Fez Creator Phil Fish: YouTubers Should Pay Game Devs "Huge Portion" of Revenue

In a series of tweets, Phil Fish, creator of "FEZ",stated that youtuber who stream gameplay content should pay game devs a huge portion of their revenue, as "from which they steal all their content".

"YouTubers should have to pay out a huge portion of their revenue to the developers from which they steal all their content," Fish said in the first of a series of tweets. "[Ad] revenue should be shared with developers," he continued. "This should be built into YouTube. Anything else is basically piracy."

He then tweeted several more times, as follows:

"If you generate money from putting my content on your channel, you owe me money. Simple as that." "If you buy a movie, are you then allowed to stream the entirety of it publicly for people to watch for free? No, because that's illegal." "Systems are in place to prevent that. But buy Fez, put ALL of it on YouTube, turn on ads, make money from it and that's TOTALLY FINE." "And the developer should in NO WAY be compensated for their work being freely distributed to the world. Right. Makes sense."

Since then, Fish's twitter was flooded with tweets disagrees with his ideas, and he soon limited his twitter account to approved followers, or even possible deleted his account.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fez-creator-phil-fish-youtubers-should-pay-game-devs-huge-portion-of-revenue/1100-6420573/

I disagree, tell they stop making crappy ports, and making excuses about 60FPS, they deserve nothing.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I say otherwise, they're actually promoting the game.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

um, half my games i play ive gotten because of NerdCubed playing them....

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Sounds like something EA would say, not an indie developer.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

While I wouldn't say I agree with him, I definitely will say it's not as cut-and-dry as the internet wants this argument to be. When huge games like Call of Duty get gameplay footage on youtube, it really doesn't affect them. But a small, niche game? Or an indie game? I'm willing to get that youtube playthroughs actually do make a noticeable dent in their income.

He wants people to pay him on top of free advertising? Some people...

Says the guy who rage quit on his career because he had a Twitter fight.

Moving on...

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

And people continue to hate the Fish.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Yea let's pay companies money so that we can make them more money #logic

RIP in pepperonis m8s

For what? Playing your game(s) and giving you free advertisement? There are countless of games that I bought due to a Youtuber, reviewer, forum goer, friends, etc. have played, recorded, talked about, or written about. What's next? If a friend mentions a game, he'll have to fork over $1 to you? Or how about a forum user talking about Fez? Does she have to pay you to mention your "masterpiece"?

I'd love to be a Let's Player or whatever they call it nowadays, but I will never accept the partnership unless all the money goes to charities of my picking. Do I have to pay your ass then? All the money going to medical research, veteran, disabled, mental health care, and schools, and shit? Now I have to pay your sorry ass 'cause your game isn't making enough cash? Make another game then, asshole. I would be spending my own hard-earned cash to do something I love and now I have to pay you?! Goddamned prick.

Sorry, my rant's over, but whenever I see the Fez creator's name anywhere on recent news, all I see are pretentious, entitled, rude bullshit coming from him.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Is he basically saying that if I watch friend at his house playing some game then I am pirate? Or is he pirate because he is allowing me to see gameplay of game I don't own?

I highly disagree with this.

I'm just gonna leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzeULO59hG0

Do not  as I  do, and  not  as I say. Instead do as you may..

HSS Revenir: CPU=i7 5960x @4.5GHz Heatsink=Corsair H100i MOBO=ROG Rampage 5 RAM=Kingston HyperX Predator 16GB @3000MHz SSD=Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB GPU=R9 295x2 PSU=Corsair AX1500i OS=Windows 7 Ultimate

This guy is the biggest douche in the industry... I thought he had retired.

Every time a game developer comes out and says something like this, and there has been a lot lately, The responses from forums like these are highly predictable and often very negative in nature.  Surely they aren't that stupid to be trolling their own market base, or even making comments that they know will have a negative impact.  So I am thinking that they make comments like these solely for the backlash that they will get because similar sized PR just can't be bought cheaper.   If this is true, then that makes most of us pawns in some mans money making game?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

does anyone actually care about what this guy says? I literally didn't buy his game because he's a whining little bitch on twitter.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Every time a game developer comes out and says something like this, and there has been a lot lately, The responses from forums like these are highly predictable and often very negative in nature.  Surely they aren't that stupid to be trolling their own market base, or even making comments that they know will have a negative impact.  So I am thinking that they make comments like these solely for the backlash that they will get because similar sized PR just can't be bought cheaper.   If this is true, then that makes most of us pawns in some mans money making game?

Well, what this guy is asking for is a "huge portion" rather than a small cut like maybe 5% for whatever a Youtuber makes. I'm assuming this guy wants like 50% or hell, even 75% of the cut which is insane, wrong, and dickish. I don't remember Nintendo saying how much revenue would be taken.

Right now, the gaming industry is basically going through what the music industry is going through with. Artists make most of their money through concerts rather than selling their songs and albums - sellers, publishers, etc. all get a cut. Similarly, game developers make their money through selling their games, but stuff like advertisements, working under publishers, etc. means whatever they make is getting cut up to pay for the other services. There's a reason why game developers are looking towards Kickstarter so they don't have to deal with a budget/loan given to them by the publisher. Not only that, both the music and gaming industry are kinda corrupt and stagnant. Music is focused so much on pop and rap while using scandals to draw in views and stuff while gaming has been stuck with shooters and strange business practices like DLC, pre-orders, cut content, etc. Now, we have game developers saying stuff based on their beliefs and I bet some are doing it to get attention while others do have valid and debatable topics and solutions.

As for the whole "streaming it for free for everyone". Umm, people do that with music anyway, along with pirating music. As for films, the older ones and more obscure ones get streamed or uploaded anyway. Same with anime and manga. Films, especially high-budget ones are more regulated, but people are used to renting and going to a movie theater. As for music, well, people listened to it on the radio, their friends and family who do covers of them, through albums, etc. Games work in the same way since many gamers have watched their older sibling and friends play games before becoming gamers themselves.

This guy, however, just comes off as an ass every time I see his name pop up. I don't give a damn how great your game is, you're not da Vinci, Monet, Manet, etc. And you know what's funny? Those great artists some times died hated, forgotten, and humiliated until others saw and understood their great works.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I disagree, tell they stop making crappy ports, and making excuses about 60FPS, they deserve nothing.

Developers are not a collective whose wages should be decided based on their total performance, but even if they were this is a terrible terrible opinion. 

You cannot compare video games to movies. You can't really compare video games to anything. Video games are an interactive experience. Saying that watching someone else play a video game is equivalent to playing it yourself is like saying that watching someone play D&D is equivalent to playing it yourself. It just isn't true. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Acquisitions Inc., but for the commentary, not the game itself. Watching it will never be the same as playing.

but even if they were this is a terrible terrible opinion. 

Again, I disagree,but hey thats the great things about opinions :D

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Phil Fish? Oh yea that douchebag existed......

Two revolutionary dance tones