Cursing

chimmychunger

Why are so many people against it, if they are not used in a mean way then they are totally fine to use they are just words after all. 

Why are so many people against it, if they are not used in a mean way then they are totally fine to use they are just words after all. 

Curse words express situations and can aid to a much deeper conversation, most folk who are against even that when in a suitable manner just have mental issues.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

I started swearing around 4th grade since I hung out with a "bad crowd" of 5th graders who thought they were badass or something - the elementary school was kind of ghetto-ish -, so 10 years-old. I pretty much have a sailor's mouth. In formal situations though, like any other sailor, swearing goes away.

10 years-old isn't that bad. Hell, I hear 6 year-olds saying stuff like that from time to time. Yes, this includes the N-word and whatever curse words are in the entire English language, Scottish, Irish, British, American, Australian, whatever.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

Cursing exhibits a lacking vocabulary and the person's inability to communicate effectively.

It certainly does not, people in general on the internet love to feel as if they have some kind of leg up over another person, thus using IQ and other minute things such as grammar, even when contested in negligence of their own behaviour.

I know you are not being bad here, but you are typing an ignorant statement.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Cursing exhibits a lacking vocabulary and the person's inability to communicate effectively.

That, anger, and pain. Also, trying to fit into a crowd. NSFW.

Edit: Added a NSFW tag.

| CPU: An abacus | Motherboard: Tin foil | RAM: 2 Popsicle sticks | GPU: Virtual Boy | Case: Cardboard box | Storage: Cardboard | PSU: 3... Er... Make that 2 hamsters | Display(s): Broken glass | Cooling: Brawndo | Keyboard: More cardboard | Mouse: Jerry | Sound: 2 Cans of SpaghettiO's |

I only half agree with this. 

On a typical daily basis hanging out with family and friends, I cuss like a sailor. 

However when there's a serious convo going on, or just some interwebz trolling, my potty mouth goes out with window and I pick people apart with words.

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

I'm not going to go into a big anthropological explanation, since that is way to diffucult for me to do.

Try looking at it this way: In the western world, we have a tradition that certain words and phrases are seen as magical. If you read Genesis 1 in the Old Testament God is, through words, willing existence itself into being.

In most of western litterature, magic is performed by a person that speaks a curse, and point an object at the person he/she wishes to curse. Usually the magic produced is also a product of a strong will.

In the middle ages and renaissance, cursing was seen as actual curses. In some catholic traditions, a person is able to curse another person, by simply speaking ´ill´ to that person. This mean that some words were considere ´bad´, and people who used those words were either seen as evil or stupid.

In todays world most people don't think they will be cursed by bad words, but remnants of the western thought still lingers in the present day. We still view certain words as bad, and certain words as good. 

We are also warned about speaking "unwholesome word" in the Bible, so that has probably influenced our view on cursing aswell. 

This can also explain why most Asian and African cultures had no idea about swearing before coming into contact with the western world.

In some West African tribes, language is seen only as a way to convey knowledge about the natural world. This would leave cursing as irrelevant, since it doesn't convey knowledge.

In some Asian cultures, they don't have a concept of ´cursing´ as we do in the west. You can be rude in a variety of ways, but there aren't words that are inherently bad. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It certainly does not, people in general on the internet love to feel as if they have some kind of leg up over another person, thus using IQ and other minute things such as grammar, even when contested in negligence of their own behaviour.

I know you are not being bad here, but you are typing an ignorant statement.

That, anger, and pain. Also, trying to fit into a crowd.

I do believe nitpicking is an awful way to state superiority but that does not mean cursing is any better way to communicate.

I do believe nitpicking is an awful way to state superiority but that does not mean cursing is any better way to communicate.

When I was young, I did follow the crowd which lead to my sailor's mouth. Now, screw them, I'm my own person. That said, I'm not going to go psychopathic or anything.

I only half agree with this. 

On a typical daily basis hanging out with family and friends, I cuss like a sailor. 

However when there's a serious convo going on, or just some interwebz trolling, my potty mouth goes out with window and I pick people apart with words.

I understand your point of view and I never stop anyone from using colorful words, but I try to keep my tongue as monochrome as possible. ^_^

Vocabulary has nothing to do with how one will use their words, as you can clearly see, i can type just like any other educated person, but i do and have typed up many curse words where they fit.

It is not all about trying to be this stuck up educated person, it is about having fun and feeling comfortable too.

Le Bastardo+ 

Red Alert

When I was young, I did follow the crowd which lead to my sailor's mouth. Now, screw them, I'm my own person. That said, I'm not going to go psychopathic or anything.

Vocabulary has nothing to do with how one will use their words, as you can clearly see, i can type just like any other educated person, but i do and have typed up many curse words where they fit.

It is not all about trying to be this stuck up educated person, it is about having fun and feeling comfortable too.

Yes vocabulary has nothing to do how we use the words, it just gives us a wider variety to choose the right word in different situation.

I am not saying that people who cuss are any less educated, our speech is very much dependent on our environment, culture, upbringing and proximity.

Yes vocabulary has nothing to do how we use the words, it just gives us a wider variety to choose the right word in different situation.

I am not saying that people who cuss are any less educated, our speech is very much dependent on our environment, culture, upbringing and proximity.

Why am I being involved here, again? This seems more like a convo between you and Recon-UK.

Why am I being involved here, again? This seems more like a convo between you and Recon-UK.

I am sorry, your message got quoted by mistake >.<

I am sorry, your message got quoted by mistake >.<

No biggie. 

A lot of it is the inferences and associations people make about it. Because they consider them "bad" or "filthy", some people consider them to be a sign of disrespect or unsavory character. It's also very generational. Culture has become more accepting of "bad" language over time as society has become more open in general.

I do find it annoying when it becomes an overused filler, though. Some people use cursing like an "uhm", or like, a like or whatever. Using filler words is fine, and it has its place in casual speech, but it gets annoying when every other word is filler for no good reason.

CPU-AMD FX 8350 @ 4.9Ghz | GPU-Sapphire 7970 OC | Motherboard-AsRock Extreme9 990fx | RAM-8GB Mushkin Blackline Ridgeback

Case-NZXT Switch 810 | Heatsink-NZXT HAVIK | SSD-Samsung 840 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barricuda 1TB; WD Green 2TB
PSU-Seasonic X-Series 850 Watt | Mouse-Razer Naga | Keyboard-Razer Blackwidow | Speakers-Logitech z623

Sometimes cursing is permitted, but usually I refrain from it simply because I find it crass and unnecessary. I reserve cursing for when a point needs to be driven home. 

"Sometimes it's easier to say "what the f$#@ happened there?" than "It looks like that server has an unusually high ping. I wonder if something happened with it, I'd better go check!"

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

as an x Baker/trucker now working in a office controlling my cursing has been very difficult. i have been pulled up on it a few times by upper management 

Adding a bit of spice never hurt anyone. Of course there are situations where cursing IS inappropriate. But normally, I don't have a problem with it.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Adding a bit of spice never hurt anyone. Of course there are situations where cursing IS inappropriate. But normally, I don't have a problem with it.

Of course, there is a time and a place. Also I hate when it's overused, it sounds tacky. 

I disagree. It is entirely possible to be fucking eloquent when swearing. I find it bloody helps to really hammer the shitty point home to use mother fucking swear words. I mean for Christ's sake, they are in the dictionary!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii