1 Gig GTX460's Still worth it??

HemiPhenom955

Prove it.

1GB cards can run Tomb Raider just fine. It would be a big mistake if they did not. I have a 1GB card and it runs the game just fine sans Tress FX.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

1GB cards can run Tomb Raider just fine. It would be a big mistake is they did not. I have a 1GB card and it runs the game just fine sans Tress FX.

At what frame rate?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

At what frame rate?

Let me check right now LOL.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Let me check right now LOL.

Fine.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Fine.

in the 40s if I remember correctly. sans TressFX and maybe AA turned down otherwise maxed out.

Well I am back and so the game tuns maxed out minus SSAA and tressFX off and it completely smooth with over 35 to 40fps.

in the 40s if I remember correctly. sans TressFX and maybe AA turned down otherwise maxed out.

Playable, but certainly not 60FPS.

Playable, but certainly not 60FPS.

Never said 60fps. 7970 can't get 60 fps maxed out with tress FX plus 4x SSAA in that game.

Never said 60fps. 7970 can't get 60 fps maxed out with tress FX plus 4x SSAA in that game.

How much VRAM was consumed in your little supposed run-through?

sorry i missed this, but this is what i mean, i think you will only have an issue with an SLI setup.

Yeah, I mean the only time that would be an issue is if you had an SLI setup.

Tomb Raider even below 1080p uses more than 1GB of VRAM.

Also, I said something wrong, It does not use under 600mb of vram, I didn't take account of windows, when i run most games with a more accurate meter, the games I tried (crysis, BL2, FC3) use up to 800mb of vram. I think that the 550Ti does warrant 1gb of vram, since I'm pushing over 768mb right now.

It's all about balance and consoles are very balanced and the developers optimize and tailor make the code just for the console so it's highly optimized. Look at the Xbox hardware imagine trying to run with that hardware on a PC it would not even run Half Life 2 a 30fps @ 720P but because the code is optimized to run on the console it runs fine. Ports from consoles always are a mess.

1GB Vram for SLI GTX 460 is balanced imo because the graphics cores run out of steam around the same time the framebuffer fills up.

Try taking a 7800 GT and play HL2 on it, it will run 720p @60fps. I had a GeForce 6600 that would run HL2 fine at 1280x1024 which is higher than 720p.

Prove it.

Someone can define a game that runs @10fps playable. It depends on the person and thier preferences. You cannot prove playability 

Old shit no one cares about but me.

How much VRAM was consumed in your little supposed run-through?

about 980mb

Someone can define a game that runs @10fps playable. It depends on the person and thier preferences. You cannot prove playability 

No one will define a 10FPS game as playable. That is ridiculous and absolutely impossible.

about 980mb

GPU load?

GPU load?

99%

No one will define a 10FPS game as playable. That is ridiculous and absolutely impossible.

In your opinion. There is an old arcade game called "Check Mate" that is basically a snake game, it runs at a very very low framerate. Its still playable.

Your opinions of frame rates may differ from others.

In your opinion. There is an old arcade game called "Check Mate" that is basically a snake game, it runs at a very very low framerate. Its still playable.

Your opinions of frame rates may differ from others.

2D or 3D? If 2D, it's probably not too exotic compared to something like Battlefield 3, where FPS matters a lot.

2D or 3D? If 2D, it's probably not too exotic compared to something like Battlefield 3, where FPS matters a lot.

I used to play HL2 with sub 20 FPS on my wussy laptop. I played the shit out of it. I thought it was playable.

anyway, that 10fps thing was an extreme example some people would consider 30fps is not playable, some do. Its all opinion.

My VRAM usage just for Borderlands 2:

Capture_zps16af4eb0.jpg

Resolution:

ewfwefew_zps12d7d64d.jpg

My VRAM usage just for Borderlands 2:

Capture_zps16af4eb0.jpg

Resolution:

ewfwefew_zps12d7d64d.jpg

Borderlands 2 was on the low side for me to, using to about 400mb max, but Crysis and FC3 used up to about 800mb

Borderlands 2 was on the low side for me to, using to about 400mb max, but Crysis and FC3 used up to about 800mb

Ya Tomb Raider uses about 980mb for me on 1680x1050.

Usually it's low, but that's the only game I played today.

BF3 - 1433MB VRAM peak

Bioshock Infinite - 1628MB VRAM peak

Tomb Raider - 1213MB VRAM peak

Far Cry 3 - 1589MB VRAM peak

1080p on a GTX 680 ^

In all of these situations anyone with 1GB VRAM would've seen drops, which doesn't make for a smooth experience. So can you please explain to me how 1GB VRAM is fine for 1080p gaming? Because as far as I can see, it's not.

it depend what settings, how much aa is used before you see those numbers : )

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

I would like you to run Tomb Raider with a bunch of HD youtube videos open in the background, they consuming 500mb, then report the framerates, and tell me is not dropping :/

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I would like you to run Tomb Raider with a bunch of HD youtube videos open in the background, they consuming 500mb, then report the framerates, and tell me is not dropping :/

why would anyone want to do that?

Intel I7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, Asetek 510 LC Xtremegear liquid cooling system, PALIT GTX 780 Super Jetstream OC, 8Gb Kingston Hyper X blu series 1600mhz, 64Gb Crucial M4 series SATA III Gaming MLC SSD, 1TB Western Digital HDD 6.0gb/s,  Asus P8z68-v Pro Motherboard, Corsair Vengance K90 Keyboard,950Watt Cyberpower PSU, Cyborg RAT 5 ,  Coolermaster CM 690II case, Dell Ultrasharp U2412M 1920 x 1200

That's an unrealistic scenario.

A realistic scenerio for me is playing a game, say Far Cry 3, or Crysis, then watching a video like Linus's stream @480p in the backgroung. Surprisingly, there is little to no slowdown.