sure of a working card, buy one off a forum like this or here: http://www.overclock.net/f/14779/video

Thanks for your input and link

I've bought 2 290x's from eBay, both of which were used to mine. I had issues with one but sapphire took care of it ($20 RMA fee since it was 2nd hand) but the one I'm using now is a beauty. They're reference too :P just make sure they come with the manufacturer warranty if you do buy one 2nd hand

Thanks for the tips !  Did Sapphire give you any trouble having not been the initial purchaser ?

Thanks for the tips ! Did Sapphire give you any trouble having not been the initial purchaser ?

Nope not at all! Really simple too. Same process except there is the $20 processing fee. Other than that very very good service!

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm