Netgear announces the Nighthawk X6 AC3200 (aka the ant router, not spider)

AlexGoesHigh

ok so this router is an effing beast of all sorts in both feature, design and ofc price, its best characteristic is a dual 5ghz band setup, meaning the band will no longer be limited by the slower device on the network according to netgear but for me its best feature is that when you flip it over it looks like a spider ant i mean, 6 legs vs 8 is a big difference :P

twZmbG9.jpg

amiright? anyways here's the details

According to Netgear marketing director Sandeep Harpalani, almost 20 percent of homes surveyed have nine or more active wifi connected devices, which the company expects to increase considerably in the next year and beyond. The X6 will serve this growing audience by virtue of what Netgear is billing the first tri-band router.

The concept behind tri-band routing is simple. In addition to the now standard 2.4 Ghz radio and faster (but shorter-ranged) 5Ghz radios found in the Nighthawk, the Nighthawk X6 features an additional 5Ghz band. Typically, routers become bandwidth limited based on the slowest device on each radio, leading to a precipitous drop in transfer speeds for faster devices connected on the same band. The Nighthawk X6's third radio, along with its dual core processor, allow the router to intelligently delegate different devices to each of its different bands based on their maximum speeds, which in turn cuts down on the slowing effect older devices can have on a network.

Put simply: the cell phones and tablets in use frequently have slower wireless speeds than dedicated PCs, laptops and video game consoles, and having them all on the same wireless band can slow a network to a fraction of its theoretical maximum. For gamers living alone or with just one other person, this isn't much of an issue. For crowded roommate situations or moderately sized families or larger, though, the Nighthawk X6 may be just the thing.

That particular consumer will be paying a premium for the X6's improved service. The Nighthawk launched at an eye-opening $199.99 USD MSRP, and if that seemed steep, you may want to sit down. The Nighthawk X6 will launch in mid-July with an MSRP of $299.99. In every respect other than its tri-band radio, the X6 looks to be a match for the already-launched Nighthawk, the R7000. Harpalani says that the same performance and range that made the Nighthawk so impressive will be present in the X6. For existing Nighthawk customers, the X6 will likely be an unnecessary upgrade.

source: Polygon, yes polygon reported this, and i have no idea why

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Except all consumer networking gear is pretty much junk because of crap firmware as there's hardly any markup on the hardware as it is and even this thing can't properly handle a busy network with a 500/150 internet speed.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I dont know why u guys complain we have had $300 routers for ages also i think id rather spend money on a Ubiquiti router from the experience wendell and linus have.

Except all consumer networking gear is pretty much junk because of crap firmware as there's hardly any markup on the hardware as it is and even this thing can't properly handle a busy network with a 500/150 internet speed.

These can run custom firmware like DD-WRT.

These can run custom firmware like DD-WRT.

DD-WRT for most routers is a broken generic build made for 10 different routers with similar specs and DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato aren't that fantastic anyway, There's no replacement for quality high capacity networking gear with proper software that fundamentally routes traffic properly which why I built a pfSense router with a quad Gigabit Intel NIC with Link aggregation (trunking) to my Cisco SG300-28 switch with three D-Link DAP-2695 wireless APs.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Spiders have 8 legs. That's an ant.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Exactly! When have you seen a 6 legged spider? I know they exist but that's only because they've usually lost them somehow.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Exactly! When have you seen a 6 legged spider? I know they exist but that's only because they've usually lost them somehow.

fixed, that a huge difference that i had to clarify, though biology was one of my worst classes on my day :P

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

fixed, that a huge difference that i had to clarify, though biology was one of my worst classes in my day :P

Go back to school dude! :P (joking)

fixed, that a huge difference that i had to clarify, though biology was one of my worst classes on my day :P

And before you make a fool of yourself again in the future, a spider is not an insect, but rather an arachnid.

Excuse me @AlexGoesHigh, what exactly are you high on? :P

And before you make a fool of yourself again in the future, a spider is not an insect, but rather an arachnid.

ahh ffs i'm not a biologist leave me alone D: /jk

Excuse me @AlexGoesHigh , what exactly are you high on?  :P

a secret mix of some very shady stuff that you don't even know that exist  :ph34r:

Jeez guys it's semantics haha. Didn't mean to start shit >_>

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.