The reality of OnePlus

Aniallation

Everybody's excitement seems to be dying down about the OnePlus One. Is anybody here still waiting to get an invite?

In reality, it's just not happening. There are barely any invites compared to the amount of people waiting, and in general the system is really dumb. You need to be invited to spend money? Most people that I know as well as on the internet have just given up on waiting and bought Nexus 5's or LG G3's instead. There's still so much of a want for these things (or lack of production thereof) that Chinese companies are making clones of them and selling them for more then the actual One's. 

In fact, even the marketing team at OnePlus has to buy the Chinese clones to even advertise their products. Even they can't get their hands on a OnePlus One. In recent pics such as this one that they use to advertise the One on Facebook and Google+, it's obviously a fake OnePlus One. No Cyanogen logo, Chinese fine print, and CCC logo that doesn't exist on real OnePlus One. 

1268sup.jpg

I'm just starting to see it as a scheme for the company. They are a new company that didn't have much of a name, but got their name out there by having this super-spec'd phone at such a low price. As a result, they were swarmed with demand that they can't meet due to them being a just-started company and the "invite system" that they developed to try and control it is just leaving a bad look on the company. OnePlus is merely using the One to advertise their company and get their name out there. When they're done and they're a notable company, I highly doubt that the second phone they release is going to be anywhere near as cheap as the One was.

"Rawr XD"

I'm still waiting and I will keep waiting because I don't really want anything else

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

To be honest even if this particular product fails it has shown that it's possible to prouce a super high end phone for less that half the price the "fancy" brands ask for. The nexus 5 also came close to that, but didn't QUITE have all the exact bells and whistles of an s5 so some people still argued in favour of samsung, but now the game is over. When the next nexus (or google silver or whatever) phone comes out I'm almost sure it will follow the example of the 1+1 but without the availability issues and with full on stock android google support.

By the way why did you post this twice?

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

To be honest even if this particular product fails it has shown that it's possible to prouce a super high end phone for less that half the price the "fancy" brands ask for. The nexus 5 also came close to that, but didn't QUITE have all the exact bells and whistles of an s5 so some people still argued in favour of samsung, but now the game is over. When the next nexus (or google silver or whatever) phone comes out I'm almost sure it will follow the example of the 1+1 but without the availability issues and with full on stock android google support.

Well that's kind of the issue I'm going at. They didn't really manage to "produce" a super high end phone for the price they advertised. Hence the issues they're having with not only production, but their audience right now.

The topic was supposed to be moved but it didn't happen as well as I expected it to. It's solved now.

"Rawr XD"

Well that's kind of the issue I'm going at. They didn't really manage to "produce" a super high end phone for the price they advertised. Hence the issues they're having with not only production, but their audience right now.

The topic was supposed to be moved but it didn't happen as well as I expected it to. It's solved now.

If they made even just ONE which could be sold at that price, Google & partners can massproduce it for sure.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Invite me plz

Edit: Wrong Forum

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Of course it's possible to produce it, Google have been doing it for years with the Nexus line. The One Plus is only a bit better than the Nexus 5 and at this rate it'll be released fully a year after launch so it'll be in line with the Nexus release cycle. The thing I have issue with in these cheaper phones is the factory workers who assemble them. I'm sure Google could release that modular smart phone now on a limited market but why bother build up hype for something that will die out and have to be rebuilt come full launch?

You have to wonder what corners got cut to bring the device to market at such a low price, the Nexus 5 was build quality in my opinion. My first one had a broken display upon arriving and the 2nd one I have now has a dodgy vibration motor. The build quality of the one plus hasn't been seen on a mass market scale yet but if it's good you have to wonder how much the workers are getting paid. For this reason I'll probably stick with my Nexus for a few years.

Of course it's possible to produce it, Google have been doing it for years with the Nexus line. The One Plus is only a bit better than the Nexus 5 and at this rate it'll be released fully a year after launch so it'll be in line with the Nexus release cycle. The thing I have issue with in these cheaper phones is the factory workers who assemble them. I'm sure Google could release that modular smart phone now on a limited market but why bother build up hype for something that will die out and have to be rebuilt come full launch?

You have to wonder what corners got cut to bring the device to market at such a low price, the Nexus 5 was build quality in my opinion. My first one had a broken display upon arriving and the 2nd one I have now has a dodgy vibration motor. The build quality of the one plus hasn't been seen on a mass market scale yet but if it's good you have to wonder how much the workers are getting paid. For this reason I'll probably stick with my Nexus for a few years.

I see where you're coming from. I ordered three Nexus 5's on launch day and when they arrived there wasn't any problems with them. Google is producing these phones cheap, but not at cost like OnePlus is. They are making profit from it, just obviously not as much as other companies like Samsung or HTC are with their phones. And this is when Google is a well known, well funded company. With OnePlus, they are a starting company with not a lot of money, but they are putting out a phone with huge demand and selling them at cost, which is why if you think about it it's not gonna happen. They need to make some money to put into their company and selling their first phone to the general public at cost isn't very reasonable, hence which is why I think that it's either going to take a long time for public release, or a higher cost public release.

"Rawr XD"

Totally agree with you. The company has had a horrible track record quite far frankly. They promised a 5.5" screen in a 5" body. This is by no means that. The thing is huge. Bigger than the Note 3. LG did it right with the G3, and showed OnePlus what it should have done. This is basically just a slightly redesigned Oppo Find 7. Which makes sense since they're made in the same factory.

As for them using the fake phone, I don't think it's a fake. They have released their phone in China as well, where you can buy it without an invite as they're releasing them in limited batches. The CCC is Chinas version of the FCC, and as for the Chinese characters, well. That's rather obvious.

You can readily buy the OnePlus from China, however it runs on Oppo's ColorOS. Surprise.

I believe they're trying to limit the people who can buy them to increase their desire. Which is pretty stupid. They claimed that the invite system is better than preorders. It's not. By any stretch of the imagination.
With preorders you know exactly how many phones you have to produce. Then you can build a small amount more to see how the market does. That's why this marketing practice still exists.

There were a fair number of issues with the phones they did manage to get to people, and they were packed really poorly. They could have sprung the $1.50 for a nice custom wooden box for those 100 people who won them but they didn't. Bubble wrapped, poorly applied screen protectors, no chargers. Really? If they can't send 100 phones out properly, how are they going to do tens of thousands and beyond?

There's also their business strategy, or lack thereof. No profit on the device. Not sure how they plan to advance.

They're made by Oppo, which has their own factories and I believe very high worker standards. Not as high as the US wage perhaps, but cost of living is also much lower. That's not something I'd really worry about.

I see where you're coming from. I ordered three Nexus 5's on launch day and when they arrived there wasn't any problems with them. Google is producing these phones cheap, but not at cost like OnePlus is. They are making profit from it, just obviously not as much as other companies like Samsung or HTC are with their phones. And this is when Google is a well known, well funded company. With OnePlus, they are a starting company with not a lot of money, but they are putting out a phone with huge demand and selling them at cost, which is why if you think about it it's not gonna happen. They need to make some money to put into their company and selling their first phone to the general public at cost isn't very reasonable, hence which is why I think that it's either going to take a long time for public release, or a higher cost public release.

Something you guys have to remember when you're talking about Google and the Nexus line of devices, is that Google subsidizes them. They're giving money to LG, per device, to sell it at a lower price.

If they were actually sold at the $350 mark without subsidization, LG would lose money. The big companies have so much more that they need to pay for, then the hardware itself.

The guy who started OnePlus is the son of the person who owns the parent company of Oppo and a few other brands. Special treatment goes a long way to helping with cost.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If they were actually sold at the $350 mark without subsidization, LG would lose money. The big companies have so much more that they need to pay for, then the hardware itself.

I remember reading somewhere that samsung pays their top end phones about 180$ each, the rest is profit ^^ I know there's more they have to pay for, but still, lol.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I remember reading somewhere that samsung pays their top end phones about 180$ each, the rest is profit ^^ I know there's more they have to pay for, but still, lol.

The BOM of the S5 is somewhere around $250. That's just the materials alone.

You also have packaging, shipping, marketing, certification, not to mention R&D and other expenses.

They make money, yes. But that's the entire purpose of a business.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

As for them using the fake phone, I don't think it's a fake. They have released their phone in China as well, where you can buy it without an invite as they're releasing them in limited batches. The CCC is Chinas version of the FCC, and as for the Chinese characters, well. That's rather obvious.

You can readily buy the OnePlus from China, however it runs on Oppo's ColorOS. Surprise.

Actually OnePlus was on their Facebook page a week or so ago telling people to be careful of buying fake OnePlus One's online, and there were differences that OnePlus said themselves to be wary of, such as the missing Cyanogen logo. OnePlus says these devices are not under their support, so they won't be guaranteed warranty support, frequency bands, software updates, etc. from official OnePlus.

"Rawr XD"

Their marketing scheme is really garbage I don't get why did this they over-hyped a product that hasn't come out yet and now there is way more demand than supply.

$$金Trill金$$

I'm still waiting and I will keep waiting because I don't really

want anything else

Sorry to say but by the time you could buy one a better phone will already be there, for less...

Sorry to say but by the time you could buy one a better phone will already be there, for less...

Then I'll get that phone....

I'm not locked into OnePlus, it's just my best bet for now. 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

And yes, I kept repeating it, and people were like ' hey man, wait until June for invites to spread'.

End of June and we haven't seen 2 shits.

Garbage tactic, get a N5.