[Rumor] windows 9 could allow metro to be disabled at will

pixeldensity

The Russian Group WZOR, a group renowned for their leaks about upcoming Windows products, has revealed some early details about Windows 9. The new full operating system is set for a H1 2015 release and according to WZOR Windows 9 brings some significant changes. Apparently Microsoft has recognised the different needs of touch-device and traditional desktop users so an option to disable the Metro UI is included with Windows 9 Enterprise Edition. This would recreate the traditional working environment of a desktop PC and remove touch elements of the OS.

So basically a group for well known leaking information about windows product says that M$ has acknowledged that a good amount of people do not like Metro and therefore will allow the disabling of metro UI.

I know there are a lot of people who don't like Metro UI and a lot of people who do, I personally fall into the category of being indifferent to it. This is a good move from M$, they should of done this with win 8.

http://www.eteknix.com/windows-9-could-allow-users-to-disable-metro/

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

TBH kinda excited for WIN9 because I've basically skipped 8

Diamond 5 in League :)

Enterprice edition is a lot more expensive though. M$ comon.

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

meh, win 8 is pretty good,m iv had no real issues and metro is WAY easier and faster to navigate 

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

meh, win 8 is pretty good,m iv had no real issues and metro is WAY easier and faster to navigate 

^This!! I absolutely love the 8.1 after the update1

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

This is stupid, get rid of the damn start menu already and don't bring it back. I like metro and it needs to stay that way. >: (

meh, win 8 is pretty good,m iv had no real issues and metro is WAY easier and faster to navigate.

The nonsense is the apps, why u need fullscreen just to set up your wifi or bluetooth? or the overlay on the right side? from the productivity stand point you may aswell skip W8 and wait for W9 or stay in W7

but yes i love W8 with my zenbook touch display

The nonsense is the apps, why u need fullscreen just to set up your wifi or bluetooth? or the overlay on the right side? from the productivity stand point you may aswell skip W8 and wait for W9 or stay in W7

yes, turning off the full screen apps is part of the setup process :P

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

This is stupid, get rid of the damn start menu already and don't bring it back. I like metro and it needs to stay that way. >: (

I feel I speak for everyone when I say, "You are fricking crazy."

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Get rid of the Metro that no one uses and never bring it back period.

Also no one uses apps on desktop pc so yeah great R&D M$, not.

So it was going to be 8.1 then 8.2, now 9 and when that date comes around 9.1 and they will keep just moving the bar until hopefully you get used to be a second class citizen forced to use an interface clearly designed for the mobile os.

Hopefully Steam OS will be mature enough by them to skip 9 altogether.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Too bad it's awful and tons of people hate it.. I understand why Microsoft originally did it because if they didn't make some asinine change why would anyone buy an OS that's almost the same, but I mean Christ that's not the way to do it..

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

I've already disabled it in windows 8 so no incentive to upgrade so far :P

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

You know what's stupid? That comment.

You are basically saying "I like it this way so therefore EVERYONE should be FORCED to have it that way". Giving people choice is always good. That's what Microsoft should have done to begin with. Prompt users if they want to use a "Classic" GUI or a "Modern" GUI on the first boot, and then have an easy to reach option to change it. If you pick Classic then Metro is completely disabled and you get a Windows 7-ish start menu. If you pick Modern you get Metro.

My guess is that they didn't do this because they wanted to force as many people to use Metro as possible. Why? Because Windows Phone and RT doesn't have any marketshare and people therefore don't feel like developing for it. By forcing all laptop and desktop customers to be able to run Metro apps Microsoft increased the userbase for WP/RT apps by several order of magnitude. They are trying to use their desktop and laptop monopoly to break into the smartphone space.

It reminds me of what Google did with YouTube and Google+. Instead of just making Google+ better in order to compete, they instead forced everyone on YouTube to use it. Microsoft is doing the same with Metro. Just replace Google+ with Windows Phone/Windows RT, and YouTube with Windows.

A rule I would like all companies to follow is this: If people don't like/use your product, don't force it on them by injecting it into one of your more popular products.

I like Metro. It's so much easier to use and making everything easily accessible and categorised by pinning them to the start screen is great. Tap the Windows key, click a massive icon of whatever I want to start and done. The amount of times I've started the wrong program due to the icons being small and compressed together is insane with the old start menu.

Tap the key then click. So my hands must be on the keyboard + mouse? 

You could just use the start menu and type what you want. i.e. Press the Windows Key, type "St" then press enter since it's already on Steam. No mouse required. 

Less hand transitions = better imo. Anything that effectively requires the mouse is a negative to me. Yes, you could press Windows Key + W to open the search, but that search is weird already because it has that drop down menu for what you are searching in. Example: Mine is set to settings by default because I never use it. If I type Steam, it's not gonna come up because Steam isn't in settings. I don't know if you can change the default, but limiting the search to any sub-section is stupid imo. Unless you are just on an uber slow computer (good luck with that).

I know it sounds like I'm being picky, but relearning shortcuts is annoying, constantly requiring me to use a mouse is asinine imo, and the biggest offender that's already been mentioned (Full screen Apps) is just horrible. The Start Screen is one of those apps, incidentally. 

Besides, my start menu uses less monitor real-estate and does more. I don't see the purpose in using Start Screen over the Start Menul.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

MS will keep with their recent tradition of one good os one bad one.. win9 will probably be good will probably get it end of next year when i plan to upgrade, will see what intel and AMD are doing by this time next year . although friend wants to dump his 3770k setup for a small APU setup since all he does is browse the net, cheap parts might sway me

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

I feel I speak for everyone when I say, "You are fricking crazy."

No, not really. Metro is amazing because you can do a lot with it and it's easy to navigate.

Too bad it's awful and tons of people hate it.. I understand why Microsoft originally did it because if they didn't make some asinine change why would anyone buy an OS that's almost the same, but I mean Christ that's not the way to do it..

It's not awful, people are just too ignorant to allow any amount of good change in to something they like too much. Just because you like something doesn't mean it's the best implementation. Neither is Metro but it's a hell of a lot better.

You know what's stupid? That comment.

You are basically saying "I like it this way so therefore EVERYONE should be FORCED to have it that way". Giving people choice is always good. That's what Microsoft should have done to begin with. Prompt users if they want to use a "Classic" GUI or a "Modern" GUI on the first boot, and then have an easy to reach option to change it. If you pick Classic then Metro is completely disabled and you get a Windows 7-ish start menu. If you pick Modern you get Metro.

My guess is that they didn't do this because they wanted to force as many people to use Metro as possible. Why? Because Windows Phone and RT doesn't have any marketshare and people therefore don't feel like developing for it. By forcing all laptop and desktop customers to be able to run Metro apps Microsoft increased the userbase for WP/RT apps by several order of magnitude. They are trying to use their desktop and laptop monopoly to break into the smartphone space.

It reminds me of what Google did with YouTube and Google+. Instead of just making Google+ better in order to compete, they instead forced everyone on YouTube to use it. Microsoft is doing the same with Metro. Just replace Google+ with Windows Phone/Windows RT, and YouTube with Windows.

A rule I would like all companies to follow is this: If people don't like/use your product, don't force it on them by injecting it into one of your more popular products.

Above comment. Also, when change comes it should be accepted if you're not blinded by ignorance to see how good it is. Going backwards is never a good thing. That's what people want.

I like Metro. It's so much easier to use and making everything easily accessible and categorised by pinning them to the start screen is great. Tap the Windows key, click a massive icon of whatever I want to start and done. The amount of times I've started the wrong program due to the icons being small and compressed together is insane with the old start menu.

The metro start screen is horrible. It's messy and pointless. There is absolutely no reason for it to be added, it ruins the flow when you're trying to work on something, if you hit the wrong thing on the start screen, you have to go back to the start screen and click desktop. It's a royal pain in the ass. Also, it's horizontal, what idiot thought that was a good idea. If it was vertical, it would still be meh, but horizontal, come on, all mice wheels work vertically, so scrolling through alot of icons is weird.

No, not really. Metro is amazing because you can do a lot with it and it's easy to navigate.

It's not awful, people are just too ignorant to allow any amount of good change in to something they like too much. Just because you like something doesn't mean it's the best implementation. Neither is Metro but it's a hell of a lot better.

Above comment. Also, when change comes it should be accepted if you're not blinded by ignorance to see how good it is. Going backwards is never a good thing. That's what people want.

Change is only good when it doesn't fuck everything over.

My Build

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 ARMOUR | CPU: i7 9700k | Ram: 16gb 3200mhz Motherboard: ASUS Maximus XI Gene | Storage: 2x 1TB NVME 1x 500GB NVME 1x 120GB NVME | Case: Corsair 570X

I can't possibly believe that after looking at this tread people couldn't see that there obviously needs to be a choice just based on all the arguing here.. (Even if some of it is far more stupid than others,,, *cough people just don't know how to decide what they like themselves..)

Note:

@AlwaysFSX

Edit: Read post below before you start flaming if you can't understand what I wrote.. (That probably sounds way worse, but some people need the extra hints sometimes..)

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

-snip-

I'm 100% fine with change when it makes sense and is good. Metro is neither for a Desktop PC. It's both for a tablet or other touch screen interface, but definitely neither for a Desktop PC.

This guy said it best---V

Change is only good when it doesn't fuck everything over.

† Christian Member †

I can't possibly believe that after looking at this tread people couldn't see that there obviously needs to be a choice just based on all the arguing here.. (Even if some of it is far more stupid than others,,, *cough people just don't know how to decide what they like themselves..)

Note:

@AlwaysFSX

So I'm an stupid because I find use in Metro? Kay then. You're insane.

I'm 100% fine with change when it makes sense and is good. Metro is neither for a Desktop PC. It's both for a tablet or other touch screen interface, but definitely neither for a Desktop PC.

This guy said it best---V

It works perfectly fine on PC. People complain about the size everything takes up, why haven't you all complained about having to move your mouse to the top right corner of a window to close it? Ignorance. Ignorance abounds.

So I'm an stupid because I find use in Metro? Kay then. You're insane.

No you totally didn't listen to whhat I said at all. I'm saying from comments I've seen from you in this topic that you've pretty much put your stance to be people who don't like metro just don't know what's good for them. Which I find to be very stupid, not you for liking metro but for acting like you are the only correct side. Yes I do hate Metro but I think it's fine that other people like it and I think that because there is a large divide that there should be an option. Really I fail to see how someone who likes Metro would be in any way upset about it as it doesn't affect you in any negative way and only helps those who don't like it..