4670k + H80i = 99 C @ 4.5 GHz?

Hi,

New to overclocking, and trying to figure out if theres something wrong with my setup.

When doing Prime95 (max Heat) im getting DTS readings of 99 C in HWiNFO.

At Idle: 35C.

Using these settings:

CPU VRIN Override LLC: Set to Extreme
CPU VRIN Override Voltage: 1.8v
VCore: 1.30v
Ring Voltage: 1.15v
CPU Multiplier: 45x
BCLK: Auto
Turbo: Auto

Hardware:

Corsair 750D with all fans in place

H80i

Are these results normal, or is something fishy going on?

Edit: As a newbie on this forum, i've realised this thread is probably in the wrong sub-forum.

Im sorry about that!

Hello and welcome to the fourm. Enjoy your stay.

While the H80i isn't a great cooler and you used quite a lot of Voltage for your overclock that seems to be incorrect. Haswell CPU start to throttle and then shut down once they hit 98 degrees Celsius.  (Also prime 95 sucks more V than you have set it at. That's bad) 

Welcome

Stop using P95, I know it says it's all good. But nah, use AIDA64 for much more realistic temps and load

Oh and Extreme LLC is almost never required. You can easily lower your load temps by reducing the amount of LLC. But you may end up unstable... more tweaking required.

You may just have a not-so-good CPU

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

You may possibly have a bad mount, though your idle temps are good.

Use CPU-Z and check what your voltage is under load. I suspect your aggressive LLC settings might be to blame.

Use OCCT, Aida, or IBT, not prime.

Error: 410

Also, do you NEED 1.3 volts for 4.5? Try with 1.2 with lower LLC

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I do not think that voltage is too unreasonable for 4.5ghz for a haswell chip if you got a below average one, however it is probably out of AIO range.  So I assume you could not get your cpu stable at any lower voltage? If you have gone straight to 1.3v I would definitely scale it back to 1.25v and test. To ascertain the OC headroom of your haswell chip Asus recommends that you start with x45 multi and 1.2v. See if it boots and bump voltage as needed from there.

Thank you for all the answers! Massive help!

I havent tried anything lower than 1.3V yet, but I will try lowering the voltage as you mentioned. Is there risk of damages If going too low voltage while pushing the clock, or will it just shut down and reboot? 

Also, i promise to scrap Prime95.

I'll be back later with new results!

No, no problems with too low voltage, if you go over 1.35, it will be a problem...

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

Use Intel Burn Test V2. 

You're simply OC'ing too hard for a h80i to deal with.

I have read reports of people getting 4.7 GHz at load with the same hardware, but I guess they got way lower voltage and/or just a better CPU.

I've been looking at replacing the H80i with a real water cooling-solution + 360 mm radiator.

I had a bad mount and had an idle temp of 35C too. I just needed some more TIM and now my idle is 26-27. 1.3v is too high for Haswell, especially with an H80. I am running my 4770K at 1.225v with an H320 and get max temps of 80-83C under avx stress testing.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

I have read reports of people getting 4.7 GHz at load with the same hardware, but I guess they got way lower voltage and/or just a better CPU.

I've been looking at replacing the H80i with a real water cooling-solution + 360 mm radiator.

4.7Ghz would be amazing. My i5 3570k is a pretty decent OC'er, 1.29v for 4.6Ghz (I haven't oc'ed higher as the h80 I have can't cope with more) and ivy bridge is a better overclocker than haswell so I think your expectations are a little too high.

Also, do you NEED 1.3 volts for 4.5? Try with 1.2 with lower LLC

Tried lowering volts as suggested.

1.2V @ 4.5GHz - no boot

1.25V @ 4.5GHz - 60 C average with AIDA64 (System Stability Test) - Failed boot later on.

1.255V @ 4.5GHz - Testing with AIDA64 (System Stability Test)

To be continued..

Yeah just keep doing that until you find a stable voltage. I have to run about 1.28v to get my 4770k completely stable at 4.5ghz so you might find something similar works for you. However I have a fairly decent custom loop so temps are 20's idle and 50 to 60 full load. 

Tried lowering volts as suggested.

1.2V @ 4.5GHz - no boot

1.25V @ 4.5GHz - 60 C average with AIDA64 (System Stability Test) - Failed boot later on.

1.255V @ 4.5GHz - Testing with AIDA64 (System Stability Test)

To be continued..

What does your CPU-Z say your voltage is when you are stable? idle and load please

Ran a test when I was at work, result came out fine:

Idle: 28 C

Load average: 61 C

What does your CPU-Z say your voltage is when you are stable? idle and load please

Not sure really if im reading it correctly, but CPU-Z says the same when idling and during load test.
 1.254 V

It's good, if it's stable it's very good. 

Ran a test when I was at work, result came out fine:

Idle: 28 C

Load average: 61 C

Not sure really if im reading it correctly, but CPU-Z says the same when idling and during load test.

1.254 V

Yeah if that is stable then that is a good voltage for 4.5ghz, definitely one of the better 4670k's. I assume you are running your windows power management on performance and forcing static voltage through your bios if you are not noticing any different voltage at load or at idle?

Once you have found your stable voltage I would recommend you swap to adaptive voltage in your bios to let your cpu breathe a bit, this will allow your cpu to drop voltage when it is not under load and ramp under once it is. Just be aware than under stress testing like Aida64 your cpu will actually overvolt a bit using adaptive voltage that is why it is not recommended until after you have found your minimum voltage.Normal pc use like gaming etc it will not overvolt though. 

Does the override voltage (1.8v) mean he is going to 1.8v?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Does the override voltage (1.8v) mean he is going to 1.8v?

Nah as far as I am aware that is the input voltage and not the vcore. Stock is somewhere near 1.750 I think?