would you buy an alienware x51 for half price

so i have found an alienware x51 with i7-4790 and r9 270 for £475. i have been looking for a pc and this seems like a deal. should i get it? thanks

edit: it has been used for 6 months. that is it.

Thats a Very good deal. GET IT!!!

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

so i have found an alienware x51 with i7-4790 and r9 270 for £475. i have been looking for a pc and this seems like a deal. should i get it? thanks

hmmmmmm..... I always prefer a regular pc because of the hobby and just glory of having your own upgradeable pc :) but if you just want like a console experience and dont care about changing stuff in your pc then that would be awesome 

Its all looks these days

Depends where it's from. Used or new?

it is used for 6 months.

Helllllllllllllll yeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

forgot to mention. it has been used for 6 months :)

forgot to mention. it has been used for 6 months :)

So long as it starts I would buy it.

I would buy it. Good deal.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Corsair H100i Pro | ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 | Corsair Vengeance 32GB 2x16gb @ 3200mhz  | Vega 64 @ Stock | Fractal Design Define R4 | Corsair RM750

ThinkPad T480 | Intel Core i7 8650u | Nvidia MX150 | 32GB DDR4 @ 2400mhz | Samsung 840 Pro 1tb | 1080p touchscreen

I would buy it. Good deal.

think i might just have to. any advice on what to do to it when i get it as it is used. reinstall windows? anything else?

Yes!! I would buy that.

It's a good price, if it's new go for it,

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Just make sure it works but otherwise, I'll do it

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

It's a good price, if it's new go for it,

used for 6 months

Just take into account that alienware computers are what they are, most things are permanent and can't be changed. My friend has a old alienware, he brought it over to my house to be cleaned and have windows reinstalled. When I went to clean the fans, I found that they were permanently attached to the case, along with the PSU.

Just make sure it works, if possible, before you buy it. If it runs, definitely get it. :D

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

You can't build a better PC for that amount of money, so why not? Specs are specs; the brand label on the case doesn't matter..

Just make sure that everything works properly before buying it if you can..

Just take into account that alienware computers are what they are, most things are permanent and can't be changed. My friend has a old alienware, he brought it over to my house to be cleaned and have windows reinstalled. When I went to clean the fans, I found that they were permanently attached to the case, along with the PSU.

The only thing that isn't upgradeable to aftermarket hardware is the external PSU, and the only thing that's proprietary is an internal power delivery and lighting control board.. Otherwise, it's a pretty standard M-ITX system that uses a 90° bracket to hold the GPU.. 

Granted, it is limited by how much power the PSU can deliver, but otherwise it isn't overly limiting.. For that price, it's a decent deal.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

That would be one expensive sh*tbucket for me...I'll pass

I would not suggest getting it, even for half price. You never know when something can go wrong with it. Just build your own PC, you choose your parts and it's extremely fun!

I'd buy it but here's my gripe, yes it will do better than a ps4/xbox one at 1080p and get high settings but!

I already have an xbox one that practically is my htpc as so far games released for it SUCK! And I got the Ps4 pretty much for exclusives, Infamous Second Son is probably the best game "IMHO" on the console.

I would buy it if the price was right and if I could find the extreme for under 1k.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I would buy it from a friend or acquaintance. Not eBay tho

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

If it has been used for 6 months get the guy selling it to guarantee everything works properly in writing, and then i'd say go for it.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

Yeah that is a pretty good deal, but do you trust the seller?

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Its a fairly good deal imo. But I would get some kind of return policy agreement with the seller so you would be able to test it out for maybe 30 days to see if it is good and using that time in playing games and running benchmarks/stress tests to see if the system is running fine.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer