"Plex" is free in the Amazon app store right now

TopWargamer

what's plex do?

in tl;dr format

Media server. It stream music/movies/photos to every possible devices. They got an app for pretty much everything... It's great.

It's media server software.

https://plex.tv/

Media server. It stream music/movies/photos to every possible devices. They got an app for pretty much everything... It's great.

Is this local streaming or over internet?

Error: 410

Both I think? I know it's definitely local. Not sure about over the Internet though...

COMIC SANS

what's plex do?

in tl;dr format

The app itself lets you stream directly to your device (phone, tablet, etc). 

The plugin Plex Media Server streams media to devices while transcoding them. Like, I have my media in .mkv format, but it will transcode it to .mp4 or wtv my device takes and to a good resolution for it (i.e. 720p for phones, 1080p for tvs, etc) on the fly as it plays. Which is pretty sweet. It also auto-downloads data for your media such as posters, cast, and other general media regarding the content. 

It's kind of 10 cases of awesome.

Either or. 

Plex allows you to share your library with other Plex users. It's limited by your upload speed though, but it can stream locally or over the internet. i.e. if you are on Plex, and I share my library with you, it's like Steam sharing, except you stream the content from my house over the internet to your device.

Plex is awesome. It has support for Chromecast, Roku, and many other Media center type devices.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Both. You can use your ip to connect or just login and they'll find the server for you... 

It's installed on my main PC at home. From there, I can stream to my iPad, Windows Phone, Macbook, etc... I have access to all of my stuff from everywhere. There's also channels like Revision5, Ted Talks, Youtube, etc so you can watch stuff other than yours.

You can send things from your phone to another player. Like airPlay if you will... but from any device to any other. There's a remote mode to just control a device without sending a feed, 

If you pay for the Plex Pass, you can sync content for offline viewing. Great way to transfert music and videos on the fly (it get transcoded for the device). 

hmmm .... i just use FTP or windows homegroup to stream all my stuff

cant seem to know what this is good for since free alternatives exist

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Just got it, many thanks!

I love my Kindle Fire.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Not sure if I care... but it is free so why not. Thanks for sharing. :)

Plex is the same thing as XBMC, its a software that allows you to organize and watch your movies on your PC in an organized manor. Both programs are very good.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Plex is the same thing as XBMC, its a software that allows you to organize and watch your movies on your PC in an organized manor. Both programs are very good.

Does XBMC transcode on the fly? From what I understand, that's what makes Plex so epic. I don't know much about XBMC though.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Does XBMC transcode on the fly? From what I understand, that's what makes Plex so epic. I don't know much about XBMC though.

Not yet, but they are working on getting transcoding into XBMC.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I actually just got my Nexus 7 yesterday and was really disappointed that the Plex app wasn't free, then this showed up in my notifications. Thanks  :D

It's actually too much hassle for me to sign up for Amazon and "buy" it, lol

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

Sweet, I've been using serviio as my server and while it works fine with my tv, my phone is finicky. I'll keep using it for my tv unless I can find a plex app, but for my phone this hopefully will make things seemless both home and away from home. 

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

How long is it free? I needs to know!

The year is 20XX. Everyone plays Fox at TAS levels of perfection. Because of this, the winner of a match depends solely on port priority. The RPS metagame has evolved to ridiculous levels due to it being the only remaining factor to decide matches.

Only Abate, Axe, and Wobbles can save us.

Crap, i still don't have my android phone, is there any way for me to secure the purchase before the offer runs out?

Crap, i still don't have my android phone, is there any way for me to secure the purchase before the offer runs out?

As far as I can tell, since it's on Amazon, you'd get it there and then just download it to your Android whenever you want.  The app would be tied to your Amazon account.

This is awesome! Just got it on my phone and installed the server on my Debian NAS (took like 30 seconds https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/32852-plex-media-server-debian-repository/ && http://laurendc.net/2014/04/07/set-up-plex-media-server-on-debian-wheezy-7-4/ ) works very well. Never heard of this program before today. Thanks!

hmmm .... i just use FTP or windows homegroup to stream all my stuff

cant seem to know what this is good for since free alternatives exist

The server is free as is the client for Windows, Linux etc. It's just the Android and iOS apps that cost a little money.

While FTP and network sharing is fine for PC to PC. Plex and XBMC are both amazing for Home Cinema / TV use.

My media is stored on my NAS, the Plex server scrapes all the meta info from imdb (or whatever) and uses that to both organise the media and to display information such as movie artwork / posters, actors, directors etc. It will update automagically when anything is added to the selected libraries.

The Android app lets you browse your media by TV show / Films, you can arrange it by recently released, rating, genre, director, watched / unwatched etc. Each film or show will have a brief synopsis and posters / artwork. You can stream directly to your device, or you can use the app as a remote for any other Plex enabled device on the network.

So for example, I have my NAS set to automatically receive the new Game of Thrones when it comes out. As soon as it starts to download, Plex will refresh and download the media info. When I want to watch it, I just browse to 'recently aired' TV shows on the app, and then play it on my TV via Chromecast. Even without the app, I can just go to the DLNA client on my TV browse the Plex server, the same organisational structure works via DLNA.