Turning PC off \ putting to Sleep \ Keeping on

Some great comments here :D

I think that basically the reason I asked was that from my life experience, nothing is 100% positive, if you benefit from something, there must be some kind of a downside. and yet, I don't see a downside to putting my PC to sleep. universe loophole I guess.

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

Corsair M45 mouse | Corsair K65 Keyboard | LG 27EA33V 27' ips| 

•  

I leave it on 24/7. I have 8 HDD's (Total of 18 TB) in my PC along with a SSD boot drive. Keeping the hard drives on rather than on/off cycle that turning off  at night would induce, reduces the chance for a problem. I dont know if that is totaly bull shit; I read it somewhere a long time ago. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I probably still would run my Desktop 24/7 because I also run a Plex media server for my home so others can use it whenever. 

If you love what you do, it's not work.

I leave it on 24/7. I have 8 HDD's (Total of 18 TB) in my PC along with a SSD boot drive. Keeping the hard drives on rather than on/off cycle that turning off  at night would induce, reduces the chance for a problem. I dont know if that is totaly bull shit; I read it somewhere a long time ago. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

I probably still would run my Desktop 24/7 because I also run a Plex media server for my home so others can use it whenever. 

I run a plex server on my computer as well.. Really the main reason I leave the computer on.. I could stop seeding the torrents for a bit... but I that Plex server must stay on.

I almost always turn my pc off but I always put my laptop to sleep.

I almost always turn my pc off but I always put my laptop to sleep. both are from 2009 and both have SSD hard drives

I have a task running on a daily basis that if by X time if im not using the pc it will go to sleep and or it will go to sleep period ( one for at night and one for the morning ). i had a task to have it wake up right before i got up so i could check my email or the weather but i use my phone for that so now i wake it up only when i need to before work, then after X time it goes to sleep... like 5 mins after i usually leave.

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

I sleep my PC and use the WOL feature on my iPhone/iPad to wake it when I'm going to be using it and I can just like... enter my room and go.

I turn it off on fridays because I work weekends and won't be using it. I also turn it off occasionally when I know I won't jump on it first thing in the morning to work on a project.

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X | Mobo: ASUS Strix X570-I Gaming ITX | GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti Founders Edition | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB 3600MHz | Storage: Corsair Force MP600 1TB PCI-e Gen 4 & 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Cooler: Stock Prism | Case: NZXT H210i | PSU: Corsair CS500M

i turn it off every night because it wastes power and has led light which i cannot sleep with and fan is loud. if im going somewhere for less then 4 hours i will put it to sleep so i have all my stuff open when i get home and i turn it off for anything longer.

I turn mine off because of my high DPI when the pc is asleep even the smallest movement of the mouse makes it turn back on, which annoys

Me.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

leave on....cos it doesnt turn off!

take out the battery (obviously turns off), put it back in, dont touch a thing.....and it starts up.

Check your UEFI/BIOS to see if it is a setting that is causing that.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

Turn it off each night, figure with SSD bootup its going to be fast enough anyways.

I have a NAS back at home for all my torrenting needs, so that is always on for downloading, backups.

If I ever want to move a large file to/from said NAS, I stick it on a pen drive and leave my Pi uploading/downloading via FTP over night. Its more power efficient and also silent. 

Silent is a big deal when you sleep in the same room as the tech.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

I turn mine off because of my high DPI when the pc is asleep even the smallest movement of the mouse makes it turn back on, which annoys

Me.

your mouse shouldn't turn on you PC when it moves only when you click it... :/

Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced | i5 3570k @ 4.2ghz | MSI gtx 660ti pe oc | Gygabite z77x-d3h | 8GB g.skill ripjaws| Samsung 830 ssd  | Seasonic m12II 620w

•  

Silent is a big deal when you sleep in the same room as the tech.

My PC is so silent, usually I'll need to double check if it's on by looking at the led's or the fans. my PC is in my bedroom, where me and my wife AND my baby sleep. I have it for about a year and a half and I'm still amazed at how silent it is.

•  

your mouse shouldn't turn on you PC when it moves only when you click it... :/

really? mine does. I don't click it or anything, just move it.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

My PC is almost always on, I just put it to sleep when I am not using it. Only really gets turned off when I will be gone for more than a day or two.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Hey, I made a private server for a game (Maplestory) a week ago, and in order to keep it on 24/7 I need to leave my pc on too.... Is it ok to leave my computer on all the time?

hi

As long as your temperatures are safe yes :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

TBH, i usually leave it on sleep. Primarily because i simply need to press a button on the keyboard ( I'm lazy like that)

But at night , i turn it off.

its totally ok to run your pc 24/7. just hope youre profiting from this server

its totally ok to run your pc 24/7. just hope youre profiting from this server

Doing really good actually, got 10dollars in the first week (lol this might sound bad, but I never really had a job so im shocked) I do it more for fun anyways :D 

I'm glad to hear that it's fine, got worried.

Will it help anything if I restart my computer once a day? Or will it do nothing?

hi

I turn mine off every night, and when I know I'm going to be away from it for between 10 minutes to 30 minutes. I'll put it in sleep mode otherwise I'll turn it off.

No... I'm not ready for my thread to die, not yet.... nooooo......

Hey, I made a private server for a game (Maplestory) a week ago, and in order to keep it on 24/7 I need to leave my pc on too.... Is it ok to leave my computer on all the time?

if your pc doesnt mind then, why not

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

Doing really good actually, got 10dollars in the first week (lol this might sound bad, but I never really had a job so im shocked) I do it more for fun anyways :D

that is good to hear. I think i must have been running game servers wrong as i ran cs servers for 4+ years and all it did was cost me money lol

you shouldnt really need to restart it unless it is having problems i keep my computer running months at a time before restarts