1 Gig GTX460's Still worth it??

HemiPhenom955

Hi all just a little topic of conversation,,

The Birthday gods were good to me this year, the Wife got Me the MSI Twinfrozer 2Gig GTX680!!!

So i thought i would see Just how much better it was compared to my SLI'd 460's.

Well in Retrospect,, the SLI'd 1Gig GTX460 is Still Quite the Performer.

In 3DMark Vantage at 1920X1080 with Extreme setting the Results were:

Evga GTX460 EE's In SLI~ X14316 Score.

MSI GTX680 Twin Frozer 2Gig~  (Get This)  X17980.

So You be the Judge,, Are they Still a Stout card to SLI??

I say Yes.

Yup they are still great value and performer which is more than we can say about the 680 LOL.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

the 1 gig amount of ram is probably the limiting factor. but for a low end solution they would be GREAT. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

the 1 gig amount of ram is probably the limiting factor. but for a low end solution they would be GREAT. 

Nope for 1080P they are perfect and being that SLI GTX 460 is not powerful enough for HD+ gaming then it is perfect.

Antec 100, Msi 870 G45, Asus Xonar DGX, Creative Inspire T10 2.0, Creative Sound Blaster Tactic 3D, 4gb Corsair ram, Gigabyte HD 7850, AMD Phenom II x4 B55 @ 3.6Ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212+, 500GB WD Caviar Black, Cooler Master RX 460, Samsung SyncMaster 226bw

Nope for 1080P they are perfect and being that SLI GTX 460 is not powerful enough for HD+ gaming then it is perfect.

thats what im saying, but the 1 gig is slowly getting to be too little. so it wont last to much longer for most games.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

thats what im saying, but the 1 gig is slowly getting to be too little. so it wont last to much longer for most games.

It's fine for 1080P gaming. Do we need to go through this again in where I provide facts from the pro review publications ?

It's fine for 1080P gaming. Do we need to go through this again in where I provide facts from the pro review publications ?

okay what ever you are right. just quit picking fights with everyone please. its great that you are trying to help people but you always sound so off putting in that respect. im sorry but its not fun to be on the receiving end of your arguments.

okay what ever you are right. just quit picking fights with everyone please. its great that you are trying to help people but you always sound so off putting in that respect. im sorry but its not fun to be on the receiving end of your arguments.

It's hard to play extra nice when some people are continually spreading misinformation even when facts are displayed that they are in correct.

It's hard to play extra nice when some people are continually spreading misinformation even when facts are displayed that they are in correct.

when did I give mis information? i just said that 1gb gpu is getting cut out soon. no matter what you say it WILL happen, no matter what technology advances and eventually it wont be enough. and its happening faster than some people think, maybe not in a year or two but most definitely in the next 5 years.

when did I give mis information? i just said that 1gb gpu is getting cut out soon. no matter what you say it WILL happen, no matter what technology advances and eventually it wont be enough. and its happening faster than some people think, maybe not in a year or two but most definitely in the next 5 years.

Well even when proven wrong some people still stick t there opinions. You gave misinformation when you tryied to say that 1GB  HD 7850 is much slower than 2GB HD 7850. Every professional review publication that benchmark and reviewed the 1GB HD 7850 proved you guys are wrong.

Well even when proven wrong some people still stick t there opinions.

believe me i know what you mean, but you cant just assume everyone is like that. I'm willing to say im wrong if they actually prove me wrong. :)

Well even when proven wrong some people still stick t there opinions. You gave misinformation when you tryied to say that 1GB  HD 7850 is much slower than 2GB HD 7850. Every professional review publication that benchmark and reviewed the 1GB HD 7850 proved you guys are wrong.

BF3  - 1433MB VRAM peak

Bioshock Infinite - 1628MB VRAM peak

Tomb Raider - 1213MB VRAM peak

Far Cry 3 - 1589MB VRAM peak

1080p on a GTX 680 ^

In all of these situations anyone with 1GB VRAM would've seen drops, which doesn't make for a smooth experience. So can you please explain to me how 1GB VRAM is fine for 1080p gaming? Because as far as I can see, it's not.

believe me i know what you mean, but you cant just assume everyone is like that. I'm willing to say im wrong if they actually prove me wrong. :)

Well the links proved their opinions incorrect but most did not even bother to read the reviews and take a look at the benchmark numbers. Instead they continually debated there own personal opinions without considering the facts.

Well the links proved their opinions incorrect but most did not even bother to read the reviews and take a look at the benchmark numbers. Instead they continually debated there own personal opinions without considering the facts.

ya people are like that sometimes, i just ignore them though :p

BF3  - 1433MB VRAM peak

Bioshock Infinite - 1628MB VRAM peak

Tomb Raider - 1213MB VRAM peak

Far Cry 3 - 1589MB VRAM peak

1080p on a GTX 680 ^

In all of these situations anyone with 1GB VRAM would've seen drops, which doesn't make for a smooth experience. So can you please explain to me how 1GB VRAM is fine for 1080p gaming? Because as far as I can see, it's not.

LOL I got the facts that say BF3 performance the same on 2GB 7850 and 1GB 7850. Your opinion is not valid when the fact are present.

ya people are like that sometimes, i just ignore them though :P

When most of the forum get filled with this sort of unscientific and plain ignorant attitudes it will become a fail. I am trying my best to keep these forums filled with facts even if they are not popular belief at the time.

LOL I got the facts that say BF3 performance the same on 2GB 7850 and 1GB 7850. Your opinion is not valid when the fact are present.

Okay, so in ONE game they didn't get a VRAM spike, was the test even contucted in MP? This is not my opinion, I am showing facts, I monitored the VRAM usage in all of these games and not one stayed below 1024MB at ALL times.

I have a 1gb 550 Ti, and i usually run games @1080p with most settings High/very high and medium/high on the newest of games, and I never seem to pass 500mb. I don't see games @1080p and high/very high settings using over 1gb for the next year at least.  Its probably a different story at resolutions higher than 1080p.

Old shit no one cares about but me.

ya people are like that sometimes, i just ignore them though :P

Jeez,, did i start a Cat fight??

Y'all need to shut the Frak up,,

It was a simple observation.

"Conversation" and "Debate" are to different things,,

I Frakin know the 1Gig cards are slowly loosing favor,, so isnt 1080P Gaming.

I dont have a suround setup,, all i have is a 24 Inch LCD,,, 1080P is What i use!!

Now stop pissing on eachother and stay on Topic.

I dont have a suround setup,, all i have is a 24 Inch LCD,,, 1080P is What i use!!

I didnt start this and we were just having a debate. it happens a lot on this forum sadly.

We were not even arguing LOL.

Says who ? I got the links to professional sources plus my own experience that says there is no tangible detrimental performance impact to cards that are running a single 1080P monitor or lower rez on 1GB Vram.

Freeman, You've been reported a number of times, expect an admin to get into touch with you.  Those links use outdated drivers, biased reviews and inaccurate results.  We've proven this several times yet you keep refusing to acknowledge it.  I even ran a test with an HD 7850 2GB @ 1050/1450 to prove it and a lot of these newer games @ 1080p are eating around 1.5GB of Vram...  Now please stop...

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7790-bonaire-performance,3462-4.html

1GB version has terrible FPS range on medium settings, which is directly linked to the Vram buffer.  I can run high settings in similar FPS with a 2GB version...

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Freeman, You've been reported a number of times, expect an admin to get into touch with you.  Those links use outdated drivers, biased reviews and inaccurate results.  We've proven this several times yet you keep refusing to acknowledge it.  I even ran a test with an HD 7850 2GB @ 1050/1450 to prove it and a lot of these newer games @ 1080p are eating around 1.5GB of Vram...  Now please stop...

Well I did my best to give an accurate and true representation of how the 1GB HD 7850 performed in the benchmarks that all the professional publications that tested the card ran it through. I am sorry if they are not up to your standard.