might put CyanogenMod on my HTC one (M7), beginners tips?

Zohan2000

thinking about ROOTing my HTC one (M7) with CyanogenMod but bit worried that i might ruin the phone, are there any tips and recommendations before hand? anyway of making a backup in case something goes wrong so i can revert back to it? and also, is doing this reversible? just as a precaution if i dont like CyanogenMod and want to go back to how i had it before

there are so many tutorials on YT and guides online it's practically childs play,

yes it is very easy to restore to default using htc's own mobile software,

there are many ways to backup your stuff, titanium backup is well known,

I would be impressed if you managed to ruin your phone. 

Always backup before installing a ROM, you can do it through a custom recovery (which you'll need for the installation process anyway), such as CWM or TWRP.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

Following because I was considering doing this as well. Let us know how it turns out.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

Well after doing a bit of research i found a delete guide to fellow and will be doing the root once im more awake lol, whats some good things to get on cyanogenmod?

currently trying to download and install CyanogenMod and its not wanting to cooperate, the windows installer part keeps looping at the "Downloading System Applications" think ill make a post on the CyanogenMods forums and if it keeps happening then ill just forget about it and stick to HTC sense :/

there are so many tutorials on YT and guides online it's practically childs play,

yes it is very easy to restore to default using htc's own mobile software,

there are many ways to backup your stuff, titanium backup is well known,

I would be impressed if you managed to ruin your phone.

You said it would be childs play but ive had nothing but troubles

What troubles are you having? I've done CyanogenMod on a lot of phones so if you never need help with it or a step by step lemme know

"Rawr XD"

Have you used xda forums??

Back

Up

Everything!

Dream-phone: USB type-c (3.1), 1440p, 5-inch, removable battery, 32gb RAMdrive, sd card slot, stock Android, transparent atomic purple build, 9050 mah battery, waterproof AF, nuclear powered, ac wifi is fine.
                           OR a one-of-a-kind iphone that runs Android.

im too lazy to type it all out so heres the post i made on their forum

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/96376-having-issues-installing-the-mod-on-my-htc-one-m7/page__st__20

I wouldn't use the installer. It had lots of problems even installing on my Nexus 5 which is pretty much the star of the show over at CyanogenMod. Most assured way is to do it yourself.

1. Unlock your bootloader

2. Flash custom recovery

3. Make a nandroid backup (it's not as necessary as everybody makes it seem, but it saves you the hassle of having to find and download an RUU)

4. Wipe and flash CyanogenMod

"Rawr XD"

i finally got it installed and working, is there anyway to restore the apps i had or do i have to redownload them? and how can i get my contacts and messages back also?

Literally the best piece of advice: Go to XDA and find the section for your device and read all of the threads.